Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 08:18:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus. Goo goo g'joob.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

DT's Sub Dub Comparisons - Yugioh GX

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT's Sub Dub Comparisons - Yugioh GX  (Read 849 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:38 am »

Yugioh GX Episode 1 Sub Dub Comparison

As much as I love YGO, I never watched much of GX. Quite a few people seem to prefer it to the original series, and I can understand that. This premise is ridiculous, but it's part of the YGO franchise so ridiculous is a packaged deal. Also, out of all of the YGO main protagonists, Judai has the tamest hair ever. Well, let's get started, hmm?

Key Characters:

Judai Yuki/Jaden Yuki – An energetic upstart, many people don't think much of Judai when they first see him and he's constantly called nicknames such as “dropout boy” but that doesn't stop him from enjoying every duel and fighting with all his might. In the dub, he seems more full of himself. Deck Theme: Hero Deck.

Shou Marufuji/Syrus Truesdale – A shy duelist with low confidence, Shou is Judai's best friend and one of his roommates in the Slifer Red Dorm. He's constantly living in his big brother's, Ryo/Zane's, shadow as he's one of the best duelists in the Duel Academia while Shou just barely gets in. Deck Theme: Vehicroid (robots that look like vehicles) deck.

Asuka Tanjouin/Alexis Rhodes – Our only main female protagonist (and way better than Mai), Alexis is a high-ranked duelist in Obelisk Blue dorm. She's a very confident and professional duelist without being egotistical like many of the Obelisk Alumni. She may or may not have a thing with Judai. Deck theme: Being the only prominent female in the series (that I know of), of course she uses female monsters.

Ryo Marufuji/Zane Truesdale – The top duelist in the Duel Academia, Ryo is Shou's older brother, but he doesn't think much of his younger sibling. He's a very calm, collected and tactical duelist. Deck Theme: Like his younger brother, he also uses a machine deck, but not cartoony monsters like Shou's.

Jun Manjoume/Chazz Princeton – A cocky Obelisk Blue alum, Jun thinks very highly of himself and lowly of anyone that he doesn't believe to be a good duelist. While he's one of the antagonists in the beginning, he becomes a good guy later on...to a degree. Deck Theme: Mostly dragons.

Daichi Misawa/Bastion Misawa – A very knowledgeable and tactical duelist, Misawa puts a lot of thought into dueling so much so that it's basically a science to him. He's very calm and respectful and is acknowledged as the number 1 student in the entrance exams. Deck Theme: According to his Wiki page, he has a Japanese Yokai deck, based on monsters from ancient lore. However, he does employ monsters based on elements such as Hydrogeddon and Oxygeddon sometimes.

Cronos De Medici/Vellian Crowler: Known as Dr. Crowler (don'tlaughdon'tlaughdon'tlaugh), he is a professor at the Duel Academia who wants to keep the student body filled with elite duelists and not talentless slackers. (Though what exactly is the point of having a Duel Academy if the elite duelists are already there? I know it makes the best better, but that seems kinda pointless. That's like saying “We won't allow anyone who isn't already a doctor into medical school!”) Crowler's our antagonist for a good chunk of the series, but he's basically Team Rocket in how threatening he is. Deck Theme: Ancient Gears, machines.

Yugi Moto/Muto: Well, he doesn't make frequent appearances and you probably already know his story, but Yugi is the former hero of the preceding anime, Yugioh. He's the reigning King of Games and gives Judai the Winged Kuriboh card.

Plot: Judai Yuki is an aspiring duelist preparing to take his entrance exam into the Duel Academia. When one of the teachers at the school, a high ranked professor named Crowler, learns that a tardy upstart who scored low on his written exams wants to take his final exam, Crowler decides to teach him a lesson and uses his own deck to duel him himself. However, Crowler learns a lesson as well; never underestimate your opponent.

Entire Series Edit: The opening theme song is changed (KAN YA BELIEEB EET?1) Instead, we get a fairly catchy theme called Get Your Game On. Yes, it's lame, but at the very least it's catchy. I'm kinda disappointed because Yugioh actually had a really great theme song barring the “it's time to DUDUDUD—DUDUDUDUDUDUEL!” (Though personally it's ingrained in my memory) and instead we get this generic song. 4Kids did seem to get worse and worse with theme songs as time went by. We went from making one of the best and most memorable English themes to date with the first Pokemon theme to this and later to One Piece and Mew Mew Power...

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the opener in the original either, I think it's one of those songs that needs to grow on me. I mean, it's okay. But it seems kinda....clusterf**kish? Also it reminds me of Naruto's openers.

Also, you know the drill with 4Kids dubs. Always background music, most of it being 4Kids' score, hardly ever any silence and whatnot. Also, as with the YGO preceding it, the cards are painted to only show their type color, attack and defense powers and the picture for the card to avoid getting in trouble with whomever controls that stuff.

Judai originally tells us that his train was late, which is making him late for his exam. However, he takes this in stride and says it's just another test being thrown at him. In the dub, Jaden, with a serious look at first, says he's completely prepared for the exam barring his being late, but he doesn't care because it's not like he can get detention if he's not even accepted yet. This is kinda subtle, but it shows us differences in the character throughout the versions. Original Judai seems to take everything like a challenge that he's more than willing to face. Dub Jaden seems like a prepared yet lazy idiot. I'm not going to like Jaden as much as I like Judai as time goes on, am I?....I'm not going to like Jaden much period, am I?

Name Change: Judai Yuki is changed to Jaden Yuki. I will never fully understand why 4Kids chooses to change a Japanese first name but not a last name or vice versa. I know it's less Japanese, but it's still Japanese.

Also, this is our first glimpse at Yugi's older self in the series. Though they never show his face above the nose, he obviously looks and sounds exactly like Yami did. Fans speculate that this solidifies that Yugi is Yami's reincarnation, and that very well might be true. Then again, that would mean that Bakura's Yami Bakura's reincarnation and though the looks are pretty much the same, Bakura's nothing like Yami Bakura. Also, I'd hate to imagine timid little Bakura growing up to look exactly like Yami Bakura.   

The title card is missing and in it's place, they misplaced the opening theme. In the original, the opener was played at the very beginning of the episode. In the dub, it's after Jaden meets Yugi. I have a feeling this will be this way through the entire series.

Also, the title's kinda....well, fans might be kinda miffed by it. It's “Yugi's Successor.” While Judai is our new hero for the show, 'successor' kinda implies that he surpasses Yugi. To the best of my knowledge, while we have had several new heroes, the general consensus is that none of them can still surpass Yugi.

Title card:

If the title card is different each episode, I may update it like I do with Digimon, but it's pretty generic so it might not change. Yugioh's never changed.

Clips for the opener are kept relatively the same, but 4Kids changes several of them and switches places with a lot of them.

Opening narration tells us that the school is a part of Kaiba Land. In the dub, we get PA announcements about the exam and Crowler, in regards to talking about the duelists who fail the exam, says “good luck at Duel Monsters Community College.”........Guys, tell me that's not a thing. I know later we learn there is an actual Dueling college, but also community college? Tell me this isn't a thing!

More narration tells us that the Duel Academia's exam consists of two parts; written and practical exams. Those who get high enough grades on the written exam move on to the practical exam. Those who pass the practical exam are enrolled in the school and placed in a dorm based on their scores. In the dub, Syrus has inner monologue running instead saying how it's hard to concentrate with all of the academy kids staring at him and how he wishes he were already enrolled.

They also cut out another overhead shot of the separate duel arenas as the exams are being conducted.

The Life Point counter has been drastically altered in the new series.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

While the new one for the original is pretty generic and similar to the previous series in the original, barring it's color changing instead of blue, the new one of the dub is drastically changed. It's gold with several pointless decorations on it and in addition to a number life point counter there's also a life point gauge to the right. Guess 4Kids thought kids were so dumb they needed two visual indications of lowering life points instead of one.

Also, notice how 4Kids got the LP count on Misawa wrong. Originally he had 3000 and in the dub he has 3200.

The original exam proctor for Misawa's duel was telling him that there's no way he can reduce his life points since he has a super defense deck. In the dub, he mocks him by giving him a fake multiple choice question. “You have two monsters staring you down. Do you A: Throw in the towel, B: Beg for mercy or C: Cry home to mama?” Misawa originally just follows this by giving an explanation of his next move. In the dub, he responds to the conductor's taunts by saying “D: None of the above.”

Originally the Ring of Destruction card was a collar with grenades on it (Someone call Jigsaw) In the dub it's just a collar with fireballs on it.....On the card anyway. I guess 4Kids thought animating fire was too much so they just made them into little red egg things.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Yes, I also think it looks like he's wearing Christmas lights on his neck.

Dub Bastion: “Thank you O wise proctor.”....Bastion's not the type to be sarcastic so....ugh.

Name Change: Daichi Misawa is changed to Bastion Misawa.

One of Chazz's friends has a southern accent for no reason whatsoever. His other friend sounds like a stereotypical dumbass.

Chazz: “We went to Duel Prep school for three years...” TELL ME THIS ISN'T A THING! PLEASE! TELL ME!!

Name Change:
Jun Manjoume is changed to Chazz Princeton. Yes, with two Z's...and yes, Princeton. Bucksworth was already taken.

Jun originally says there's no room for two kings of Duel Academia. In the dub, he says he's going to teach these punk duelists the hard way; the Chazz Princeton way. Because if there's one way to solidify your status as a douche, it's speaking in third person.

Shou explains that your exam number is your test rank on the written exam. Misawa was the top of the class which means he's number 1. Shou was 119 and Judai was 110. Shou tells him that the lower ranked duel exams were over already, which meant Judai had a very short window to duel in. In the dub, they don't keep the ranks. They just say Bastion was the number one student in the written phase and that they just barely passed. To make Jaden freak out about his exam, Syrus' dialogue is changed to telling Jaden that Bastion's duel exam was meant to be the last one of the day.

Crowler: “Did you just call me 'sir?”

Registration guy: “Well, yes. I'm fairly new here and--”

Crowler: “I'll have you know I have a PhD in dueling. I think I've earned the title 'doctor'!”

…....A....p....A PhD....in dueling....did you hear that guys?....A PhD....in dueling.....a dueling....doctor.....hahahahahahahahahahah....hahahahahahahahaha!!.....Oh, doctor, please tell me what trap card would be best in this situation! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! A PHD....IN DUELING!! PBBBBTTTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHHHHAHAHAHA AND THEY SAY ART SCHOOL'S A WASTE OF MONEY. THAT'S A NICE USE OF LIKE 200,000 DOLLARS! Ohhh....I'm gonna kill myself.

The only thing that's getting me through these ridiculous claims is that these supposed titles and institutions only exist in the dub.....so far.

Crowler originally said that someone so low rank doesn't deserve his exam if he's tardy.

Crowler also seems to sneak Italian into his speech for whatever reason in the original. In the dub, this isn't present.

Name Change:
Principal Samejima is changed to Chancellor Sheppard.

Name Change: Cronos De Minici is changed to Vellian Crowler. Eh, I prefer writing Crowler so meh.

Samejima originally tells Crowler that he heard a new applicant might be refused because he was late due to a train incident. He tells Crowler to accept the exam applicant since their job is to train a diverse group of duelists and give everyone a fair shot. In the dub, Sheppard calls up to check to see if everything's okay since he doesn't want a repeat of last year where apparently Crowler dismissed a third of the potential applicants due to calling him 'mister'. You'd think that'd be a firable offense, but I guess there's only so many DUEL DOCTORS in the world.

Crowler originally doesn't want to test Judai because the school's only for the dueling elite, not some low ranked slackers and wonders why Samejima's defending him. In the dub, he explains that there's enough talentless students at the academy already.

Also, Bastion's voiced by Eric Stuart in the dub. It's not in his Brock or Kaiba voice, though. Maybe his James voice when he's speaking somberly.

Shou asks how he's so confident since he only ranked nine levels higher than him in the written exam. In the dub, Syrus just comments on how confident Jaden is and wonders if he's really that good. Basically the same, but they're still omitting the ranks.

Name Change: Shou Marufuji is changed to Syrus Truesdale.

Mmm...Let's call this a change. Crowler's original title was Chief General Director of Practical Application. In the dub he's Department Chair of Techniques.

Judai doesn't insult Crowler by saying he thought he was the Academy mascot like a majorette or a cheerleader (and nice way to insult your exam proctor. Sure that's great for your end grade.) He just says that due to Crowler's great title he must be expecting a lot from him.

Jun's friends initially speak about how surprised they are that Crowler himself is doing the exam, which makes what I now completely believe to be a Draco Malfoy clone, Jun, very angry. In the dub, Chazz's friends say that Jaden's got quite the attitude, which makes Draco mad for some reason. What, is he super defensive when Crowler's involved?

Nitpick, but the Duel Vest is originally called a Duel Coat....And that thing looks ridiculous and seems really impractical to wear.

Visuals:

The Attack and Defense indicator is also changed for the new series. There's less decoration in the dub, but still.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Not even going to bother talking about the catchphrase for this series, Get Your Game On. I find it insanely annoying, yet less so than Believe it! But moreso than It's Time to Duel! And I find it just dates this show badly like other slang 4Kids has put in here like “tight”.

Crowler's originally inner monologue was analyzing Judai's first turn. Taking from the fact that he used an Elemental Hero on his first turn, Crowler believes Judai must be some sort of small town hero. In the dub, he just thinks about how he's going to fail Jaden. While both versions want him to fail, the dub makes it seem like Crowler has some sort of personal vendetta against Jaden.

This show also doesn't seem to follow the actual dueling rules of real life. They still only use 4000 life points instead of 8000.

Crowler calls Judai's deck a dropout deck (I guess dropout is a common sleight to Judai in the original) In the dub, Crowler says he remembers uses cards like those when he was a naïve rookie.

Judai then thinks to himself that Crowler's insulting the deck he put his life into, In the dub, Jaden doesn't have any inner monologue, Crowler's still speaking.

Crowler originally says “That's what they call being a frog in a well. Ribbit ribbit.” In the dub, he tells Jaden he shouldn't speak out of turn. His original dialogue points to an old Chinese fable about a frog in a well who would brag about how great his life was. However, his viewpoint was narrow because he only knew of life in the well. One of the animals that he bragged to decided to take him out of the well and show him the world above, which made him change his viewpoint and realize there's a much bigger world beyond the well. This is basically Crowler saying Judai's naïve since he's only seeing what's in front of him and not beyond....However, him going 'ribbit ribbit' makes it seem like he's calling himself the frog so something might've gone wrong here.

They don't refer to Crowler's deck by name in the dub. It's his Dark Ages deck.

Jun originally says he thought Crowler was going up against Judai himself because there was something special about him, but now he realizes that it's just because he wanted to give a new entrant a thorough stomping. In the dub, Chazz just says he's going to enjoy watching Jaden get destroyed and wishes Crowler treated all new applicants like this...I really have to ask why Jun/Chazz is even there if he thinks it's so boring? Is it mandatory for existing students to be there on exam day or does he just like to mock applicants?

As expected, the commercial break eyecatches are edited out....Wait, I'm only at the first commercial? Oy. If these change in the future, I'll update them.

Visuals:

Shou marvels at how Crowler summoned an eight star monster suddenly on his first turn. In the dub, Syrus says Jaden's nuts for taking on that legendary monster. Gotta say, for legendary, that thing looks like ass. That thing could easily be a three-star monster and I'd see no difference.

Name Change:
Ryo Marufuji is changed to Zane Truesdale. And oh wonderful, he's voiced by the same guy who voices Mark in Mew Mew Power. What a treat....At least it fits Zane more than Mark seeing as how Zane's much older than Mark....

Name Change: Asuka Tanjouin is changed to Alexis Rhodes.

Ryo initially tells us that Crowler has yet to lose after summoning that monster and that he must be taking this duel very seriously to bring it out. In the dub, Zane comments on how gutsy Jaden is for not even flinching at such a monster.

The Golem's Ultimate Pound attack is changed to Mechanized Melee.

Shou says that the Golem's ability, to reduce the opponents life points by the difference between its attack and his monster's defense points, defies the rules...No it doesn't. While I do like to take any opportunity to call out cheating in these shows, that effect is perfectly legal and other monsters and cards have similar abilities. If it was against the rules, it wouldn't be written on the card.

Judai says he's honored to have such a prestigious professor at the academy dueling at his peak against him. In the dub, Jaden just says he wants to go to the school even more now because he's enjoying the duel so much.

Judai doesn't gloat in his head in the original.

Judai/Jaden isn't in the least bit freaked out that his card just winked at him?

Also, whatcha readin' there, Jaden? You can't read a blank card.

They changed the transition to the flashback with Yugi. Instead of a slightly wavy fade in and out, 4Kids uses this jarring bubble/fish eye lens transition.

Not sure why Crowler isn't taking Winged Kuriboh more seriously. Granted, it is Kuriboh, but is he forgetting that the Kuriboh collection was one of Yugi's, the King of Games, signature creatures? That doesn't mean Judai knows how to play him well, but he should know better than to discredit it like that.

Wh...what? Asuka and Ryo talk about how it's weird, yet also fascinating, that Crowler didn't know of Winged Kuriboh's effects and Ryo says the dueling world is boundless and even the best don't know everything. This is kept the same in both versions but........Well, okay...but he has a PhD....in DUELING PBBBBTTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH--...Oh sorry. Anyway, he's a duel doctor.....*sigh*....You'd think that'd mean he'd extensively know all of the cards of the King of Games, anyway.

Even though this is Konami's doing and not 4Kids, Elemental Burstlady is changed to Elemental Hero Burstinatrix. Huh, way to make her name sound sexual.

Oh hey, let's simultaneously sex her up and de-sex her by censoring her outfit.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Quiz time! What happens when you fuse a female monster with a male monster? You somehow get a super-manly monster....is there something Burstinatrix would like to share?

We don't see or hear Crowler talking before we see the splitscreen of Ryo, Asuka and Jun on screen. I guess 4Kids really didn't think kids had the memory span or math skills to know that Elemental Hero Flame Wingman had less attack points than the Golem so they added the scene to shove it down their throats.

Misawa also says that EHFW is only summonable through fusion instead of repeating and explaining again than it has less attack points than the Golem.

The dub seems to have a fetish for what I call 'frame-switching' transitions. Basically where one scene 'shoves' another out of the way. I have no idea why, but for some reason it makes the show completely RADICAL and TIGHT!

Wow....Skyscraper's such an OP card. In the original, Judai explains that Skyscraper's ability is to increase an attacking Hero card's attack by 1000 points if it's attacking a creature with higher attack points. In the dub, it's just that Skyscraper by default raises the Hero's attack by 1000 points. Either way, that's almost unfair it's so powerful. And it's not like there's any criteria for using it either, it's just a field magic card. Wow.

EMFW's Skyscraper Shot is changed to Skydive Scorcher. Which does sound better IMO.

Jaden: “And because of my Wingman's super power...” It's a special ability not a super power...

Also, how stupid. Judai/Jaden never would've won had Crowler not used a completely inefficient card near the start. 1100 LP for getting rid of one card from your opponent's hand. Feh. Even in a game where the life points are 8000, I would still be very wary of using that card let alone in a situation where it's honestly not needed; the first turn. Granted, Skyscraper's so OP it might not have mattered either way.

Judai's final catchphrase is changed. At the end of a duel, he says “Gotcha!” while sometimes adding “That was a fun duel!” In the dub, he says “That's game!” Judai also doesn't say “Throw down a face-down.”

Also not surprising, the dub completely omits the ending theme and the next episode previews. The ending song is okay, but the background animation sure is lazy as hell. It's just recycled moving still shots going over and over on a card background.

Next episode will have Judai dueling with Jun and the new students of Duel Academia get assigned to their dorms.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

While the new one for the original is pretty generic and similar to the previous series in the original, barring it's color changing instead of blue, the new one of the dub is drastically changed. It's gold with several pointless decorations on it and in addition to a number life point counter there's also a life point gauge to the right. Guess 4Kids thought kids were so dumb they needed two visual indications of lowering life points instead of one.

I think that's a little nitpicky. I felt the 4kids version is more eyecatching and appealing.

Subbed:

Dubbed:

I took the liberty of sprucing it up a bit:

I'd totally get hired by 4Kids.

Name Change: Principal Samejima is changed to Chancellor Sheppard.

…....A....p....A PhD....in dueling....did you hear that guys?....A PhD....in dueling.....a dueling....doctor.....hahahahahahahahahahah....hahahahahahahahaha!!.....Oh, doctor, please tell me what trap card would be best in this situation! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! A PHD....IN DUELING!! PBBBBTTTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHHHHAHAHAHA AND THEY SAY ART SCHOOL'S A WASTE OF MONEY. THAT'S A NICE USE OF LIKE 200,000 DOLLARS! Ohhh....I'm gonna kill myself.

Oh god, I wanna sign up for one, lol.

Quiz time! What happens when you fuse a female monster with a male monster? You somehow get a super-manly monster....is there something Burstinatrix would like to share?

Uh... (http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131025160505/koihimemusou/images/d/da/Ch%C5%8Dsen_Full-body.png)

Anyway, great work! You do really detailed comparisons as always.
Report Spam   Logged

Crimson Curse
Mr. Curse
Resident

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:15:06 pm »

Commander Shepard, there's a thresher maw fucking us up!
Report Spam   Logged

The one and the same, whom you might have known or seen from a time long gone.
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46:48 pm »

I think that's a little nitpicky. I felt the 4kids version is more eyecatching and appealing.

You'd probably be right there. I get lost in my nitpicky ways Tongue It is more eyecatching and there's nothing particularly 'wrong' with it, but I guess my gripe was the lack of purpose. Then again, if clothes in anime and RPGs have taught me anything, even pointless and downright inefficient add-ons can make things look a lot cooler.

Subbed:

Dubbed:

I took the liberty of sprucing it up a bit:

I'd totally get hired by 4Kids.
That actually looks way cleaner and higher quality than a lot of their other paint edits lol.

Uh... (http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131025160505/koihimemusou/images/d/da/Ch%C5%8Dsen_Full-body.png)

Anyway, great work! You do really detailed comparisons as always.
I'm at a loss of words for that picture.........Cute bows. <3 And thanks! Cheesy I try to be as thorough as possible without being annoyingly nitpicky, especially in longer comparisons.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum