Aisenfield
April 19, 2024, 08:42:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tonight, we dine... in Hell!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pokemon EXTRAVAGNAZA! Mega Thread for Movies and Shorts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokemon EXTRAVAGNAZA! Mega Thread for Movies and Shorts  (Read 8402 times)
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2015, 09:20:07 pm »

Yeah, it's Nintendo's grand ol' formula for decades. Even back then, when Satoshi Tajiri was trying to push for Pokemon, it was a pretty tough mission without Shigeru Miyamoto's help.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 12:33:47 pm »

Pokemon Extravaganza, SHORTIES! Pikachu's Winter Vacation Trilogy Part 1 – Christmas Night

Plot: Pikachu, Togepi, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Vulpix are left in charge of protecting the cabin while Ash, Misty and Brock go off to get a Christmas cake. The Pokemon nearly destroy the cool Christmas decorations, but they band together to fix what they can before Ash and the others return.

==========================

Breakdown: It's Christmas in enter-month-I'm-uploading-this-review-because-my-uploading-schedule-is-delayed-here!

We're now out of official movie shorts to play with, so now we have to delve into the special shorts that pepper themselves throughout the regular series. I haven't seen any of these, and some of them are completely unavailable to me. But the ones I could track down look like fun, so let's start with something a bit more classic. Back to the age of good ol' Kanto. Christmas Night!......Oh my god, guys, it's not a pun. Quick, someone take a picture!

We start off with a pretty poorly animated title screen before getting a somewhat better animated but still very cheap and 'cut out-ish' opening credits sequence. The song is custom to the short and it's okay. Not really Christmas-y, more dance-y, but it's okay and a little catchy. It's so nice to see the old Kanto Pokemon again, and that shot of them all as snowmen is adorable.

Ash and the others, never showing their faces as per short 'rules', have rented a cabin for Christmas, because they have that kind of money somehow and God forbid they go home for Christmas. Misty and Brock berate Ash for neglecting to get a cake so they leave Pikachu in charge of the place while they all leave to go get a cake. I don't know why their Pokemon aren't going with them as they seem to take their Pokemon everywhere, nor do I know why all three of them are needed to go get a cake, but the shorts just seem to make the group into the parents from Rugrats in these shorts.

I will step back here a bit and say, while this is a very large and kinda nicely designed cabin, they add in little details like cracks and peeling paint to indicate that it's not the best quality cabin so we won't be flabbergasted at their sudden influx of money........at least until Pikachu and Pichu where they seem to get rich for a day with that really beautiful hotel room and party.

They leave and the smaller Pokemon wander the house and stumble upon the room that Ash and the others have decorated for Christmas. They're in awe of everything because they have never celebrated Christmas before, and they mess around with some stuff.

Vulpix in a party hat; best short ever.

Eventually, the Poke-group starts causing a ruckus. Squirtle accidentally eats Bulbasaur's Pokemon-themed cookie, and in spite of having a full plate of them in front of him, he still chases Squirtle all over the house. Vulpix gets stuck in a stocking. Yes, you may have gifs.

And Psyduck shakes up a bottle of what I think is meant to be champagne, but considering their age I'll just assume it's sparkling cider.

All of the Pokemon nearly knock over the tree with Pikachu saving it in the nick of time. Here's Vulpix wearing a party hat while in a Christmas tree.

He's so cute! ♥♥♥♥♥

Okay, I'll try to stop, I promise.

Sadly, thanks to Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Psyduck and not Vulpix because Vulpix is awesome, the tree has its lights ripped off and topples over on Pikachu.

Squirtle and Bulbasaur laugh at him because they're jerks, Vulpix doesn't because he's awesome, and Pikachu gets so pissed that he unleashes his electricity throughout the room. However, he does not hit Squirtle and Bulbasaur and instead knocks the power out. Good job.

In the darkness, Pikachu stumbles upon a Christmas music box, and the group stares in awe at the pretty little light up tree and the cute song that it plays as the sun sets. The song ends, the lights go out, and Pikachu and the others decide to band together to fix what they have messed up.

Later, Ash and the others return to the dark cabin and enter the room with all the Christmas stuff in it to find the tree looking great and even lit up by the power of Pikachu's cheeks. The group starts the party and we zoom out on the cabin to look up into the sky at the giant moon and see, of course, Santa with a Rapidash or Ponyta pulling the sleigh. Because Stantler haven't been introduced yet.

We end with an okay song to play us out as we watch it snow outside of a house. I don't really think it's the same cabin they were in....oh and also the snow is a bunch of tiny Jigglypuff. Yeah.

This short is particularly 'short' because it only takes up the first half a legitimate episode. It was partnered with another Winter Vacation short, the second episode called 'Kanga Games'.

Art: The art and animation seems a tiny bit better than it normally is early in Kanto, but it's not that noticeable. It's definitely not movie quality, which I didn't expect anyway. I actually like some of the finer details like the cookies and the decorations. The animation for the title is just awful though.

Music: Just okay. It's biggest issue for me is that none of the songs are really that Christmas-y except the music box song, and that was over very quickly.

Bottomline: It's a nice little Christmas short that really goes to show that it's a bad idea to leave animals with elemental powers alone in a rented cabin with no supervision. I guess I can just be thankful Ash wasn't stupid enough to let Charizard out for this. Sadly, many of the Pokemon are missing, which kinda makes it a tiny bit sad as a Christmas special. Christmas is about being with those that you care about yet only Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Togepi, Vulpix and of course Pikachu get let out here. They could at least show the other Pokemon outside or something, but I guess they're confined to their Pokeballs for Christmas.

I still would like a Christmas special that isn't based fully on the Pokemon and actually has the kids going back to their families for the holidays. I think they could make it be really sweet.

As it stands, though, it's not a terribly memorable or creative short, but it's nice and a sweet little watch for a Pokemon fan on Christmas time.

Merry Christmas everyone! If it's Christmas.....if it's not then...pretend it's Christmas and humor me, because I'm not taking it back.

Recommended Audience: C for Christmas! And cookies! That's good enough for me.

Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:53 am »

Vulpix was one of my favs back in the R/B/Y days. It's adorable and fun to draw.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 12:29:38 am »

So I'm just now realizing I was a dumb dumb and forgot to post the sub review of movie 06 before moving onto the next shortie. Will do this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »

Pokemon EXTRAVAGANZA! Movie 06: Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation the Movie: The Wishing Star of Seven Nights: Jirachi Review

Rating: 8/10

Plot: A former member of Team Magma, Butler, wants to use the legendary Pokemon, Jirachi's power to absorb energy from the Millennium Comet in order to power a machine to revive a Groudon from a fossil. Jirachi selects young Masato as his partner to protect him in the seven days he has awake while the Millennium Comet is visible from earth, and it's up to Masato, Satoshi, Haruka and Takeshi to keep Jirachi away from Butler and return him back home.

=================================
Jeez, long-ass title there, Japan.

That is the best Japanese poster I have seen for the movies so far. It's reverting back to a bit cluttered, and Jirachi kinda looks pudgy for whatever reason, but everything else looks fantastic. I like the nice touch of having Jirachi's true eye start to open.

I'm pretty excited but a little worried for this review. Dogasu said the script suffered from quite a few changes, though the comparison is pretty short. I really liked the dubbed movie, but will the subbed version make me rethink my opinion?

Hmm.

15 Minute Mark

Sadly, I'm working from the English visual track (widescreen somehow, guess they must've re-released it) with the Japanese audio, so I can't compare the title screens.

Ah, I never noticed that the guy in the van at the end credits is part of the festival. He never has a big role in the movie outside of selling May/Haruka her wishing star but that's a little interesting.

I find it weird that Kirlia got a voice change despite keeping the same name between versions and them  both saying that same name.

Speaking of voice changes, Butler's original voice is so much better. Suave and deep

Butler commands Dusclops/Samayouru to do Will o' The Wisp. In the dub, he says 'Kappitata' or something like that. It's weird because this attack is the same thing in the English version. Maybe they wanted it to be triggered by a 'magic word' for whatever reason.

Other than that, though, really nothing of note besides the average 4Kids'y changes in terms of the dialogue and even that's really minor. All of Team Rocket's dialogue is changed of course. No changes to the story thusfar, though.

Half-Hour Mark

The whole thing about Jirachi needing a friend to emerge isn't quite right. When he is about to emerge, he chooses a kind-hearted young boy as his partner to help protect him over the time that Jirachi is active. In a way, it's a chosen duty or honor for this boy (no idea why it specifically has to be a boy...) not that simply Jirachi wants or needs a buddy or is designated as a 'wishmaker'. The way it's worded in the original also adds more weight because being Jirachi's partner technically means that he's Masato's Pokemon, like how Satoshi considers Pikachu his partner, making Masato extra happy because that means he has a Pokemon of his own now. In the dub, their being labeled as friends changes the dynamic just enough to not hold as much weight.

Haruka says she's not quite sure about the 'kind-hearted' part and Masato gets defensive and says Jirachi just understands him better. May feels like Max is going crazy for hearing voices and talking to a rock. Max gets defensive and says May's just jealous because Jirachi wants to be friends with him and not her.

This changes the later scene when May tries to touch the rock from Max teasing her about wanting to touch the rock when she said it was crazy to be friends with a rock to Masato teasing that he supposedly was too un-kind to let her touch it.

The wishing star that May bought was originally the 'wish-maker'. I wouldn't have brought up, really, but the fact that the title of the dub movie is 'wish-maker' and this is the first I've heard of that phrase in the original (Jirachi didn't say it to Masato when he was talking to him earlier) makes me wonder.

I refrained from mentioning this in the other review, but the guy with the van I mentioned, the one scene in which he has a speaking role is here (where he sells Haruka the wish maker) and he sounds normal in the original but very 'bad guy'-ish in the dub.

Masato isn't being quite as creepy as Max was with the rock. He asks to hear Jirachi's voice again and that's why he 'snuggles' the rock. Max says they'll be best friends and then hugs the rock.

The thing about transporting Haruka makes more sense in the original. She merely says to return everything to where it came from, which Jirachi takes as meaning he should put Haruka back in the pile of candy from which she emerged. I don't know why 4Kids changed this bit to something that made no sense—Oh wait, 4Kids. Default setting – Make no sense.

Oddly enough, there's actually a reference to the movie's short in the movie. Nyasu's original dialogue says that they get use Jirachi to wish for a new base that won't be broken or danced on. This is in reference to the fact that Team Rocket's new base was destroyed due to the magic dance wand thing in Gotta Dance. This is the first time I believe the show/movie has ever mentioned anything from the shorts. Kinda neat, actually.

Takeshi says that if Jirachi and Absol are friends, then it makes sense to teleport Achamo/Torchic and Pikachu out to avoid the fighting. Brock says it's unlikely that the two know each other since Jirachi's been asleep for 1000 years.

45 Minute Mark

The land that Jirachi originates from is called Faunz not Forina.

Butler doesn't say that he's doing this for Diane, which of course we know he isn't anyway, he's doing it purely for revenge and his own pride. He just pleads with her to understand why he needs to do this.

Takeshi says Groudon's power is the ability to create land, not just that he has 'incredible power'.

Okay now we're at a point where the original makes no sense. Diane says that part of the necessary procedure for awakening Jirachi is to find the young boy that Jirachi wants to be his partner. Thus, Butler has been putting on a slue of magic shows in search of that boy. But surely Jirachi wouldn't contact his partner before the day of the comet's arrival? Unless he would and some boy would have to be friends with a rock for days, weeks, months, years, possibly decades just to get to the comet's arrival and that's if the kid is lucky enough to be born within a decent time frame of the comet's arrival. What would Butler have done if found the right kid like last year? Stalked or kidnapped the kid for a year until he can awaken Jirachi?

This conversation is omitted from the dub in lieu of more explanation of the comet's energy and Jirachi's ability to absorb it.

And now we're bridging a gap I had in the dub. I never understood why Butler, who seemed to have great aspirations of being a magician, became a scientist for Team Magma. In the original's flashback to Diane and Butler as kids, she says he loved inventing things that surprised people, which culminated in magic tricks when they were kids and his attempt at making a Groudon revival machine as an adult. I believe his desire to put on a show for people, impress them, resulted in a big ego for Butler, and his pride as a showman was greatly damaged when he was humiliated by Team Magma after his failure.

It's mostly implications and theorizing, but it's something to ponder.

Okay, I'm going to talk about Team Rocket because I just don't have much to discuss here. Team Rocket is after Jirachi too. They've been following the group this whole time supposedly waiting for the right time to snatch Jirachi, and while I'm glad they never try because, in all honestly, one Team Rocket snatch job is more than enough for most episodes and seriously isn't needed in the movies, the fact of the matter is.....just that; they never try.

The group is on this trip for four days and they are completely unguarded save for Satoshi and the gang. Butler snatched Jirachi right from Masato's arms OFFSCREEN even, while Takeshi, Satoshi and Pikachu were all asleep within two feet of each other. Why aren't they making any effort to take Jirachi? They have at least three opportunities to do that at night while everyone's sleeping and they just sit there doing nothing. They, both sub and dub, even say at a point that they have the perfect opportunity, yet still nothing. Their desire to catch Jirachi is only there to keep them on-screen because they're a crowd favorite in America and Japan.

Hour Mark

Got nothing particularly note-worthy here.

End Mark

Butler originally tells the boys that he's sorry for what he's done when he's being absorbed. In the dub, he said at least he'd get to be with Diane. I prefer the original's because I think we needed a moment where he actually said outright that he was sorry for what's done. Knowing that he loves Diane and wants to save her only goes so far, ya know?

Jirachi just says he loves Masato, he loves everyone and that they're all friends. The group assures this. In the dub, this was the stuff with Max being the one to grant Jirachi's wish of having a friend.

Oh God, Takeshi's Japanese VA is just as bored-sounding when he's singing this song!

Oh okay, so Diane and Butler actually had a reason for staying in Faunz beyond 'as long as we're together'. Butler and Diane want to help restore the land that was damaged from the clone Groudon's attacks. They also plan on studying the plant life.

The ending song is the same between versions except that it's, obviously, 100% Japanese instead of half Japanese half English. I like both versions equally.

==============================

Bottomline: Okay, so the script wasn't changed too much for the dub. I really stretched for some of my notes here, but yes the script for the original is better than the dub's. Some things that were nagging me were explained such as Masato's actual role here and why Butler and Diane were staying in Faunz. We still get no explanation as to why Groudon turned out that way, but I guess just chalk it up to an experiment gone wrong.

The dialogue's better and really shows how much wording can really help a script, the voices are better, and oh yeah there aren't any friggin' jarring edits. At least they didn't really change the story or lore, but the minor changes to the script can still have lasting impacts.

The only thing I would call major is the fact that the 'wish maker' thing doesn't exist. The only 'wish maker' in the original is Haruka's charm thing. The dub kinda leads you to believe that Max is chosen as a 'wish maker', kinda like Jirachi's a genie and Max is his master. It doesn't come up much, but it does pop up a few times and is the name of the movie.

The ending song, while still having a bored-sounding Takeshi, was also a bit less silly to listen to, making the ending more emotionally connecting.

4Kids missed the mark a bit here, but it is by far not their worst efforts. I still really wanna slap whoever thought it was okay to release the movie with incredibly obvious and annoying screen jumps.

Now for something I'm not looking forward to; a Pokemon movie about my least favorite legendary, Deoxys...

Recommended Audience: E for everyone!
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 09:51:31 am »

I wonder if you can wish for more wishes on Jirachi?
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »

I wonder if you can wish for more wishes on Jirachi?
Jirachi doesn't have a wish limit, but if you're lucky enough to find a genie and a Jirachi........no, because Jirachi doesn't actually grant wishes. He just steals crap from other places and teleports it to where he is. I guess if wishes were physical objects, Jirachi could steal more for you :x
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2016, 11:15:54 pm »

*wishes for loads of money*
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 12:33:43 am »

*wishes for loads of money*
Touch'e, my friend.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 12:21:51 am »

Pokemon EXTRAVAGANZA! Pokemon Movie 07: Destiny Deoxys

Rating: 3/10

Plot: A mysterious meteor lands on earth near the north pole containing the alien Pokemon Deoxys. It tries to take a strange stone from deep within the snow, but Rayquaza, angry at the intrusion on its territory, violently attacks Deoxys and ends up seemingly killing him before returning to the sky. Four years later, Deoxys regenerates its body and continues its search for the stone, and Rayquaza wants to take him down once more.

Meanwhile, Ash and the others meet a boy named Tory who suffers from a paralyzing fear of Pokemon after a traumatic experience with them as a small child. They try to help him get over this fear by getting him accustomed to Pokemon, but they find that helping Tory is a lot more difficult than they first thought.

==================================

Ladies and gentlemen, the last Pokemon movie I watched full out in the past before doing these reviews.

I caught Destiny Deoxys on Kids WB around the time of its release in the US and I remember being completely unimpressed by it. I don't like Deoxys at all. It has a weird design, especially in defense form, I don't care for its color scheme and I find its backstory to be rather silly, even if this is the first time in a long-ass time where we've revisited the concept of Pokemon aliens.

There is one aspect of this movie that I watched all the time and that was really for the song, which I'll address later.

Before I go onto the review, that movie poster has two different versions. The one you see above which is basically a mirror image of the Japanese poster barring the text, and I think that's the first time that's ever happened, and this version.

I honestly don't know why this was altered like this. It's still the same poster but the alternate forms have been removed, Rayquaza has been moved up, Max, May and Brock have all been removed, Plusle and Minun have been moved and Munchlax was added. I much prefer the original version, and I honestly don't understand the changes to the second.

I can, however, excuse it a bit because the speed form never appears in this movie; only the normal and defense forms do.

With that out of the way, let's start the show!

Be warned, this movie is quite a bit longer than the other Pokemon movies because it didn't need to take 20-30 minutes off to include the short, meaning the review will likely also be a little lengthier.

====================================

We start with not-the-World-of-Pokemon opener. This time, we're exploring the world of Pokeball. We as an audience even get sucked up into a Pokeball to finally see what it's truly like in there. Apparently it's a green world filled with green blocks of jello and hallucinations of various Pokemon. Hah, take that countless Pokemon message board posts!

Ah and we segue into the world of Pokemon as we cut to tons of Pokemon running across the screen. The last time I saw so many Pokemon running in one direction, the world was ending, so uh you're making me kinda nervous already, movie.

Oh god, what's up with the weird CGI Rhyhorn during this sequence? So awkward.

After that we keep going back and forth between CGI and traditionally animated Pokemon. At least most of the CGI ones go by so quickly that I can't tell how bad they likely are, but the Arbok at the end that they focus on is a little off-putting.

As the opener continues with explaining the dynamic between humans and Pokemon, we cut to Ash and the others and they straight up steal the shot of the equally icky CGI Suicune from movie 04. Nothing like lazy shortcuts, huh animators?

But they “justify” it by having a full on clipshow of the past three movies with just one clip from each movie, Celebi flying around from movie 04, Ash and Misty in their race from movie 05 and Ash flying on Flygon from movie 06.

Ya know, I praised the last movie and even the last short with their homages to the previous movies. Showing the legendaries from all of the movies in fantastic and NEW shots was just great. Even seeing short shots of the locations from the previous shorts was a nice addition to the final legit short. This is just laziness. They didn't even pick particularly good scenes from those movies, nor did most of these clips show the legendaries of the movies.

Continuing on with the opening, yadda yadda, there are a lot of Pokemon on our world but there might be more on other worlds and cut to a weird meteor in space.

We get our title sequence and despite it being really nicely done in regards to color choice and animation, the actual graphics look flat and uninspired. The final shot itself is just a silhouette of Deoxys. I don't know why the gong sounds from my grandma's doorbell are playing at the end while lights flash in sync to it, though.

Onto our credits sequence which sadly still has no Pokemon opening song, where we cut to the north pole. A bunch of researchers are there doing researchy things when the father of our movie main character, Tory, and his assistant, Yuko spot him with binoculars as he plays in the snow and befriends a Spheal.

The same meteor starts heading for earth, right where these researchers and Tory are to be precise. A Rayquaza is watching the meteor fall from high up in the sky. I always loved Rayquaza but apparently I'm a rarity? I've been in at least two forum threads asking for favorite Dragon Pokemon and Rayquaza was treated like a leper in both threads for no given reason.

The meteor lands closeby, causing Tory to fall and the nearby Walrein to stampede around him. He's so frightened that he ends up passing out. Tory's father saves him and out from the meteor emerges Deoxys. It uncovers a big colorful rock in the snow, infuses it with power and causes a light to shoot up into the sky.

Rayquaza arrives and starts attacking Deoxys for some reason. The battle rages on and Rayquaza actually manages to blow Deoxys' arm clean off. Uhh....by the way, parents, Pokemon the First Movie: We're Totally Against Violence We Promise, is on sale for everyone who skips this shot. Hehe...he....Broooother, my broooooother!

But don't worry, Deoxys is obviously from Namek and can regenerate his arm just fine. Deoxys starts fighting back, and Tory's father and Yuko take Tory and run off.

After getting a really good throat strike on Rayquaza, Rayquaza and Deoxys start to destroy the researchers' equipment while trying to attack each other. Deoxys manages to get the upperhand, and just as its about to finish Rayquaza off, we get a shot of Rayquaza through Deoxys' eyes which seem to constantly have a ripple Photoshop effect on them. Deoxys stops his attack, giving Rayquaza the opportunity to strike back again, but Deoxys defends itself with its defense form.

The battle rages on....and on....and on....Ya know, I don't much mind long battle sequences, hell I can sit through any arc of DBZ just fine, but this battle is going on for a bit too long with me not knowing what's going on nor who to side with or care about. Am I against Rayquaza for attacking a seemingly innocent Deoxys? Is it actually trying to protect something? It's obviously not protecting the researchers considering it's helping destroy the place. Does Deoxys mean harm? What was the rock? What did it do when it glowed? Does Rayquaza want the rock? Just keep pummeling each other and explain later. I have time.

Long battle short, Deoxys earns a hearty Hyper Beam right to the face and ends up being disintegrated, leaving only an oval-shaped stone, much like the one Deoxys found at the start, behind, sinking into the depths of the ocean as Rayquaza returns to the ozone layer.

Oh wait, is it dead? Did Rayquaza just murder Deoxys? Geez, this movie is much shorter than I remember it.

Okay, I guess the movie's going on without Deoxys now. The researchers take their only non-destroyed mode of transportation, a helicopter, out of the site while carrying the rock that Deoxys picked up earlier. Tory's dad says that the reason Rayquaza was so mad was because Deoxys entered into his territory. Thanks, I could've used that information sometime at the start of the battle, but better late than never.

Cut to four years late – oh now you're not afraid to use time cards, huh, 4Kids? Couldn't use them in the movie about time travel, but you'll use them here? Anyway, the researchers are now experimenting on the rock. They zap it with a laser in hopes of regenerating what I suppose will be a different Deoxys, but they overload the system before the regeneration can be performed.

Older Tory talks to someone unseen on screen, and as the researchers leave for the day, Yuko sees the stone glowing. Meanwhile, back in the old research site location, the ice begins to crack and break apart as a water spout shoots into the sky to reveal a newly revived Deoxys who spouts a bunch of pink light from his chest. Deoxys, you fool! Don't you know that too much pink energy is dangerous!?

We cut to Ash, May, Max and Brock riding a magnet train and enjoying the sites of Larousse City, known for its high-tech gadgetry. However, Ash is more interested in its famous Battle Tower.

We see our first example of the super high-tech city when a nearby child and his Poochyena throw a bottle into a high-tech trash can where apparently it needs to scan the item and open its lid for you before you can throw the trash away.

Yes, let's promote recycling and cleaning up your garbage by overcomplicating a trash can and making a half-second task take five seconds. Now you'd think the scanner would at least make the process more efficient. It probably only allows certain types of items or scans them to understand where to send them in regards to recycling, and it probably keeps animals and stuff out of it. Nope, it's just there to detect when something, anything, is there to throw away.

This is shown when a nearby pair of Plusle and Minun decide to play with it and the instant it scans Minun it opens to let it in, which, when you think about it, is even worse than an animal getting into a regular garbage can. At least in that situation the animal has a good chance of getting out on its own. This trash can closes up tight once the item is inside, meaning the animal would probably die in there. Thanks, technology!

Plusle and Minun screw around with the garbage can some more by having Plusle activate the lid while Minun is on top, launching him up in the air. They knock it over, garbage goes everywhere, they laugh and walk away. Littering is not funny, you little delinquents!

A nearby Munchlax sees this and kindly puts the trash can back up. He tries to kick one of the bottles into the trash can in a pretty funny scene, but fails and sadly walks away. Aw, I wanted him to get it in.

Back with Ash and the others, we see another aspect of the movie that stood out to me and it's these weird floating block robots. Now, stopping myself for a minute, I like the idea of this city but it does weird me out that it's such a different environment for this show. Despite several shows of incredibly advanced technology, we've never really had them in such a high-tech environment before. Closest they get are the really big cities and even that's not terribly more high-tech than your average city in the real world.

Even having this take place in a city is a new thing for the movies since most of them have either taken place in a forest, a small town, or some desolate location.

I can't really bring myself to say it's all that great because, despite liking them in an environment that isn't a forest, forest, forest or, on the rare occasion, a forest, it doesn't really wow me at all. The only major note of this city, really, outside of the magnet train are these little colorful block robots that, for some reason, remind me of Cubix: Robots for Everyone and I didn't even watch that show.

But just because these robots are pretty unique in the show, that really doesn't mean they're terribly interesting or fun. In fact, they're downright annoying with their super-high-pitched voices.

Anyhoo, the group stumbles upon one of these robots and it suddenly takes everyone's individual pictures, strangely enough with a camera that looks like it was taken from the 1930's, and logs their origin data somehow. It spits out passports for everyone that are needed to give people access to pretty much everything in the city. So, yeah, not only does it randomly take your picture, but it transmits the picture back to some headquarters place, your personal data is somehow recorded by these people and they give you a passport which monitors where you go and what you do. Where's the fuhrer of this city?

Ash makes an idiot out of himself by accidentally getting on a moving sidewalk and trying to run against it. Some locals laugh at him for this, and one of them sends out his Blaziken to help Ash get on the proper sidewalk. He pisses Ash off by saying he was making a fool of himself and directs him to the battle tower.

Despite laughing at him and calling him a fool, Ash decides to be friendly to the guy, named Rafe, and asks to battle. He accepts and says he'll see him at the battle tower. With Rafe are his two little annoying twin sisters who basically do all the typical annoying twin things like speaking in unison, constantly agreeing with each other and repeating things others say, again, in unison. Doesn't help that their voices are terribly high-pitched that it hurts.

God, who does their voices anyway?.....Rebecca Honig? Hm, I don't recognize her other Pokemon roles. Let's see what else she's got....Cream the Rabbit from Sonic X?! I knew that level of annoyance was familiar. Careful, or you'll be battling Lisa Ortiz for top spot.

There's also some guy named Sid, another trainer on his way to the battle tower who quickly falls for May, and Rebecca, yet another battle tower trainer who uses her laptop all the time and also uses it to help in her battles.

They arrive at the battle tower and Ash goes off to register while May, Max and Brock go off to the stands to spectate. We get some more shots of all the gadgets around which again are not really that impressive. One of those cube robots makes a screen to create a map of the tower for guests while another doles out ice cream, which is apparently free just as long as you show your passport. Free healthcare AND free ice cream!? The Pokemon world is awesome.

Ash gets lost because that's what Ash does. Why didn't he follow Rafe, Sid and Rebecca? They were all going to the same place yet they seem to disappear when they get to the tower.

Ash sees that there's also a library at the battle tower for...some reason, and sees Tory walking out of it. He tries to stop Tory to ask for help, but Tory freaks out at the sight of Pikachu and runs away. Tory tries to escape in an elevator, but Ash manages to jump in just in time. He explains his situation to Tory and asks for help, but Tory is too scared to answer and runs off again when the elevator stops. The boys are both stopped by an employee at the tower who sends them on a conveyor belt track to their battle. A machine scans Ash and Tory and detects their passports, instantly registering them for the tower.

Rebecca tries to get in, but doesn't arrive on time. She was ahead of Ash and the others, and Ash was lost, how the hell was she late?....Wait, her voice sounded very familiar in that line....Lisa Ortiz? I was just kidding about competing with Rebecca Honig in annoying voices. Please don't try to defend your title here.

Also, this place is so high-tech that practically everything is a gadget yet it can't detect that Tory has no Pokemon of his own and thus wouldn't be able to battle? Hell, aren't Pokemon trainers registered in some mass system?

They arrive in the battle tower stadium to have a tag team battle, and Rebecca joins May, Max and Brock in the audience.

May: “I wonder how Ash got registered so quickly.”

Rebecca: “By cutting in front of me.”

How did Ash cut in line? There was no line. There is no registration line. You go down to the basement and some big guy throws you in there without even asking you any questions. The system automatically registers you once you're already heading to the stadium and your match is set up. You didn't get in because you arrived behind Ash and Tory for no given reason despite having a huge head start.

Ash and Tory's opponents come into the stadium and its, predictably enough, Rafe and Sid. The announcers gives the conditions of battle; a tag team match with only one Pokemon used per trainer, and Rafe and Sid release their Pokemon first. Rafe sends out his Blaziken while Sid sends out a Blastoise. Ash sends out Pikachu and asks what Pokemon Tory will use, but as we all have figured out two minutes ago, Tory has no Pokemon to battle with.

With no second Pokemon on their side, Ash and Tory are set to forfeit by default. Ash decides to lend one of his Pokemon to Tory to battle with. I don't understand why that wouldn't be against the rules but whatever. Tory figures he has no choice so he sends out Ash's Torkoal to battle.

The battle begins and Rafe starts by sending Blaziken out to hit Pikachu with a Blaze Kick. Pikachu jumps up to dodge, but Blastoise knocks it away with Hydro Pump. Sid commands Blastoise to use Bubble on Torkoal--....Dude, you have a Blastoise that still knows Bubble? I hate to sound like a Poke-snob, but that's kinda lame. The Bubble attack hits, and Ash tells Tory to give commands to Torkoal, but since he's not a trainer he doesn't know what to do.

Blastoise does a Rapid Spin into Torkoal, sending him flying and causing everything to slow down in Tory's perspective as Blastoise gets close to him while spinning. We flash back to Tory in the middle of the Walrein stampede, causing Tory to freeze up.

This solidifies his fear in Pokemon, allowing me to bring up a big problem with this whole scenario. Tory is scared to death of Pokemon to the point where even cute little Pikachu sends him running off like a horror movie target.....Okay...before I get to the big picture, why the hell was Tory in, of all things, the Battle Tower? That place is crawling with Pokemon and the tower itself is meant to be a place where trainers can come together to battle each other. Why would he go there?

Yes, there's a library there and Tory, being a researcher's son, probably has a thirst for learning, but I assume with all the technology in this city and his dad having access to untold amounts of information surely there's really no reason for him to brave a Pokemon-ridden tower to read some books. Use a Kindle....use the Internet, have books delivered to your house; you have lots of options kid.

Next, how the hell does he get through life like this? He lives in the Pokemon world where practically everything is dedicated to Pokemon in some way. Where, if you are somehow a rarity who dislikes Pokemon, you'll be treated like a leper and eventually have to conform and like Pokemon after being ceaselessly prodded by others. Pokemon are everywhere in this series. Friggin' everywhere. How does he stay sane even merely leaving his house when the average person probably sees or interacts with at least one to five Pokemon per day?

Finally, really? The reason he fears Pokemon this much is because of the Walrein stampede? Granted, yes, this would probably be scary for young Tory, but he didn't get hurt in that stampede....at all. They ran around him. Would that slightly frightening experience be so bad that he would end up being this emotionally scarred for so long? And why does it encompass all Pokemon, even small cutesy ones? Shouldn't he really just be afraid of Walrein? That's like developing a fear of bears after having one run past you and then being afraid of bunnies as a consequence.

Back to the action, Pikachu tries to defend Torkoal with a Thunderbolt to Blastoise, but Blaziken defends him with a Flamethrower. Blastoise regains his composure and Skull Bashes Pikachu, knocking him into Torkoal and pinning himself under his shell.

Ash decides to take the reigns for Torkoal too—Okay now he's controlling his 'partner's' Pokemon. Surely that is against the rules!

Apparently it isn't, and Ash commands Torkoal to use Flamethrower. It does, but accidentally burns Pikachu's tail in the process. Torkoal, upset at accidentally hurting Pikachu, starts crying and sending smoke everywhere. Geez, I'm embarrassed for them. Rafe finishes off Pikachu and Torkoal with Overheat and Ash and Tory are defeated.

Tory's dad and Yuko show up to the battle tower. They had watched his battle on television and went to the tower to tell him how proud they were. Tory tells them not to be proud because the whole thing was an accident and runs off.

Brock gushes over Yuko and – Since when does Brock discuss Professor Ivy without becoming a depressed lump in the corner? Anyway, Yuko explains Tory's situation with his childhood trauma and being afraid of all Pokemon because of it. Yuko believes he really loves Pokemon deep down, like he used to as a small child, but he needs to get to know them again to get over his fear. Ash, feeling guilty over pushing Tory so hard in the battle tower when he has a fear of Pokemon, decides to take it upon himself to show Tory how great Pokemon really are. See? I told you. You must all like Pokemon!

Back with Tory, the Plusle from earlier tries to get Tory's attention, but he shoos him away. Plusle runs to a knocked over trash can where his brother is trapped and begs Tory to help. Again, told ya so. Despite his fears, he decides to help them out and just as Ash comes out to meet him, Tory frees Minun from the garbage can. Plusle and Minun happily reunite and try to thank Tory by giving him a hug, but he backs away before they can touch him and runs off.

Munchlax shows up again to pick up the trash can and tries again to kick a bottle into the can. This time he succeeds. Yay! I love that little guy.

Ash follows Tory to some garden place where he speaks with the unseen being from earlier, only this time we get to see what it is.

A big sparkly glowy piece of intergalactic Flubber made of light....Yeah....yeah that pretty much sums it up.

He excitedly tells the Flubber thing about what happened with the Plusle and Minun when we cut to Deoxys. Oh right, the plot! I completely forgot about that part of the movie.....sad thing is, I'm not even really joking. We haven't so much as mused about Deoxys, legendary Pokemon or anything main plot related for over 15 minutes.

Deoxys lands in Larousse City and expels all his pink energy into the sky again, creating an aurora borealis effect. And....that's it for now. Hope you enjoyed it.

As Tory continues to talk with Flubber, Ash shows up and asks who he's speaking with. Flubber disappears in response and so does the pink light. Bye plot! He badgers Tory about who he was talking to and tries to talk with him, but Tory keeps telling him to go away. He accidentally spooks a flock of Wingull, which causes him to fall down in fright. Ash runs to his side to see if he's okay, but Tory knocks Ash down when he gets scared by Pikachu.

Angered, Ash grabs Tory by the shirt but May arrives to calm him down. Trying to give an opportunity to make everyone friends, Brock cooks up a fondue. Wasn't aware Brock was a housewife from the 1950's but okay.

Seeing the food, a bunch of other Pokemon arrive. Brock gives them some bowls of Pokemon food and May and Ash try to get Tory adapted to the Pokemon. Ash even offers to have Tory pet Pikachu. He starts to try, but ends up pulling his hand away in fear.

Tory thanks the group for trying to help him and runs off. Munchlax returns again to eat the group's lunch. Once he's done, he jumps up 300 feet in the air, lands quietly and walks off......What the hell was that even? Why is this Munchlax so adorably funny?

The Plusle and Minun from before arrive to have some food too and I'm just now realizing that these two are basically the Pichu Bros. They already look almost exactly like Pichu to begin with, they're brothers and they cause a bunch of trouble. Huh.

The plot returns again, and this time Deoxys is just destroying stuff in the city. He creates the pink light again and....we're back to Ash and the others again. Bye, again, plot!

They marvel at the lights and Rebecca explains that they shouldn't be able to see aurora lights since they're usually only viewable at the north and south poles. A bunch of awkward flirting goes on with Sid and May and Brock and Rebecca. Brock also gets really demanding with Rebecca for some reason, basically yelling at her to spend time with him.

Rafe arrives to give a few jabs to Ash for losing so badly earlier, and Ash asks for a rematch at the battle tower tomorrow. Rafe agrees and starts to leave. I guess he was only there to pick on Ash.

He stops when he sees Tory who came back to share a big basket of cookies with everyone. Oh did I say cookies? Let me clarify; they're Pokemon cookies because what else would they be?

Everyone lets out their Pokemon to have some cookies and enjoy the night, and this was the one part of this movie that I kept coming back to. This is really just a scene with the Pokemon having fun and playing while Tory gets slowly closer to them, but the real reason I liked the scene was because the song, while being kinda cheesy, was also really catchy. Yup, just a moderately decent and catchy song with nothing important happening on screen was the one reason I usually stayed to watch this movie.

Apparently Rafe's sisters also have Pokemon; a Surskit and a Masquerain. Not that it ever matters at all but there ya go. In addition, I guess the only Pokemon that Rafe and Sid have are Blaziken and Blastoise respectively.

And ya know what?....This scene is cheesier than I remember. The song's lyrics are cheesier than I remember, the scenes themselves get downright dorky sometimes like the sudden quick cuts of all the Pokemon playing in the pipes and its just so saturated with sugar.

Team Rocket arrives to take the food from their picnic. Oh yeah, they've been here the whole movie again, I just didn't mention it because, like always, they don't do anything but complain about food and get hurt. Only reason I'm mentioning them here is because Munchlax ruins their thieving plans by bogarting the food himself and running off, making Team Rocket give chase.

The light disappears and Deoxys knocks some more stuff and Pokemon over. And then he......Oh okay, back with Ash and Tory again. Don't worry, it's not like the movie is about Deoxys or anything.

Tory tells Ash that he's never really had fun with a bunch of friends before and believes it to be because of his fear of Pokemon. See?! Your life is ruined if you don't like Pokemon! I am on a roll.

Pikachu offers to have Tory pet him again to prove that he's finally getting over his fear of Pokemon. He tries again yet Corphish butts in and freaks him out, making him run off. Way to go, Corphish. Ash calms him, but the attempt to get closer to Pokemon is again ruined.

The next day, Tory brings the whole group to his father's lab where Tory introduces everyone to Flubber out in the garden.

The Pokemon B-Squad let out their Pokemon to meet Flubber while Rebecca tries to analyze it with her computer.

Back with the “main plot” Rayquaza is making its way to the city to confront Deoxys. Oh and apparently Officer Jenny is the leader of the security guys for this city. You're all screwed.

Professor Lund (Tory's Dad) tells Officer Jenny that if Rayquaza and Deoxys meet and battle there, the city will mostly likely be destroyed. He calls for an evacuation, and Jenny agrees with his request.

This is really random and minor, but when the people start evacuating a guy gets on a train wearing a dress, sways back and forth and says 'it's party time!' He's never seen or brought up again.

Ash and the others are trapped in the garden since Deoxys has been messing with all of the electrical devices in town, making the passport system not work. Professor Lund tries to get to Tory but ends up getting caught on the moving sidewalk when it reboots.

Millions of cube robots then come together to make a bridge away from the city and into a different one, which uh yeah, screw that. Everything is being disabled by Deoxys, meaning that once these robots get hit everyone on the bridge will be right in the water. Not to mention this bridge doesn't have side rails which Professor Lund could've really used to keep him from falling in the water like he does.

Officer Jenny drives by in a boat the instant he falls into the water and saves him. Really convenient considering she didn't know where he was or what he was doing.

Deoxys makes a bunch of clones of itself and starts kidnapping people. Rayquaza shows up and starts attacking Deoxys. It puts up a force field around most the city, somehow draining power from everything, which results in the cube bridge breaking apart and falling into the water. How many times am I going to say 'I told you so' in this movie? Luckily no one was on it because apparently a whole-city evacuation can occur in a minute and a half.

Rayquaza is trapped behind the force field, and we return to the group where Sid and Blastoise are trying to pull open the doors to the garden. Hey guys, you could probably save yourself a lot of trouble if you just broke the GLASS doors. Hell, Rebecca's Metagross simply walking into them would probably break them.

Deoxys arrives at the garden and makes more clones which kidnap Sid and Blastoise as they try to protect May. Tory leads everyone to the exit while Rafe and Ash try to buy some time by defeating the clone Deoxyses....Deoxyi....clones with Pikachu and Blaziken.

Ash: “Way to go, Rafe!”

Rafe: “All in a day's work!” Yeah, way to go, Rafe. You stood there and watched as your Pokemon did all the work after you merely gave it one command to do one attack. The skillz to pay the billz.

After they manage to unlock the passage for the underground exit, which is weird considering I thought most of the power to the city was drained, including the power in the garden which is why they couldn't get out the front door to begin with, the group calls Ash and Rafe to follow them.

Even the Pokemon are getting taken away by the clones, but Plusle and Minun as well as Munchlax manage to hide in a pipe.

Yuko explains the full situation to the group and its revealed that malfunctions of electronic equipment are so widespread that even the Pokeball management system is down, making it impossible to expand, contract or open Pokeballs. Wait that means that the main group can't use any of their Pokemon and they're reliant on Metagross, Blaziken, Pikachu, Surskit and Masquerain now? Do these movies do everything in their power to keep the other Pokemon out of the fun?

Also, how does Rebecca's laptop work if everything's so screwed that even the Pokeballs, which always seem to work no matter what, are broken because of these electrical disturbances?

After an unnecessary retelling of the story with Deoxys and Rayquaza, complete with flashback clip show of everything that happened, the group hears a strange noise in their hideout and Ash and Rafe go to investigate.

They discover that it's merely Plusle and Minun as well as Munchlax. Plusle and Minun run to greet Tory, but he runs away from them again. Ash, Brock, Rafe, Rebecca and Tory decide to leave and split up. Rafe and Rebecca go off to see where the Deoxys are holding everyone who was kidnapped while Ash, Tory and Brock go to find food. However, the food machines won't activate in response to the passports. Pikachu decides to shock the machine to power it up, and it starts shooting hot dogs everywhere.

As they try to catch the hot dogs:

Brock: “Gotta catch 'em all!”

Gotta vomit in this bucket for that terribly forced catchphrase!

There's a gay joke in this screencap somewhere, but I'm going to be classy and not even try.

Deoxys clones come to kidnap them, but Plusle and Minun arrive to fight them off. Sadly, Minun gets captured while trying to save Tory.

They run off and a Deoxys clone kidnaps the hot d—Noooooooooooo!! Not the hot dog cart! Do you have no mercy Deoxys?! You monster!

Ash and the others hide from the Deoxys clones in some warehouse, and Tory tries to pet Plusle to apologize for what happened to Minun, but still can't manage to touch it.

Back with Rebecca and Rafe, they see that the clones are putting all of the kidnapped people, Pokemon and machines into some domed building. The hot dog cart actually begs to be released and when it runs out of power, the clone drops it into the river! D:

The next morning, the clones find the group and start breaking into their hideout so they decide to head to an underground laboratory to hide yet again. Yuko shows the group the stone that they were experimenting on and explains that it's a part of a different Deoxys just as the stone that fell from Deoxys' body four years ago when it was destroyed by Rayquaza. More specifically, though the movie doesn't mention it, it's supposedly Deoxys' brain.

Flubber emerges from the stone, revealing that Flubber is actually another Deoxys just in an incomplete form. Rebecca analyzes the light and compares the wavelengths to those of the lights in the sky that Deoxys produced. She concludes that the lights are actually communication signals and that the green light means 'friend' and the pink light means 'where are you?'

….Okay, I can swallow that she deduced that the lights were communicative signals sent between the two Deoxys, but how the hell is she translating Pokemon speak? Alien Pokemon speak! Alien Pokemon speak that is performed through lights! Just with her laptop?! They've been researching that stone for four years and haven't been able to do much with it, but Rebecca and her laptop have the whole situation figured out in two minutes.

Ash and the others conclude that Deoxys does not really mean harm, its just trying to find its friend. Yuko further explains that Deoxys sees through electromagnetic signals, and all of the people, Pokemon and machines, all beings that give off electromagnetic signals, were clouding its vision as it searched for its friend so it was breaking electrical items and kidnapping everyone to clear up its sight.

The group decides to regenerate the other Deoxys so he can reunite with his friend and they can leave the planet, hopefully sparing them from a city-destroying battle between Rayquaza and Deoxys. They don't have enough emergency backup power, which also shouldn't be working, so they team up to generate some power. They also formulate a plan to free all of the kidnapped people and Pokemon.

As they head to the building where the kidnap victims are being kept, Deoxys cuts them off. Ash tries but fails to reason with it before it clones itself some more and attacks them. They fend of the clones and start to find another way around, but Rafe decides to stay behind with Blaziken to buy them some time.

Rafe: “Just make sure nothing happens to my sisters, Ash.”

Oh yeah, those sisters who have contributed so much to the movie like.........Not getting names so far and being annoying.

Rayquaza uses a Hyper Beam to break through the force field and get into the city. Wow, it just now realized to do that about 12 hours after the force field was put up. Super smart, Rayquaza.

The clones surround Blaziken and Rafe and they allow themselves to get kidnapped.

Meanwhile, Rayquaza starts destroying Deoxys clones while Ash and the others continue to run and execute their plan. Munchlax runs in the opposite direction, but Max has no time to get it back.

As Ash and the others meet back up with Rafe and Sid and start their plan, the clones disappear and the real Deoxys and Rayquaza meet in the flesh. Oooh, it's time for the main event! Ladiiiiiieeeessssss and gentlleeemeeeennnnnnnnnn!! Let's get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmbllllllllllllleeeeeeeee!! In this corner, weighing in at 454 pounds, the Sky High Pokemon; Raaaaaaaaaaayquazaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

In this corner, weighing in at 134 pounds, the DNA Pokemon, Deeeeeeeeeeeoxyyyyyyyyyysssssssss!!

The two stare off, ready to battle and! We cut back to Ash and the others. *cough*

Ash and Tory command Plusle and Pikachu to feed power into the building while Minun does the same on the other side of the door. With power restored, the entrance is opened and everyone is reunited, including Plusle and Minun.

Back to the action, *cough* Rayquaza is chasing after Deoxys, leaving a wake of destruction behind him. Deoxys fights back and gets a good shot off on Rayquaza, but he maintains his composure before hitting the ground. The chase and destruction continue, but who will come out the victor? Find out after a word from our sponsor.

Have you had problems with your electric company? Tired of not getting electricity by wind? Try Larousse brand windmills. No wind? No problem! They can be powered by tying a rope around the spool and pulling on it from down below! Watch these small children perform the task!

Amazing! Don't have small children? Child labor laws getting you down? Try using the force of a Water Pokemon's Water Gun and/or Hydro Pump! Having a strong Pokemon jump on the blades! You can even have a Psychic type move the blades with its mind! (Pokemon not included) Larousse brand windmills: Getting blown for over 60 years.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Tory and Ash go back to the lab to see how the regeneration is going as power is restored to the lab as well. Everything's set to start the process, and Ash gives Tory the honor of restoring his friend back to full form. He starts the laser, but they still need 20% more energy to get it to full power. Pikachu, Plusle and Minun get on the case and their power is enough to get the laser to finally work. The other Deoxys is restored to full form. As I guess a means of thanking them, Deoxys releases the Flubber light again and surrounds them in teal light.

Tory asks if it wants to go find the other Deoxys, and it lifts them up with psychic abilities and flies them along with it. It also destroys the roof of the place for no reason. Good job, Deoxys.

Meanwhile, Deoxys is getting its ass beat by Rayquaza again. After being slammed into the ground, the force field dissipates. *cough* Things are looking bad for Deoxys, and Rayquaza is all ready to celebrate its victory. The referee is about to call the match but what's this? Deoxys is getting back up and it doesn't look happy! Rayquaza shoots off another Hyper Beam, but Deoxys defends itself with a shield of rocks. And out from the smoke comes Deoxys who body slams Rayquaza into a nearby bridge. I hope they had insurance, most preferably from our sponsor, Shay Dee Insurance company. For when legendary Dragon Pokemon and aliens smash into your stuff; don't trust anyone but our Shay Dee Insurance salesmen!

Rayquaza doles out another Hyper Beam yet again, but misses, and Deoxys counters by smacking Rayquaza right in the face. Rayquaza is down! And Deoxys looks ready to finish the match with one of its Psychic Boosts! A direct hit and Rayquaza is not looking good. Will Rayquaza throw in the towel? Ooh, Deoxys is showing no mercy even while Rayquaza is down as it Night Shades him further into submission. Deoxys is set to throw another Psychic Boost, and I think this is the last shot for Rayquaza!

An upset! The other Deoxys has shown up in defense form to protect Rayquaza from the attack! Simply amazing! I haven't seen a move like that since the last time I saw a move like that!

*cough cough* Anyway, the two Deoxys meet and the one with the green stone sets off its green lights while Deoxys lets out its pink light. I don't know what they're saying, but if anyone does please enlighten me.

Everyone marvels at the pretty lights which combine as the two Deoxys get closer and start to dance around each other but--

*cough cough*

Rayquaza shoots out of the rubble looking for trouble and shoots off a Hyper Beam towards the two Deoxys! The lights are gone, and we now have a sudden tag team match, ladies and gentlemen!

Rayquaza is shooting off Hyper Beams like they're going out of style, but the two Deoxys double Night Shade Rayquaza into a nearby building. Two small boys and an overpowered rodent nearly get hit by Rayquaza's body, but the two Deoxys save them in the nick of time. Rayquaza's down, but he's not out as he gets back up and continues his assault, even knocking over an—Nooooooo!! Not a different hot dog cart! This movie is turning into a hot dog cart massacre!

The city is being demolished at every turn, and the two Deoxys are doing everything in their power to restrain Rayquaza.

*ahem* The Pokemon crash into some building where I think is the main terminal for the cube robots over town. The Hyper Beam from Rayquaza causes a sudden surge of energy which somehow turns the newly restarted cube robots red, gives them an angry face and causes them to go out of control, creating a wave of blocks over the city.

Rayquaza gets taken down yet again and gets caught up in the wave of blocks. The two Deoxys get into defense form and protect Rayquaza while Plusle and Minun return to save Ash and Tory from the blocks. Tory's dad communicates to them through a screen behind them, though I don't know how he knew they were there, and tells the boys that they need to get to the chief block robot and present it with a passport. That should open a channel that will allow Professor Lund and the others back in the hub to disable it.

And let me just say, wow, there are way too many block robots in this city. There have to hundreds of millions of those things going crazy all over the city. The blocks are covering the battle tower and they soon smash into the screen that Professor Lund was talking to them through.

Tory, Ash, Pikachu, Plusle and Minun hitch a ride on a—the hot dog cart! Can't you leave that poor thing alone? As they try to grab onto some nearby towers, Munchlax emerges from the hot dog cart while eating some hot dogs and as it falls into the sea of blocks, it evolves into Snorlax. I guess in order to evolve Munchlax just needs a hot dog fix.

Ash uses Snorlax as a bridge to hop over to the towers and Snorlax sinks into the blocks. Ash and Pikachu climb the tower and hop on the floating blocks to the Chief robot and Ash tries to present his passport to it, but drops it.

Tory throws him his passport, but he misses the catch.

Pikachu jumps off, smacks the card with his tail so Ash can finally catch it, but he ends up getting carried away by the blocks.

Ash presents Tory's passport to the chief robot and it accepts the scan, allowing Officer Jenny to override the blocks and shut them down.

Everything's all fine and dandy, Tory, Plusle and Minun observe the stopped block robots, but the brothers fall off of the gigantic tower of blocks. Tory, in his big show of getting over his fear of Pokemon, jumps off and grabs them both. Tory dies from the fall, the end.

Ahh, of course not. Deoxys....Uh one of them I can't see which, emerges from the blocks and flies up to save Tory, Plusle and Minun.

Pikachu emerges from the blocks as well....on top of Rayquaza's head. But he's plucked off of his head psychically by the other Deoxys and picks up Ash as well.

The two Deoxys and....Ray...quaza.....fly around....happily together...wait, what? Did Rayquaza really get over his insane blood lust of Deoxys just because it shielded it from completely non-lethal plastic and metal blocks?

I guess so, and then Rayquaza just friggin' leaves.

*cough cough* And everyone becomes friends, and lives happily ever after. Yes, folks this is a pretty damn crappy ending to this fight that wasn't even that great to begin with, but I must remind you that we have a strict 'no refunds' policy. If you want to cry about it, use Tear Dri tissues. Tear Dri; for when movies are especially disappointing. Now in new lavender scent.

*ahem* As I was saying, everything's all fine and dandy now. Tory reunites with his dad, he shows him his new friends Plusle and Minun who cuddle the crap out of his face, the two Deoxys bid goodbye to everyone with their pretty lights, Team Rocket continues to power the windmills with their stationary bike in the bushes for some reason, there is untold amounts of property damage to the city, millions of block robots lay brick'd on the ground and in several buildings, millions of people were unable to return to their homes for months, and all of this really means that they ultimately failed in protecting the city.

The end.

In terms of credits, we just get a longer version of the insert song 'This Side of Paradise' with a shot of Rayquaza flying, a shot of a block robot flying around the city, Ash and the others leaving Larousse City and bidding farewell to Tory, Professor Lund and Yuko, Ash and the main group riding on the magnet train with the side characters, Rafe and his sisters getting off the train, Sid getting off the train and bidding goodbye to May, Rebecca getting off the train and waving goodbye to a forlorn Brock, and then the typical shots of the group camping and walking, though for some reason, during the walking shot, they add the faces of the group in squares in front of the shot. Also, thanks to the way the dubbed movie is cropped, Ash and May's faces are sliced in half during this.

Then Pikachu does some cheerleading in front of a five year old's birthday card design, and the shot of him doing that is repeated in numerous blocks.....Okay...Then all of the Pokemon in the movie do some cheerleading...I don't know what's going on anymore but Blastoise cheerleading is priceless. God this song gets really repetitive. Not as bad as Cele-B-R-A-T-E But still really repetitive.... END. Okay, yes, pretty lights. End!

Thank you.

=====================================

So.....I don't like this movie. I don't hate it. I just don't really enjoy it much at all. Dogasu was pretty lenient with this movie, but I feel like laying into it a bit.

Like I said at the start, this movie was the first Pokemon movie to not be accompanied by a short film, meaning an extra 20 or so minutes was added to the runtime than is usually allotted for Pokemon movies, and I really don't think they used this time well at all.

Let's address one of the biggest problems here. Deoxys is really a side character in his own movie. Notice how much of the movie is dedicated to two things; the battle tower and Tory's fear of Pokemon. The stuff with Deoxys and Rayquaza never seems like its the actual focus, and most of Deoxys' screentime is shared with Rayquaza who is only there because of a very petty reason.

At first it was reasonable for Rayquaza to be upset that Deoxys entered into its territory of the ozone layer. The first battle, in that regard, was understandable. The fact that it somehow sensed Deoxys' return four years later, hunted it down halfway across the globe to kill it when it did not repeat the same mistake of entering into its territory is stretching it rice-paper thin to me.

Throughout much of the movie you don't even understand which of them is the bad guy. Deoxys destroys stuff too for seemingly no reason much of the time.

Deoxys' story as a whole is also incomplete. He came to earth to find his friend. Okay, I get that. Why is his Deoxys friend on earth? Why is it 'dead'? Why couldn't it regenerate after spending so long dormant in its stone form if the other Deoxys fully regenerated in four years? Why was the Deoxys' in stone form? What 'killed' it? How long has it been here? Why did it take so long for Deoxys to arrive on earth to rejoin his friend? It was embedded in meteorite, meaning it must have been in there for hundreds, thousands or even millions of years. How did they get separated to begin with? Why was the green Deoxys able to turn into a light while dormant in its stone form and move about freely? Shouldn't the pink Deoxys have had that ability too?

The movie doesn't even touch upon Deoxys' origins, which, according to its Dex entry, is that it was formed by the DNA of a space virus after being hit with a laser. It's a pretty silly origin to me, even if it probably has more basis in science than most other legendaries, but they at least could've worked that in there considering it's one of Deoxys' only forms of lore. Speaking of which, if that origin is true, how is there more than one Deoxys?

Why did Rayquaza just up and forgive both Deoxys after holding such an intense grudge? This whole battle against Rayquaza just ultimately seems pointless and poorly executed. The battle itself wasn't even anything that epic. It's just a back and forth of Hyper Beams and Psychic Boost with Night Shade.

Touching upon the battle tower aspect before we get back to Tory's plot line, this part of the story takes up quite a bit of time and yet ultimately amounts to nothing. It does introduce Tory to Ash, but that could've been achieved without the lengthy battle sequence and it was already established before the battle that Tory was afraid of Pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, I find the battle tower segment to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the movie. Mostly because, outside of opening theme sequences, we just don't get to see many legit Pokemon battles in these movies, but not only was it long and had nothing really to do with anything, but the battle itself was just painful to watch and awkward. Not to mention we didn't get to see Rebecca battle at all outside of one attack near the end.

The battle tower did allow us to get some other trainer side characters in a movie for a change; ones that actually get names that are said on screen and actually do things that matter to the plot. What a novel concept, huh movie 01? However, the rivalry between Rafe and Ash is never resolved. They set it up several times throughout the movie, even seemingly interrupting things to butt it into the plot. They say they'll battle again in the battle tower in a legit match, but they never have one. That could've been at least included in the ending credits, but nope. It's like they forgot about it.

Rafe's little sisters, as I said, amounted to absolutely nothing. Rafe doesn't make a big show of protecting them, they barely even talk to him, really, Ash doesn't focus on protecting them for Rafe, they don't battle or contribute anything, they're just set dressing. Annoying....annoying set dressing. Luckily they didn't get many lines.

Sid was a little entertaining, and I'm glad that they had May be nice and respectful of him instead of being cliché and being repulsed by him merely because he's overweight and has a crush on her. He was nice and not really creepy with his attention to May.

Rebecca wasn't really necessary to me. Her role could've easily been taken by Yuko with really nothing changed. I didn't mind Rebecca at all and she did dole out some exposition a la laptop, but still.

Getting back to the main plot issue at hand; the actual main plot of the story being Tory's fear of Pokemon and him spending time with Ash and the others as he tries to get over this fear. I didn't clock it, but I'm almost certain that this part of the movie really does take up significantly more runtime than the Deoxys one. Here's the deal, this isn't the first time that something like this has happened. Similar setups have occurred in movies 04 and movie 06. You can have a plot line that takes focus away from the legendary plot line and have it work to the film's advantage. While movie 04 had problems with this, movie 06 ironed them out, and both movies did a pretty decent job with it.

This movie does not.

I really don't have any problems with a plot point involving someone getting over a fear of Pokemon, but here it feels like it's merely an extended plot point from any average episode of Pokemon. In fact, I'm almost certain a similar plot has appeared in the show. My problem is that I find the reason for his fear to be pretty silly. I know phobias are irrational fears, and even here the fear is somewhat founded because Pokemon can be very dangerous. I also know that even if a situation doesn't seem traumatic, it can be. But looking at it as a storyline and not a realistic depiction of PTSD, it's just silly.

Walrein stampede around him as a child, he doesn't get touched by them, kinda faints because of it and as a result of this he is scared to death of all Pokemon for years. Like I said, even putting realistic logic in there would mean Tory would just be afraid of Walrein or at most all Pokemon similar to Walrein like Dewgong, but no, it's every Pokemon in existence, no matter how cute, cuddly or harmless.

Not to mention that it really does get old to watch him try to even touch a Pokemon and then run off. Over and over and over.

And you're telling me Yuko and Professor Lund never once thought over the four years that he's been struggling with this fear to help him out with this? This fear has left him with no friends and no life, and yet, like always, a group of random children have to solve the problem for them because it seems like they either won't get off their asses and try or they're too stupid to know what to do to try.

Speaking of Yuko, why is she not Tory's mother? It's not like his mother is ever brought up or made into a minor plot point, and I thought she was his mother from the second I saw her on screen. She and Professor Lund are always together, she speaks like his mother, she acts like his mother, yet she's not. It's not a big detail, but it's still a bit odd.

Anyway, one of the bigger issues with this plot is that it has absolutely nothing to do with Deoxys. What do the more human plot threads of movie 04 and 06, and in a different light, movie 03 have in common?

While the plot itself may not be completely centered on the legendary Pokemon, they are big parts of it. Movie 03; the Unown make Molly's dream reality to help her escape into a world with her 'papa', an Entei, to protect her and stay with her since her real parents are gone.

Movie 04; Sam is 'stuck' in the future because of Celebi's time traveling abilities after protecting it from a poacher. Celebi is the only one who can bring him back home.

Movie 06; Jirachi needs Max to act like a partner and guardian to him as his lives out his one week of being awake before returning to stone form. Max befriends Jirachi and learns about letting go.

Movie 07; Tory is scared to death of Pokemon after nearly getting trampled by a bunch of Walrein. Ash and the others try to get him over this fear to help improve his quality of life.

Tory's story has nothing whatsoever to do with Deoxys. Okay, yes, Deoxys caused the disturbance which made the Walrein stampede, but I don't even think Tory really got a good look at Deoxys back then considering it was bathed in light during this point, and that's mostly unrelated.

Also, his friendship with green Deoxys doesn't change things much either. Nothing would've really been different had Tory not befriended Flubber. It didn't affect Tory or green Deoxys at all. Them simply restoring Flubber would be enough for Green Deoxys to befriend them and bring them on a ride. He also has nothing to do with Rayquaza. Hell, it probably would've been better to have Tory nearly or actually get caught up in one of Rayquaza's many Hyper Beams. It probably wouldn't hurt him too much, being Pokemon, it would connect him to the legendaries and give him a stronger reason to be so afraid of Pokemon in general.

You can't give a legendary top billing, give most of the movie to a human character and then not have the human strongly connected to the legendary. It just makes the movie seem horribly disjointed.

As for Tory himself, he's another problem to me. Tory's basically dull as dishwater. His only trait is being afraid of Pokemon and being a nice kid. I suppose he also has an interesting character design with always-contracted pupils, but that's it. He's not particularly smart, skilled or fun. They didn't even try a little harder to make him memorable and just make him a little annoying. In fact, looking at it, it's almost like they took all the possible character traits for Tory and gave them to the battle tower group. Rafe is skilled with Pokemon and he's cool, Sid is fun and dorky, Rebecca's very smart and the twins are annoying. They just forgot to leave a character trait for Tory.

While we're on the topic of characters, May, Max and Brock barely got to do anything either. They were definitely more included than Brock and Misty were in movie 05, but they still didn't get to do much of anything. They help in trying to get Tory over his fear and help in getting the windmills going, but outside of that they don't get much to do. They can't really participate much anyway since their Pokemon are stuck in their Pokeballs for a good chunk of the movie, and for some reason they didn't let any out to meet Flubber like the battle tower group.

Finally, I find the ending to be flat out dumb. There are really THAT MANY block robots in this city? Enough to make a city-destroying flood of blocks? And they really needed to make that the big disaster of the movie instead of something actually related to the plot? It comes out of friggin' nowhere. At least in movie 05 the big flood was somewhat foreshadowed. This was totally random and again has really nothing to do with our main plot. Who is really afraid of a bunch of block robots with cartoony emoticon faces and six-year-old voices anyway?

This ending also could've been resolved very easily with Deoxys. Deoxys has been causing electromagnetic mayhem everywhere, right? It's been causing power outages and malfunctions all over the city. Even, coincidentally enough, disabling the block robots. So why could it just not disable them with those same abilities instead of just becoming a shield for Rayquaza? If you really needed to do that couldn't you have Deoxys, preferably the pink stone one, to protect Rayquaza while the green one disables the robots? Hell, why could Rayquaza not destroy a good chunk of these blocks with its Hyper Beams?

Oh what did you not want to take away from the epic ending of Ash swiping his passport to stop the robots? You know, I always thought the ending of Star Wars would've been better if Luke had just destroyed the death star by filing a complaint in to the empire.

Considering that the Rayquaza and Deoxys battle had no epic moment or actual ending, that means this  movie has two lame climaxes. The only technically 'epic' part of the movie is when the two Deoxys meet and merge their lights, but considering we've been seeing these lights the whole movie and them combining really makes them less impressive in regards to color to be honest, it's really not something to write home about.

Even the credits were slightly disappointing because the movies usually use that time to let the art department have some fun by putting the main group in a bunch of detailed and usually quite visually appealing environments that we typically don't get to see them in, but here they spend most of the credits on the train, we get one detailed shot of them camping and then the rest is weird cheerleading by the Pokemon in front of a cheesy 90's-esque background.

Art and Animation
: Better than the series, but I still noticed quite a few bad shots such as this.

What is up with James' face there?

The animation is on par with basically all of the movies and despite my poke at the CGI in the opener, the rest of the CGI with the robots is pretty decent, and I can thank God that they didn't make Rayquaza CGI. They did make Deoxys CGI a few times, but that was it and it wasn't bad. Also, I should mention that the cinematography in this movie is really great. Nothing breathtaking, but some shots were wonderfully lit, had great angles and really good atmosphere.

I will mention one part during the evacuation where the people are walking up a ramp to get on a plane and they're very obviously simple CGI walk cycles being slid across the ramp.

Music: Outside of the insert song, which is also the ED,
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 01:40:56 am »

Pokemon EXTRAVAGANZA! Pokemon Movie 07: Deoxys the Visitor Subbed Review

Rating: 3/10

Plot: A mysterious meteor lands on earth near the north pole containing the alien Pokemon Deoxys. It tries to take a strange stone from deep within the snow, but Rayquaza, angry at the intrusion on its territory, violently attacks Deoxys and ends up seemingly killing him before returning to the sky. Four years later, Deoxys regenerates its body and continues its search for the stone, and Rayquaza wants to take him down once more.

Meanwhile, Satoshi and the others meet a boy named Toi who suffers from a paralyzing fear of Pokemon after a traumatic experience with them as a small child. They try to help him get over this fear by getting him accustomed to Pokemon, but they find that helping Toi is a lot more difficult than they first thought.

===================

From all I can find, this movie is a very loyal translation, if not the most loyal adaptation we've seen so far, so I don't believe this requires a step-by-step analysis. Instead, let's go back to the tried and true 20 minute chunklet method.

20 Minute Mark

The World of Pokemon opener is actually the same dialogue we've come to know of it instead of trying to shoehorn in stuff about the Pokeball itself.

Just now noticing that the animation on the Jolteon in the opener with the herd of Pokemon running is so jarring I'd even say it's incomplete.

Now I know what this opener with the awful CGI reminds me of. Pokemon Snap. Mm, I miss Pokemon Snap.

I don't have the Japanese video track so, sadly, I can't compare the title screens.

Tory's Japanese name is Toi. Also, his last named is Rondo, which may be accurately-ish turned into Tory Lund.

Status update: Munchlax/Gonbe is still adorable and hilarious.

Oh god, the little cube robots are just as annoying here as they were in the dub....

40 Minute Mark

Satoshi tells Toi he just wants to battle as they exit the elevator whereas Ash just said 'Wait, we just wanna...' which makes it a little more understanding in the original as to why this guy just shoved these kids into the battle tower system....the system still should have recognized that Toi's not a trainer, though.

Likewise, Hitomi/Rebecca says Satoshi beat her to the arena not that he cut in front of her. Wording is everything, 4Kids.

And I have no idea how I got through movie 06 without noticing this, but Masato's Japanese voice is terrible.

Hitomi was changed to Rebecca, Ryu was changed to Rafe and Shota was changed to Sid.

Satoshi actually like kind of a jerk when he takes the reigns in the match. Whereas Ash tells Tory not to worry about battling, Satoshi says, in a pretty rough tone, 'I've had enough of this! I'll do this alone!' Dude, chill out. He said he's not a trainer and yet you pestered him to battle all because you were way too hyped to battle someone you met ten minutes ago. Is it really a surprise he has no idea what to do?

Status Update: Yup, still adorable.

Later Status Update: Still hilarious.

Okay, so we get a bit of a trade off here. Haruka is a little more rude to Shota than May is to Sid and Takeshi is much less of a pushy controlling asshat in that one scene with Hitomi than Brock was with Rebecca.

Obviously, the insert song during the little Pokemon party is completely different from the dub's. And....this song really is just bad. I feel like this song should be in some moe shoujo anime, not Pokemon. The melody is okay, a little toe-tapping, but the lyrics and vocals are just....gah. Not to mention, with all the talk of stars, this song seems more suited for movie 06....

Also, the song just suddenly ends after the second chorus. *shrug*

One Hour Mark

Nothing of note, really.

One Hour 20 minute Mark

Haruka: “Motionless escalators feel kinda weird.”

…...Excuse me, Mitch, gonna borrow a joke for a second.

Mitch Hedberg: “I like escalators because escalators can never break. They can only become stairs. There would never be an 'escalator temporarily out of order' sign, only an 'escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.'”

For the record, May merely said that she'd never take escalators for granted again.

Audrey and Catherine, Rafe's sisters, keep their original names. Though I have to wonder why they have English names and Ryu's is very obviously Japanese.

End

Satoshi: “Professor Rondo, Toi's not the only one who can save the city. I'm here too!” You really can't let anyone else have the spotlight for five minutes, can you? This is movie 04 all over again.

Wow, Kabigon/Snorlax's Japanese voice is.....just awful. Just....terrible.

As expected, the end credits song is just the insert song only longer and somehow it's even worse in the extended version. The added lyrics are even more cutesy and lame and while it's not horribly repetitive, it still is such.

Bottomline:
This movie is damn near identical to the 4Kids version barring some minor dialogue changes that both make the script better and worse, so it evens out. The music is worse thanks to the lone vocal song, but then again the video isn't cropped so that also evens out. All in all, I have the same problems with the original as I do the dub. Some problems differ due to slight script changes, but I'm ultimately just as 'satisfied' with the original as I was with the dub.

Next up, something I'm actually pretty excited for. The Pokemon movie that practically everyone says is the best ever and even a great standalone movie; Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. While I roughly know the plot and have seen various clips, I have never sat down and watched it so I am really interested to see what all the hullabaloo's about. Movie 08 is also the last 4Kids dubbed Pokemon movie, so you can say goodbye to them. Say what you will about 4Kids, but son of a bitch I am going to miss the original cast so hard. The new one makes the back of my throat itch.

Recommended Audience:
Same as the dub, 6+
Report Spam   Logged

Mightymike
Mightymike
Resident

I'm baaaaack

Apple User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 04:26:12 pm »

That's actually the last Pokemon movie I remember watching.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between someone who *thinks* they're superior and the one who *knows*, is that the one who *knows* remains humble and respectful. The one who *thinks* goes out of their way to appear superior.

CHALLENGE ME!

Roleplays Active In:
DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »

Pokemon EXTRAVAGANZA Shorties! Pikachu's Winter Vacation 2 – Kanga Games Review

Rating: 8/10

Plot: After having some fun in the cabin the night before, the Pokemon look outside to see a blanket of fresh snow covering the countryside. When they decide to play outside, Pikachu and Togepi bump into a Kangaskhan/Garura who wants her baby to play with them.

Breakdown: This is a really great short. I mean, obviously it's not plot heavy or anything, but it's pretty funny and cute for what it is. This is one of those rare times where we actually get to see a baby Garura out of its mother's pouch, and it is just incredibly adorable even if it does have a moment where it's just another 'Togepi' to take care of.

We get a couple of really funny moments, one of which involving Squirtle/Zenigame and Bulbasaur/Fushigidane sledding that was just hilarious.

We do have one conflict to deal with in this short, but it's just a rescue type deal.

I will say that Meowth/Nyasu's incredibly small part was pretty pointless. It was a tiny bit funny, but I could've done without it. I also liked the very ending where Ash/Satoshi and co. return and all the Pokemon cuddle up with them and hide in their jackets like the baby Garura. That was cute.

We have an ending theme specifically for this episode, and it's....alright. I don't see what the lyrics have to do with Christmas or winter, but it's there and it's fine.

Other than that, not much to say about it. Oh, though I do now completely agree with Dogasu of Bulbagarden on Garura's dub voice. Garura sounds like such a kind, sweet and gentle mothering Pokemon. Kangaskhan sounds like a 50 year old guy who has been smoking since he was a toddler.

Recommended Audience
: E for everyone!
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:00 pm »

Pokemon EXTRAVAGANZA! Movie 08: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew Review

Rating: 9/10

Plot: Many years ago, a kingdom was under threat of destruction from a war between two factions that had nothing to do with it. Sir Aaron, Guardian of Aura, is credited for saving the kingdom and being a hero to the land. However, it's revealed that he sealed away his student and friend, a Lucario, in his staff for hundreds of years. Lucario is suddenly released from the staff by Ash, and he believes Sir Aaron abandoned the queen, the kingdom and him all those years ago. When Ash and the others lose Pikachu to the Mew that lives in the mysterious tree of beginnings, they start a journey to retrieve him with Lucario reluctantly leading the way. Is Sir Aaron really a hero? Or is he merely a traitor?

=================

Obligatory poster babble: This poster’s pretty good, even if it does look slightly muddled. And why exactly does Munchlax take up more of the poster than May, Max or Brock, whose face basically gets sliced in half?

I will point out that Ash’s hero outfit is not purple like it’s being shown here. It’s dark blue as Aaron’s was. No idea why that’s like that.

----------------------------------

Finally entering into mostly uncharted territory. I say 'mostly' because despite the fact that I have never seen this movie outright, I have seen clips and heard a lot about it. There's a lot of praise surrounding this movie. Like I said, even some critics I watch who don't seem to be Pokemon fans have listed this movie as one of their favorite movies or animated movies ever.

But what makes it so good? And is it really as good as many people claim?

=========================

Our movie starts out, predictably enough, with yet another variation on The World of Pokemon intro. However, unlike the previous intros, this one actually doesn't mention Ash or his friends directly. Clips of him and his companions are put behind the explanation of trainers in their entirety, which I like. It doesn't put so much emphasis on Ash being the big hero of every story and instead allows him and his friends to just be a handful among the many trainers around the globe.

Our narrator brings us back into olden times 'before Pokeballs ever existed'. Really, movie? You're going to make me get nerdy before the title screen? Okay, let's do this. Ahem. Skipping ahead a tad, we see that this movie seems based roughly in medieval England-ish times considering Sir Aaron's outfit design, the fact that he's titled 'sir', indicating some knighthood, and some of the designs of the architecture. Plus, the description for the movie says this is a some hundreds of years in the past, not thousands.

There have been artifacts found in ancient times that have powers that were basically the exact same as Pokeballs – most notably in the episode The Ancient Puzzle of Pokemopolis. These artifacts were of varying designs and none of them were really similar to the modern Pokeballs we know today, but they served the exact same function.

If you want to make the argument that that doesn't count somehow, there is also an ancient Pokeball from Pokelantis that looks very similar to the modern Pokeballs of today and served the same function shown in the episode Battling the Enemy Within.

We see a rather beautifully animated Lucario traversing the mountains, and he uses his aura ability to seek out other living beings. Using this ability, he spots an army of people and Pokemon in red armor. I gotta say, while there's not a real point for a lot of these Pokemon to be wearing armor, such as Rhydon and Steelix, these Pokemon look awesome with this armor on.

Using his aura ability again, he looks off into the other direction to sense another army, this one wearing green armor. I know it's unlikely, but I like to think that this is a poke to the original Japanese versions of the first games, especially seeing as how there's a Charizard on the red side. There's a Blastoise on the Green side if they're making it some kind of combination reference for the original Green and later released Blue.

As a Ho-Oh flies overhead, Pokemon from the Red army start to corner Lucario, so he contacts his master, Sir Aaron, through a nearby crystal.

At a really beautiful castle on an even more beautiful barring the sickly sepia-tone-ish colors everywhere landscape, we see Sir Aaron and the queen, Rin, whose hair must weigh 70 lbs, as Aaron answers the crystal. Lucario updates him on the situation and the Queen claims that the kingdom will fall once the armies reach the castle.

Lucario fights off the Red Army Houndoom with his aura abilities after getting temporarily blinded in battle while the Queen stands firm in staying with her people and the castle no matter if they all shall fall and perish. And yes, while they don't say 'die' they do say there won't be any survivors so....

Sir Aaron flies off towards the armies with his Pidgeot—Oh look, a Pidgeot. Isn't that quaint not-even-born-yet-Ash?

Aaron's Pidgeot gets badly wounded and crashes into the trees and Aaron doesn't seem to give a crap about it. Doesn't say anything, no visible emotion on his face, just 'well, that happened, where's Lucario?' Pidgeot can't catch a break.

As Lucario catches up to Sir Aaron, he reveals that he's no longer Lucario's master nor is he allied with the Queen or the Kingdom anymore. As Lucario tries to make sense of Aaron's seeming betrayal, Aaron recalls Lucario into the crystal on his staff before running away. I like the added bit of the staff shaking after Lucario is inside of it. Either it's a nod to how Pokeballs shake when a capture is in progress or it's showing that Lucario is so upset by Aaron's actions that he's actually causing the staff to shake. I prefer the latter.

The two armies converge, Pidgeot appears and seems fine, so that's good, Ho-Oh turns out to be a Mew in disguise and Pidgeot returns Aaron's staff to the queen. Suddenly, the tree of beginnings and all of the crystals across the land glow green. The story is then narrated by a woman who is telling her daughter a story as the scene turns into a storybook. She explains that Aaron went to the tree of beginnings and did....something with Mew that caused peace to fall over the land. The armies lost the hatred in their hearts and left the land, and the kingdom was restored. Sir Aaron was forever memorialized as the hero of the land.

We then get our title screen, which, despite some iffy CGI on Aaron's staff, weird animation effects on the text and holding on shots for too long, is a pretty nice intro. I like when they showed the evolution of certain aspects of technology through time.

We're back with Ash and the others as the narrator, the actual one, explains that Ash and his friends are currently at Cameran Palace where an annual festival is being held in honor of Sir Aaron. A bunch of awkwardly animated CGI Pokemon trainers gather together for a competition in which the winner will be crowned Guardian of the Aura. Ash, May, Max and Brock are also planning to partake in the festivities while Mew wanders the town turning into a bunch of different Pokemon for really no reason.

Ash and the others go buy some traditional costumes for the festival, and I do like May's outfit. She did a nice bow with her bandana and the Beautifly bow on the back is not only pretty but it suits May considering that she has/had one. Meanwhile, Brock chose clothes that make him look like a monk or a priest while Max chose an outfit that makes him look like Mickey Mouse.

Three guesses as to what Ash looks like....

Yup, he chose an outfit that made him look exactly like Sir Aaron. Well, I guess if we'll take him out of the World of Pokemon intro to make him feel more like an everyman Trainer we have to take the time out to purposely dress him like a real hero...who is also a storybook hero and a legend....and then later crown him as the Guardian of the Aura....essentially making him a pseudo-Sir Aaron...Hero of our story...I'm probably more bitter about this than I really should, especially since Ash has really only been a 'chosen one' hero in one other movie, but something about it just irks me. I do have to say, though, the costume does look pretty good on him.

Even Pikachu gets a spiffy new costume that makes him look like a court jester, and it does make him look pretty cute.

The costume that Jessie picks out looks horrendous. It's just so busy.

At the arena, Queen Ilene, descendant of and near mirror image of Queen Rin, announces the start of the tournament where.....We get our theme song? Again? Finally?! YAY!

While this is yet another opener with a theme song overlaying on a Pokemon battle, 1) I don't care, I'm just glad they have the theme song back and 2) Advanced Battle's theme song is great, so I still don't care.

Ash is up first against an unnamed trainer with a Breloom. I should note that the trainer's traditional garb costume clearly has a Pokeball symbol on it. That could just be attributed to non-accurate costumes, but considering the 'time before Pokeballs' line earlier, I felt like nit-picking.

Ash chooses Pikachu, because of course he does, and somehow Pikachu loses his costume between shots. One minute he's charging up his electricity with his costume on, the next he's landing a hit without the costume and it never returns.

Next we get a battle between some dude in cool looking armor and his Weavile against Not-Ash!? Opener battle showcasing someone besides Ash? Holy crap! Anyway, his opponent is someone in robes with a Tropius. Weavile wins the match.

Next battle is someone I can't see with a Misdreavus against a Ninetales! Awesome! We hardly ever get to see a Ninetales do anything. Not that it matters, because it ends up losing, I believe, by a rather cool attack from Misdreavus.

We get a quick montage of battles with the tournament bracket overlaying over the scenes, but they don't put the names or pictures on the brackets and animate it to show a passage of time, they just increasingly zoom in on the 'final' part. Obviously, Ash is a finalist and he's actually facing off against the armor guy and his Weavile. Nice consistency, movie!

Pikachu, of course, ends up winning the match through a gigantic, dangerous to the spectators and trainers, Thundershock.

As Ash is crowned the Guardian, the armor guy shows up to congratulate Ash and reveals that he's actually a girl named Kidd.

Later that night, in the palace, Ash is being formally presented with Sir Aaron's staff. Team Rocket are in the background and we see James' outfit, which is actually pretty damn tame compare to Jessie's. He just looks like a stereotypical 1800's Englishman.

Nitpicky again, but Ilene says that the staff of Sir Aaron is Ash's now....I only bring this up because the wording makes it seem like he can keep it. “The staff is yours now.” Which, since this has been a long-standing tradition with every winner getting the staff, can't be true.

Ash accepts the staff and as he marvels in it, he suddenly hears the voice of Lucario from within the crystal asking why he was betrayed by his master.

They have a ball in Ash and Sir Aaron's honor and all of the creepy CGI models stiffly dance.

May dances with someone who looks twice her age, Brock dances with Kidd, Pikachu dances with the Mew disguised as an Aipom and Max stuffs his face. Meanwhile, Ash just sits on the throne watching everyone else have fun. He's forced to do so in order to keep up appearances, and golly gee it sure is a nice prize to miss out on a party to sit in a chair and hold a pretty stick.

He lets out all of his Pokemon to have fun at the party....without asking the Queen if it'd be okay to do that. I mean, yeah, she has a Pokemon, a Mime Jr., and Pikachu and Aimew are able to be out just fine, but seriously you should ask first before letting a bunch of animals run loose in a fancy palace.

May does the same thing, again, without asking.

At this point, I have to ask....is there something different about the VA's in later seasons? Eric Stuart and Rachel Lillis sound weird for some reason.

Kidd breaks away from Brock for a second to make a call in private. We learn that she's actually working for some strange organization with someone named Banks. She asks for blueprint information to be sent to her visor in an effort to hunt down Mew.

Meanwhile, the Pokemon all head upstairs to the attic to play with a bunch of toys. I would ask why there are so many toys in a palace attic, but I want that Suicune rocking horse and legendary birds mobile too much to care. I will, however, complain again about the lack of supervision for these Pokemon. Letting them out in a fancy palace is one thing, not bothering to keep an eye on them is quite another.

Kidd starts to swing around the rooftops of the palace like she's Spider-man, and man, Kidd's hair is ridiculous when she's in her 'stealth' outfit. How does she get through doors?

She finally spots Mew when it transforms back at the worst time possible. There wasn't even any reason for it to transform back into its original state. Kidd sends out her two Weavile to place a transmitter on the Mew.

The Weavile pursue Mew, freezing all of the other Pokemon besides Pikachu and Meowth because, oh god, wouldn't want them to actually contribute or anything.

Weavile manages to blow Pikachu away by combining their Ice Beams and creating an explosion when combined with Pikachu's Thunderbolt. I do find it rather cute that Meowth not only catches Pikachu, but he carries Pikachu around afterward. Granted, yeah, Team Rocket wants to steal him, but I really don't get any bad vibes from Meowth when he's doing this. Then the Weavile dance and pose like they're a slightly more graceful version of the Ginyu Force.

*shrug*

Max spots the Pokemon upstairs, though can't get to them due to the ice blocking the door, and Mew teleports them away. Hey, Kidd, ya know, a good way to capture a Mew, a Pokemon that seems to love teleporting, might be with a Pokemon that knows Teleport. Then again, you seem way too surprised that Mew even could teleport.

Mew transforms yet again, this time into a Pidgeot, and flies Meowth and Pikachu away from the palace.

It should be noted that Kidd is actually angry that her Weavile were being so aggressive with Mew and the others, so her intentions don't seem to be very bad.

Lucario pipes up again as he sees the painting of Sir Aaron and as Ash holds the staff up to call for the fireworks to start, Lucario releases himself. Still blind....somehow (he was blinded by dust hundreds of years ago, why did he not recover from that yet?) he believes Ash to be Aaron since he's only using Aura to see. However, when Ash starts to talk to Lucario, he slowly opens his eyes and sees that he's not Sir Aaron. Has he been in stasis this whole time or has Lucario never thought to try and open his eyes?

...Actually, now that I mention it, maybe he was in some kind of stasis. That would explain why Lucario hasn't died of old age.

Lucario runs away from the party and looks around the palace, confused as to why people are celebrating when the kingdom is under attack and why everything looks odd. He flashes back to when Sir Aaron first brought him to the palace as his new home and started training him in using Aura.

Queen Ilene, Ash and the others meet Lucario in his old bedroom where they reveal the sad news to him that he's been sealed and asleep for hundreds of years, deeply shocking Lucario as he looks at the relics encased in glass like a museum.

In the throne room, Lucario explains what happened all those years ago, particularly why he seemed to disappear in the middle of the battle. Wait, if Sir Aaron and Lucario seemingly disappeared at the same time during the war and were partners, why not assume that Lucario also gave his life in some way to quell the fighting and save the palace? Why just believe he vanished without warning? Makes it seem like Lucario's a traitor while Sir Aaron is the only hero. Actually, if they knew Lucario was trapped in there, wouldn't anyone be questioning why Aaron did that?

Queen Ilene explains the legend as it has been passed on through the centuries, but Lucario argues that Sir Aaron abandoned the Queen and the palace not that he managed to miraculously end the war and save the palace.

Ash asks why Lucario thought he was Aaron and Lucario states that the aura within Ash is similar to Aaron's. Look, I have all sorts of questions as to how this tradition has gone on for so long without a single person triggering Lucario's awakening and release, but I suppose I can just accept the really unlikely possibility that Ash's aura is so much like Sir Aaron's that it spurred/allowed Lucario's release and that no other tournament winner ever has had an aura close to Sir Aaron's. But if I have to accept that, everyone else has to accept that that I'll be salty about this basically meaning Ash is another 'Chosen one' because I hate that trope.

James: “He was locked in that staff for over a thousand years.” Err...I guess I can also accept that the Pokemon world doesn't work on real world timelines because, given the setting they were in, it really just seemed like medieval England-ish, which was far from a thousand years ago. Then again, this is Team Rocket, so they could very well be wrong.

Max returns and relays the information about Mew, Meowth and Pikachu to Ash and the others while they catch him up on Lucario. This whole conversation showcases a really odd dynamic. Ash and the others are not surprised in the least that Max saw a Mew, only May asks if he's sure it was a Mew and not some other Pokemon. Though I do have to ask how May even knows what a Mew is. I would say Ash and Brock know and are cool about it because of movie 01, but they forgot about it so I'll just stand firm in my belief that Ash and his friends are just used to seeing legendary Pokemon now.

However, when they relay the information to Max about Lucario, Brock is prattling the info off like it's no big deal or even something odd while Max is going 'Whaaa?!'

Kidd is back in her ball garb because....I don't know why. She's explaining that she was on the roof and she doesn't have bad intentions really so there's no reason why she felt the need to change. Also, if you thought people pronouncing Charmander as Charminder was bad; Kidd pronounces Pidgeot as PIDG-IT. I've never been so badly irked so quickly. I got irk-lash.

Queen Ilene explains that it's not surprising that Mew took them and was probably playing with them as Mew is frequently around the palace playing around and taking toys to someplace never to be seen again. This freaks out both Ash and Team Rocket....well, James anyway, as this may mean that Pikachu and Meowth are gone forever.

The Queen tells them that Mew is likely at the tree of beginnings, which is revealed to not actually be a tree at all but a rock formation in the shape of a tree, which might explain all the weird crystals around the city. Ash is determined to go there and find Pikachu, but Ilene warns that Mew takes on many forms and doesn't usually show its true form to humans. However, Lucario's abilities with Aura allow it to see Mew's true form, so Ilene requests him to join Ash on his journey, which he accepts.

Kidd returns now in her stealth clothes..... Why'd you get back into that ball gown if you were just gonna change your clothes back 10 minutes later?

She says that she wants to join Ash and his friends on their journey when Brock suddenly gushes as he recognizes her as the legendary Kidd Summers, a woman who has broken the world record for most world records broken. She's basically perfect at everything, but that doesn't have much to do with anything. Thanks for adding some characterization, though.

Also, I really like that Mime Jr. is mimicking Brock as he gushes over Kidd.

It is a bit strange that it took Brock this long to realize who she was, though. He keeps a book with her adventures on him at all times, he's seen her face several times and even danced with her and he knew her name was Kidd. How could a person who is so into women that he can actually tell the Jennys and Joys apart easily not recognize that this woman was someone he seems to idolize? It's not like Kidd is a common name either, nor does she have a generic face. He really needed to see her in her trademark pink outfit and weird illogical hair poofs to realize it was her? I guess that explains why she needed to change back into her ball gown earlier, though. Didn't want her backstory to interrupt the plot.

Kidd explains that the reason she's here is to explore and research the tree of beginnings and Mew to unlock the mystery behind them. Uh, okay....why not just ask the Queen if you could do that? Hell, considering the Queen seems to know Mew, perhaps she could've convinced it to wear the tracker, like a toy or something. Why did she feel the need to sneak around in order to do her work?

Ash and Lucario meet later that night in one of the chambers. Ash thanks Lucario for helping him out with Pikachu, and Lucario asks if he's Pikachu's master. Ash says no, even though that is technically correct, and says they're best friends. He asks Lucario if he'd do the same for one of his friends and Lucario says he doesn't have any nor does he want any friends.

Ash grumbles over Lucario's attitude, but dude, keep in mind, he still believes the one person he thought was even close to being a friend betrayed him by locking him away in a staff for however many years while abandoning the palace and the Queen. Lucario may seem a little emo, but he has a bit of a right to be.

Lucario leads the group through a dense fog using its aura abilities, and I'm just now realizing that there's no real reason why Lucario should be able to sense rocks....Aura senses energy within living beings. Plants I can buy; not rocks. And, no, I'm not counting Rock Pokemon.

While discussing the power of aura, they basically spoil a part of the movie by deducing that since Ash's Aura is very similar to Sir Aaron's (how is that really possible without reincarnation being a factor?) that he should be able to control aura too. Gee, I wonder if he'll do that in this movie....

I guess this is one way we might be differentiating this Mew from movie 01's Mew; its voice is entirely different....and not in a good way. Movie 01 Mew sounded like a kitten and was really cute. This one's voice is much lower, basically hums its one word dialogue and sounds like a baby.

The group stops for a nice lunch and a wild Bonsly tries to steal a plate of food. Lucario takes the plate from the Bonsly and scolds it for stealing while offering a bit of fruit to the Pokemon. I could've skipped this part, but it really does seem like a sneak peak at a more soft-hearted Lucario. 

Pikachu wakes up in the tree of beginnings after being tended to by Mew and Meowth. Pikachu and Mew play for a bit and, again, I see legit caring for Pikachu from Meowth. He seems elated when Pikachu wakes up, gets worried when he sees Pikachu fall and then breathes a sigh of relief when Pikachu shows that he's fine and gets back up. Did Pikachu and Meowth bond somewhere down the line in the show and I never caught it?

Meowth leans against a knot in the tree which sends him through a portal, leading him into a green room with a bunch of green floating bubbles. Pikachu and Mew follows suit, bouncing on the bubbles and having fun. At the end of the line, Meowth, Pikachu and Mew find themselves in a beautiful spot with a gorgeous view.

As the group comes to a bunch of geysers in their path, they decide to stop at a hot spring to take a bath.....ya know, I let the lunch thing slide because they have to eat. I will not the bath slide. Pikachu, for all they know, is injured and being held in some place where Mew keeps all its toys for all eternity. Yet they decide to stop in the middle of their journey for a bath in a hot spring. Even if Pikachu wasn't injured, he's still being held in some strange place far away from his best friend/master. Again, for all they know, he's lonely and scared. Yet they decide that it's bath time.

Ash does bring up missing Pikachu....but dude, if you were really that eager to get Pikachu back you'd be in the car right now not bathing.

This does, however, set up another flashback for Lucario back to a time where he and Sir Aaron also enjoyed the hot spring.

Ash tries to invite Lucario into the hot spring, but he just walks away.

Ash: “Wonder what's wrong with it?” Did you not hear the whole 'my master betrayed me, abandoned me and the kingdom that was so precious to us' story?

May and Ash find a flower-like crystal in the rocks nearby and accidentally pick it, causing another flashback in which Sir Aaron reveals that the flower is actually a time flower; something that allows you to see the past if you have the power of aura.

Ash and the others decide to replant the time flower, which, when handed to Ash, starts to glow. So is it that it reacts to aura period or that it reacts to people who are trained in controlling aura? Because according to Sir Aaron, aura is something everyone has but requires training to control. Yes, Ash's aura is similar to Sir Aaron's, but unless he's a straight up reincarnation with aura control simply for being like Sir Aaron, it doesn't make any sense as to why this is happening.

When the plant responds, it shows Ash accidentally picking the time flower earlier and falling off the cliff......wow, such a useful flower showing what happened a couple hours ago....to the person holding the flower...

When this happens, Kidd explains the legend of the time flower and says it reacted to Ash since his aura and Sir Aaron's are the same. Wait, we've jumped from 'similar' to 'the same'. How can their auras be identical to each other if reincarnation is not a factor? I guess you could surmise that Ash is a distant relative to Sir Aaron, but, to the best of our knowledge, Sir Aaron never reproduced before running off to his supposed death.

Later that night, Ash is, for some reason, recalling that Pikachu didn't like him at all when they first met and that they became friends after Ash tried to save the wounded Pikachu from a flock of Spearow and how Pikachu in turn saved him way back in episode one. Geez, that's a hell of a distant flashback.

Also, they loyally redid the entire scene from that episode instead of just ripping the shot straight from the episode. Good on ya, guys.

…..Though....I do have to point out a gigantic problem here....Ash, why the hell are you sharing such a touching tale of friendship blooming between a Pokemon and human....when Lucario is five feet away? Ixnay on the otentiallypay urtfulhay orystay.

In response to this tale, Lucario has another flashback about Sir Aaron training him in using aura by avoiding swinging logs while blindfolded. After the flashback concludes, Lucario angrily states that all humans are untrustworthy and starts to walk away. I have to ask why Lucario is still so loyal to the Queen if he now distrusts all humans. This isn't even the same queen he knew back then.

Hearing this, Ash confronts Lucario stating that he is trustworthy and would never abandon Pikachu, though Lucario doesn't believe him. In a rage, Ash accuses Lucario of lying about Sir Aaron's betrayal and even goes so far as to accuse Lucario of being the one who betrayed Sir Aaron and abandoned the Queen. Yeah, and then he sealed himself away in Sir Aaron's staff for hundreds of years because reasons. Good detective work, Ash.

Angered even further, Lucario surmises that maybe Pikachu wasn't abducted by Mew and that he might have ran off because he didn't want Ash for a trainer.

Ash then flips out and tackles Lucario to the ground, causing them to roll down a banking and into a nearby river where they have a wrestling match, which Lucario wins. After Lucario walks away, Ash dries off and after gaining some clarity on his words by May, Ash regrets what he said. Ooh wait, I just remembered. Ash tackling legendary Pokemon is back!

“But Lucario's not legendar--” *brick'd*

Later, Max meets Lucario on a hill and offers him some chocolate to cheer him up. Never having eaten chocolate before, Lucario enjoys the sweet new taste while not trying to openly show his enjoyment or appreciation to Max.

Back at the tree of beginnings, Pikachu, Meowth and Mew continue to enjoy themselves with neat toys like a music box that has a surfing Lapras and plays Jigglypuff's song. However, Pikachu says that he wants to go back to Ash and the others. In an effort to make him want to stay, Mew shows him more cool toys like a noisemaker that looks like a Shuckle shell that shows the Shuckle when you blow on it and a spinning Hitmontop on a yo-yo string. Pikachu resigns himself to staying with Mew, but sadly looks up to the sky while saying Ash's name (Pika-pi is Pikachu's way of saying Satoshi, Ash's Japanese name.)

Somehow, Ash immediately wakes up in response. I know this is meant to highlight what a strong bond the two have, but it's so instantaneous that it seems like Ash has psychic powers. He leaves the van and quietly stares at the tree before he says 'Pikachu' which Lucario overhears and sees.

The next day, Lucario stops in the middle of the path as he realizes that he's at the spot where Sir Aaron  sealed him in the staff. He drops to his knees in front of a time flower, and I would say this is incredibly convenient, but it was established in that scene that there was a time flower nearby.....how it stayed there for that long is beyond me, but they did.

The time flower shows exactly what happened on that day. Aaron sealing Lucario away and then him flying away on his Pidgeot. However, we get even more than what we saw before as we see the two armies intersecting directly on top of where the group is now. Aw, does that mean the staff was shaking because the ground was?.....I'm still going with my theories, they're better. *pout*

Lucario freaks out and starts attacking the illusions, only to be brought to his senses by Ash before the vision ends. I don't really know why Lucario didn't figure that out for himself. He's a master of aura; he can sense life forces; he should've realized the armies weren't really there.

Brock: “You know what I think? Lucario was right.”

…........Brock....why do you always point out the obvious? Really, it seems to be a rather consistent character trait with you. Lucario's story was right? After you witnessed the entire event unfold in front of your eyes? No way. Hey, I wonder if this HD video evidence of someone committing a crime will be enough to convince a jury that the person committed the crime.

May: “But, I don't get it. How does that vision prove anything?”

…................................................May....are you retarded? No, it doesn't give proof that Sir Aaron completely abandoned the kingdom, but it does show pretty damning evidence that he betrayed Lucario and the kingdom because of what he said and did to Lucario, and it also shows him flying away on Pidgeot. It proves that Lucario's story was right. It's obviously an incomplete version of the story, but it's right.

Max: “I think I know. There was a big battle, and Sir Aaron must've abandoned Lucario.”

YES, we know that already. Lucario said that in his story, it's part of the legend and you just saw it before your eyes. Did you boil your brains in that hot spring?

Ash apologizes for what he said the other night in light of this vision, and he even cries about it. I know that him crying adds weight to this whole scene....but I am so tempted to hop back on my 'Ash is completely inconsistent on when he cries and when he doesn't' soap box.

Lucario asks him to promise that he'll never abandon Pikachu. Lucario, you really should be saying 'promise me you'll never abandon any of your Pokemon.' Yes, Pikachu is his partner, but he still has plenty of other Pokemon that he should feel obliged to pledge that to. Ash agrees and Lucario suddenly senses something. He pushes Ash out the way as they're attacked by a Regirock.

Ah the Regis.......I don't care for them.....That's about it. I just don't care for them. Their designs, their names, their powers, their backstories....nothing. Regirock does have a stupid voice, though.

Lucario leads them to a hidden tunnel and on the other side is a beautiful oasis filled with Pokemon, even several fossil Pokemon that the group isn't batting an eyelash at. I guess they're alive because it's under the tree of beginnings?

Since they're directly under the tree of beginnings...somehow, I could've sworn they were still quite a ways away, Ash and the others rush towards the surface to find Pikachu. Meanwhile, Kidd sends out a bunch of cool little survey robots to send data back to Banks. She says this area has been isolated and protected for tens of thousands of years, but if it's only protected by a fairly easily avoidable Regirock, I don't see how that's possible.

Seriously, how has this place gone overlooked by scientists for so long? It's a place that is not only known to harbor a Mew, but has a bunch of extinct Pokemon living below it. Not like it's easy to overlook; the damn 'tree' is essentially a mountain.

The robots survey the area and start lightly piercing the crystals to investigate them, but Registeel shows up to crush them, and his voice is just as weird. One of the robots ends up being consumed by a crystal after it mysteriously starts turning orange.

Banks reveals that the tree of beginning is actually a living being, feeding off of sunlight, that is an active part of the ecosystem. So the tree rock is literally a tree made of rock......I feel like we're going in circles.

Also, Banks' beard looks like he has a huge chin that was painted gray.....That doesn't have any bearing on anything, but it's true.

Out on the surface, Ash and Pikachu hear each other calling each other's names and as Ash rushes to find Pikachu, he comes face to face with Regice.

Ash: “AGH! REGICE!”

First, how the hell do you know what a Regice is? To the best of my knowledge, this is the debut of all of the Regis.

Second, it's redge-ice. Not Reggie-ice. At least that's how I've always said it considering the spelling. If it was Regi-Ice wouldn't it be spelled 'Regiice?

Also, his voice is even worse than the other two because it's a lot higher pitched.

Lucario helps protect Ash with his poorly animated shaky ball of doom.

They realize they can't fight Regice, even if Ash doesn't bother trying with his own Pokemon, so they run off and get trapped in a cave where Registeel and Regirock join the party.

Man they really did up the animation in this movie by quite a bit. James is being animated like he's in a much better show.

But jeez, Eric Stuart is really phoning in his James voice. He can't yell or emote in the least today.

Jessie gets absorbed by a weird orange gooey Lileep while James gets absorbed by a weird orange gooey Omastar. Before he does so, however, he releases his Chimecho to save itself (Cacnea was already out, but I like to think he'd do the same for it.) Small thing, but a nice gesture. I know how much James likes Chimecho.

Weird orange gooey fossils start pursuing the others as well, so now they have a bunch of powerful weird stuff attacking them from all angles in a confined area.

Kidd analyzes the goo and Banks tells her that the goo is essentially the equivalent to the tree of beginning's white blood cells. It's viewing the group as a threat and is assimilating them in order to protect the tree. Hm, that's actually a really clever idea.

As they continue running, Kidd almost gets absorbed, but Lucario takes the hit for her. However, the goo doesn't end up absorbing him because....

Kidd: “I guess Pokemon aren't considered dangerous.”

Whaaaat? Pokemon, of all things, aren't considered dangerous? Have you met Pokemon? They're pretty damn dangerous. I get that this probably means that, since it's a haven for Pokemon, it probably refuses to absorb Pokemon as a failsafe to protect the Pokemon housed within its walls, and humans are considered a bigger threat not only to it but to the overall ecosystem, but humans train Pokemon and they can be hella dangerous. It just seems like a weird way to put that.

Ash decides to stay behind and buy the others some time, and Lucario also decides to stay behind in loyalty to helping Ash find Pikachu.

Lucario: “And I know you'd do the same for me.”

D'aw.

Using Corphish and Grovyle, Ash starts his delay tactics. And damn it's cute that Grovyle decides to carry Corphish to help him run.

Later, Brock, Max and May also get absorbed, releasing their Pokemon as well to save them from their fate. Again, really great gesture.

I also find it weird that all of the Pokemon but Forrettress walks sadly to the spot where Brock and May disappeared. It's not like it'd be difficult to animate him going to the spot; did they just forget?

Pikachu and Ash finally meet back up, but they're on two different sides of a huge crevice with only the giant crystals connecting the gap. Ash and Pikachu try to make their way to each other while trying to maintain their balance on the slippery crystals as well as fighting off the severe winds gusting through the center.

Pikachu and Ash nearly fall into the abyss after catching each other in midair, but Kidd manages to catch them and return them to safety. And, ya know, as much as Pikachu tends to irk me, the way he nuzzles Ash's cheek when they're back on solid ground is endlessly adorable.

Lucario gets captured by Registeel, and Ash and Kidd get captured by the goo--

Lucario: “Ash!” I know you've really only bonded with Ash, but Kidd's getting captured too. Have some courtesy.

Ash and Kidd let out their Pokemon before they're consumed, and despite the valiant efforts of Pikachu and the others to save him (Guess screw Kidd, huh, Weavile bros?) they fail and Ash and Kidd disappear.

Well, Pikachu and the other Pokemon are crying. Does that mean Ash and the others will come back from being consumed by gooey Pokemon shaped white blood cells?

Oh did I say the other Pokemon? I mean only Ash's because apparently the Weavile really don't care about Kidd as they stand there with no expression.

Geez, Pikachu is legit sobbing. Stop, you're breaking my heart and giving me more than my fare share of movie 01 flashbacks.

Seeing that Mew can't cheer up the distraught Pikachu, he decides to take action and imbue his power into the tree of beginnings, allowing everyone to return. So...where the hell were they this entire time? If we take these things as real white blood cells then shouldn't they have really...died? Were they stuck in some sort of rock purgatory?

At least the Weavile express happiness at Kidd's return, though they're probably thinking “Damn, that was our best shot at getting her millions!”

Haha, I love the way the other Pokemon glomp Ash and Grovyle just walks up to him with his arms crossed like ''sup?' Damn I really love Grovyle.

Meowth explains what Mew did to the tree and Kidd surmises that the mystery of Mew's connection with it is that the two are symbiotic; they rely on each other to survive.....That...what? How did you come to that conclusion? All Mew did was tell the tree that the kids weren't 'germs', causing it to expel them. The oasis might be helping Mew survive, though FirstMovie!Mew had no trouble wandering around undetected and safe, but how is Mew really helping the tree survive? I don't think keeping the kids would've damaged it, and surely there has to be some way the tree tells between threats and non-threats, like the human body can. Also, that doesn't explain why this particular Mew has these strange tree powers in the first place.

Mew suddenly falls ill and the tree starts to become seemingly 'infected' and extremely hot. Wait, so does that mean Mew and the tree are essentially one in the same? Does that mean Ash and everyone else has been wandering around Mew's body for half the movie?

Banks tells Kidd that the tree is going into shock due to the sudden expulsion of energy on its immune system. If something isn't done soon, the tree of beginnings will collapse, as well as the kingdom surrounding it due to the various crystals from the tree covering the land. Since Mew and the tree are one in the same, this also means that Mew will not survive if the tree collapses.

The sickly Mew directs Ash and Kidd through the tunnels and into the heart of the tree of beginnings where Lucario finds Sir Aaron trapped in the crystals.

Curious as to why Sir Aaron is there, Ash conveniently finds a time flower right in the room which shows them exactly what happened with Sir Aaron all those years ago. In an effort to save the kingdom, Sir Aaron calls upon Mew in the heart of the tree of beginnings and offers his aura to Mew since they're one in the same, making the tree thrive and somehow quelling the hearts of those in the war. I don't quite get it as there was nothing wrong with the tree, but okay. Since his aura is essentially his life force, Sir Aaron had to sacrifice his life for the kingdom, making him a true hero afterall.

Lucario kneels before his fallen friend, deeply regretting that he had ever doubted him. While this should be a very emotional scene, Lucario's VA does a ****-poor job at conveying the emotion. Especially when he goes 'Ughhuh' when he bows his head in grief and shame.

Mew tells Lucario that he can help revitalize the tree with the power of his own aura, but Kidd warns him that doing such a thing will put Lucario in the same situation Sir Aaron is; in a state of suspended animation. While Sir Aaron's body is indeed encased in crystal and perfectly preserved....he died. Just say Lucario will die if he does this.

Lucario tries to transfer his aura into Mew, but finds he's not strong enough to do it. Ash, realizing he'd have to do what we all knew he'd do since they said his aura is like Sir Aaron's, dons Sir Aaron's gloves....that he took off and neatly placed on the crystal he's trapped in (*shrug.gif*) because they're.....magic I guess? (*shrug.gif*) and begins transferring his aura to Mew because he just knows how to do that all of a sudden without any training or instruction. Again, he's not Sir Aaron's reincarnation; he just has an aura like Sir Aaron's. Even if he was a reincarnation, like, say, Kagome was to Kikyo in Inuyasha, you usually still have to condition such powers in order to properly use them.

Kidd: “No. It's too dangerous! You'll end up destroying yourself!” Yeah, Ash, you might end up in the Shadow Realm!

So Lucario and Ash combine their auras into Mew and at the last second, Lucario knocks Ash away, cutting off his aura contribution, leaving Lucario to sacrifice only himself.

Lucario: “The aura is with me!”

May the aura be with you....always.

The transfer completes and after a beautiful light show, the tree of beginnings restores back to its rightful glory. Jessie and James reunite with Meowth in a legit happy moment for the three of them, not interrupted by a dumb insult or joke, thank god. Though I do have to point out that Jessie was the only one who didn't release her Pokemon before she was absorbed. Granted, she didn't know what the goo was doing to her, but still.

Everything's all fine and dandy now with Mew, and Banks congratulates Kidd on her findings, claiming it will be a media sensation. However, Kidd asks that they keep this whole thing between them to avoid tourism. Uh, they have a big festival where a bunch of tourists come together every year to honor the legend that includes the tree and you can easily see the tree as well as the copious amounts of giant crystals everywhere from the palace. How this place is not a tourist attraction is beyond me. How this place is not being investigated by scientists is beyond me. A lot of things about this are beyond me, but okay.

As Lucario starts to di—err, destroy himself, wow that sounds so much worse in this context, he activates the same time flower to see Sir Aaron's final moments. While they do show him taking off his gloves, I still don't understand why...They see Sir Aaron apologizing to Lucario for sealing him away, stating that he had to do it in order to protect him since he knew he'd follow him and sacrifice himself as well. Sir Aaron gives a rather touching final speech as his time twindles down, telling Lucario that he was his closest friend and maybe they'll see each other again some day. Lucario wants nothing more than to speak to Sir Aaron one last time, but the vision fades with Sir Aaron's life.

Lucario also starts to fade away, despite Ash's pleas to hold on. He holds no regrets and knows that his place is back at Sir Aaron's side. Lucario fades away and the auras of both Sir Aaron and Lucario meld into the tree of beginnings, causing it to shine yet again.

I don't know why Sir Aaron's body was placed in suspended animation while Lucario's sacrifice caused his body as well as Sir Aaron's to turn into aura light and meld with the tree, but okay.

I find it horribly tragic and a bit ironic that Sir Aaron went through all of that trouble to save Lucario from his fate and a mere two days after he's released from the staff, Lucario suffers basically an identical fate.

Ash reunites with his friends and shares the sad news of Lucario's passing, but his fate is not held in grief as Ash proudly proclaims that 'its' aura is with him. May referred to him as an 'it' too. Lucario very clearly has a male voice, guys. I know Mewtwo has a spontaneous sex change in a few years, but Lucario was a guy.

Our credits play, showing Ash and the others returning to the palace. We see that, somehow, the painting of Sir Aaron has been altered to include Lucario. Either Ilene has a friggin' quick painter on hand and wanted Lucario in that painting for some reason, or that was magically changed to include Lucario. In which case, that's a little dose of BS. A nice touch, but BS...Oddly enough, they show a closeup of Ash as he talks with no sound coming out. I thought 4Kids was paranoid of that...or not....do they ever make up their minds?

They say goodbye to Kidd, Mew has found a friend in Bonsly, the Pokemon who had absolutely no role until that little shot, Mew also kept Sir Aaron's gloves in its stolen toy pile, we see the also unexplained Regis (were they guardians of the tree or parts of its immune system or what?) some more random shots of Kidd and Ash and co. just doing random stuff, then we cut to Lucario and Sir Aaron in...the past? Or a heaven version of the past? If they went into the tree, they can't be in heaven, right? Or is the tree creating a heavenly experience for them? Anyway, Sir Aaron eats a chocolate bar....I have no qualms believing there's chocolate in tree heaven.

And the group continues on their journey.

Throughout the credits, we get the song 'We Will Meet Again'. It's a pretty decent little song with instrumentals that sound very similar to the BG soundtrack and a singer who sounds like a higher pitched Vic Mignogna.

The end!

==================================

So that's Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and I have to say that it's definitely the best made and most well-written of all the movies so far, and I'd definitely put it side-by-side in my top favorite Pokemon movies list as number one.

The art was amazing, the animation was fantastic, the story, while having some problems, mostly in how aura and the tree of beginnings as well as Mew work, was very well-written and emotionally impacting, the flow was great, the characters were mostly good, the music was outstanding and very fitting for the theme, and there were many more little details that I enjoyed than there were little things that irked me.

Even Team Rocket's role, while not being at all useful, didn't bother me. Brock, May and Max also got really nothing at all to do, but I wasn't that bothered by it this time around, plus their absorption scenes gave them a tiny bit of spotlight.

The tone was just right, and I actually didn't mind that the main Pokemon focus this time wasn't even a legendary. This story really is Lucario and Sir Aaron's even if Ash and Pikachu take the spotlight a few times. Mew is a part of the story, but could've mostly been removed without much trouble. Sir Aaron and Lucario could've just transferred their auras directly into the tree, though I guess having a living being personify its pain and vitality is a bit beneficial to the emotional impact of the story. The Regis were also relegated to basically being bodyguards (...literally?) for the tree, and they weren't even really acknowledged as legendaries.

I'm perfectly fine with the way this is because it really seems like this was one of those times where the writers had a legit story they wanted to tell and didn't feel like writing a movie plot around a new legendary that they were contractually obligated to make the star of the movie. Hell, Mew is an OLD legendary at that. The Regis are new, but like I said they're not given legendary focus, they're just powerful.

I also like how this movie didn't have a big baddie. There was conflict to be resolved in Lucario and Sir Aaron, Lucario and Ash, Ash finding Pikachu, traversing through the tree of beginnings and saving the tree as well as Mew from utter destruction. There was no big baddie to beat; no big threat come about by some evil person; just perils that our heroes have to survive. That's a pretty big breath of fresh air in this series.

It's also very appreciated that they didn't go down the terrible route of somehow just freeing Sir Aaron from the crystal and having him and Lucario live happily ever after or somehow talking to his ghost. They have Sir Aaron stay dead and Lucario follow, as it truly should be.

In addition, it was a relief that they didn't go too far with Ash's Sir Aaron aura stuff. Yeah, it allowed him to easily manipulate it at the end (with the help of magic gloves? I still don't get that) but it didn't give him some super mega deus ex machina power to make him this fantastic hero at the end. He's about as powerful as Lucario with no real example of true power outside of transferring it.

I do have to ask why Sir Aaron acted like he was betraying Lucario and the kingdom, though. Why not tell Lucario what he was doing but seal him away anyway? Lucario still wouldn't have been able to escape and he wouldn't leave the staff thinking so badly of Sir Aaron. Why say that stuff about not being allied with the Queen or kingdom anymore? Sacrificing your life to save the kingdom is about as loyal as you get. Plus, if Lucario really did believe that Sir Aaron was a traitor, how does he make any logic out of who or what stopped the fighting back then?

I can definitely see why so many people love this movie. It's almost hard to believe that they managed to find their way back to such quality after so many instances of blah to crap.

I also find it to be a fitting send off for 4Kids. Yes, this is the last Pokemon movie (and maybe the last Pokemon thing? It's difficult to confirm) that 4Kids dubbed before handing over the reigns to PUSA. Instead of being bitter buttmonkeys and making a terrible dub, they decided to actually make one of their best dubs, if not their best dub, ever. While some emotional scenes get lost in their impact due to lackluster voice acting (though I must admit, Jason Griffith did a fantastic job as Sir Aaron), and there's the whole 'can't say 'die'' BS, everything is incredibly well-done. Though I can imagine that, since changes and edits cost 4Kids time and money and they likely didn’t have much to spend at that point, they probably just didn't want to bother making too many changes either way.

Next is, obviously, PUSA's first venture into the Pokemon movies with Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea. I honestly know about nothing about this movie, but apparently it's a ridiculous piece of schlock. Great.

I do have to say it's been quite a long time since I've bothered lending my ear to the PUSA dub.....I guess a small peak at a random early scene can't hurt.

*one mistake later*

OH GOD! MAX, WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOUR VOICE? It sounds like someone fed you helium and then pinched your nose and told you to read your lines!

Recommended Audience: The death scenes are a bit heavy for younger audiences, but it's definitely not on the same childhood scarring level as Mufasa or Bambi's mom. E for everyone!

Final note: Here's something to ponder; Kidd is responsible for Lucario's death and nearly destroying the tree of beginnings. If she had just asked Ilene about seeing Mew or properly instructed her Weavile, Mew never would've kidnapped Meowth and Pikachu and Ash and the others never would've gone to the tree at all. It could be argued that without her interference Lucario never would've found out the truth about or reunited with Sir Aaron, but I can imagine Lucario would've investigated on his own either way.

Also, Kidd never seems to admit to Ash and the others that her Pokemon attacked them and caused Mew to run off with Meowth and Pikachu. If she had, I can imagine Ash would be a little pissed at her.  Pretty good character; kinda slimy with her methods and honesty.

Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 05:15:32 pm »

I've actually seen this one during the Pokemon anniversary event on Twitch, where the official Pokemon channel streamed ALL the movies. It's probably one of the best Pokemon movies I've seen.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum