Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 05:41:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Niente è vero. Tutto è permesso.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

DT'S Sub Dub Comparisons - Sailor Moon Season 1

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT'S Sub Dub Comparisons - Sailor Moon Season 1  (Read 741 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »

Then my plan has worked!
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 11:49:02 pm »

Rub a dub?
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 05:41:51 pm »

Sailor Moon Sub Dub Comparison Episode 7 (4 for the dub)

Episode Summary:

Key Characters:
None are introduced in this episode but Ami's coming up next! Yay!

Plot: The town has been taken over by star fever. Usagi and her friends all want to be stars just like their idol, Mikan. However, Jadeite sees this as his perfect opportunity to use these star-struck people for their energy. He concocts a plan to turn everyone into the stars they've always dreamed about while stealing their energy. Can Sailor Moon dash everyone's hopes and dreams to save the day?

The Japanese text on the pink sidebar on the poster in the beginning is removed (Even though the Japanese text next to it isn't....weird.) This is made even weirder since the text magically reappears as Naru/Molly runs by. After Molly runs by, the text turns to English words that I can't make out. Confusing? Yeah.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Also, despite occurring in the same scene, they have one of the dub's transitions after Molly hits Serena only to show Molly running off after the transition.

The text is again removed when Umino is showing off the same poster. In fact, they zoom in on the shot (it was further away so it showed both the poster and Umino in the original) so that they can reuse the edited shot from before.

The story about Umino's poster is somewhat changed in the dub. In the original, he states he just ordered a bunch of the same poster from the Internet. In the dub, he says he won only one copy through a contest in the Saffron fanclub that he joined.

Name change: Mika/Mikan (I don't know for sure, I can't quite tell.) is changed to Saffron.

In the original, Umino states that she's been in eight commercials and is only 17. He also states that her annual income is 2 Million yen. In the dub, the other information isn't given and we're told she actually makes 5 million US dollars a year. Seeing as how 2 mil yen is roughly 19-20k US dollars, I'd say DiC rounded up and up and up and up and up....Unless those figures were drastically different in the 90's which is completely possible, but my way's funnier.

Usagi says she wonders how many shortcakes she could buy with that money. Serena wonders if Saffron needs an assistant.

The girls then discuss that Mikan (I'm calling her Mikan) was discovered by a talent scout as she simply walked down the street one day. Then they badmouth the scouts for not seeing and discovering them for all of their talent. In the dub, they just talk about what they'd do if they had a slightly larger salary than that of a minimum wage lackey at McDonalds—I mean the 5 Million dollars.

After, Umino states that the scouts are doing their jobs because Mikan was found and they weren't so the girls get mad at him. In the dub, he just says “In my opinion, one of you has the potential to be a real star” so the girls get mad at him and ask him to spit it out.

They cut out a shot of a big banner on the TV station where Mikan's signing autographs supposedly because the entire banner's in Japanese, but the sign on the front of the building is in big ol' Japanese characters so sense made=zero.

Visuals:

They edit out a shot of Jadeite putting his hands in his pockets and walking away from the autograph signing. They also edit in a scene of Queen Beryl just doing the typical villain schtick (Use the energy to take over the world Muahahaha) after that.

In the original, Naru says that they sing to storm the entertainment industry. Usagi believes this to be storming them like attacking, so she gets a tennis racket. In the dub, they change this to Serena suggesting that they be tennis stars instead of singers. I don't get why this was changed. It's an easily translatable joke......though it is a stupid joke.

Right before Naru and Usagi sing, Luna thinks to herself that Usagi knows that they don't have time for this. In the dub, Luna thinks to herself “Don't tell me she's going to sing.”

Oh god this next one's painful. As Molly turns on the radio in the dub, it's PAINFULLY obvious that they added in awful music notes animated onto the foreground. I guess this was to ensure the audience that indeed music was playing. Saved by the Bell had better graphics....

Visuals:

There's also a crescent moon symbol in with the music notes...

It should also be noted, oddly, that the song being played on the original is the Sailor Moon Theme song instrumental. The dub is some god awful remix of the Sailor Moon theme song done with a xylophone and the beat track from an old keyboard I think. In the original, the girls make up the lyrics. In the dub we have a weird meta moment as they sing the ACTUAL Sailor Moon theme song......So what is this? I'm assuming Sailor Moon is somewhat known in Japan by this point, but she's got a theme song already?!? WHAT?! Sailor Venus doesn't even have her own theme song and she's been known way longer in Japan. She, oddly enough, has her own licensed video game out (which makes little sense. How does someone own the rights to that if no one knows who Sailor Venus is? They're using her image without her consent. How did that even get made so quickly? How long as she been Sailor V and how long has she been Sailor V with that much popularity?)

BTW, I give Luna a pass for changing her inner monologue because Serena's VA singing? No thank you.

As Naru and Usagi are fighting, Luna just stares. In the dub, Luna thinks “And they say catfights are bad!” You know like catfights by comparison...actual cats....Yeah, I think they were going for a pun and failed.

They replace a shot of Usagi's bunny door sign that says “Don't come in” with another shot of the boombox. Also, there's no poorly made music notes coming from the speakers so I am currently trying to figure out if there is indeed music being played. I'm running various tests right now and should have results by 2017.

Visuals:

In the original, Naru coaxes Umino into crossdressing to pair with her as a singing duo (Because males can't sing with females I guess) by saying that Usagi would like him if he got real-world experience or some weird explanation like that. In the dub, she coaxes him into it by saying he'll be world-famous. Also, instead of gushing about Usagi, he gushes about being famous and even starts reciting a speech he made to accept an award.

They edit out the shot of Mikan's flowers presumably because there's Japanese writing on the wrapping.

They make the scene where the monster changes into Mikan/Saffron even more sinister by adding MORE SHADOWS AROUND HER FACE! AHHHH!! God, DiC, put a warning on your show before you make edits like that. Children watch this show for God's sake.

So there's this big-ass giant banner behind Monster-Mikan as she makes her speech. DiC, surprisingly left it alone. I guess because they couldn't viably edit around it and painting over the text would cost too much money.

I guess I should mention at this point that Cinderella is a common theme in this episode. Everyone wants to be the next Cinderella, same with Naru and Usagi. In fact this contest or whatever that Monster-Mikan's holding is called the Cinderella Caravan. In the dub, there's no mention of this. Just fame and being like Saffron. I dunno why; Cinderella's a common American story too.

Now there's an untranslatable pun in the scene with the talent show. The comedy duo at the beginning make a joke about asking for two loaves of bread at the bakery, but they gave her strawberry patterned panties instead that she holds up. In Japan, the word for bread is pan and panties are pantsu. When she asked for two loaves of bread (pan) they gave her pantsu because two pan. Yeah, it's awful even in Japanese, but the dub is even worse.

In the dub, the joke is why do elephants wear green sneakers? So that they can sneak around in the grass. Not only does that make no sense, it's not funny in the least. Though, I guess that is the point; that a bunch of untalented people keep winning the contest. Also, they edit out where one of the girls holds up said panties and just repeat the footage to make her talk longer. However, since she moves her eyebrows when she does this, it makes the footage jump several times.

PANTIES:

Oddly enough, they don't edit out the Japanese on the hand stamp. The symbol means “pass” in Japanese. Though maybe they thought no one would realize it's Japanese.

Another untranslatable pun emerges in the classroom. One of the girls asks, what do you get if you take away a vultures (Hagetaka) feathers (ge) You get Hadaka, which means naked.  In the dub, the girls just say they'll do knock-knock jokes now, but don't actually say one. Guess the writers were lazy.

They edit out the shots of Naru's autographs because Japanese.

In the original, Usagi, shockingly enough, says that they have to start class soon, but the other kids say that they don't have time for class since the entertainment industry requires so much work....well, if that's the case why did they even show up at school at all? In the dub, she just asks Naru if she won the contest and the other girls just said they basically all did and that fame's gone to Molly's head.

After the other kids threw the streamers, one hits Umino in the face and Umino tells the other kids that it would be bad if a star's face got damaged and then Usagi thinks to herself that something is wrong. The dub cuts out to transition right before and I mean RIGHT BEFORE the impact of the streamer. The footage just stops and we get the transition. It's so awkward.

They also cut out a shot of Umino and Naru singing. Also, Umino's no longer dressed in drag so I guess he can dress normally now that the contest is over? What the friggety hell was the point in all that!?

They also cut out the singing in the background entirely, but they keep in the shot of the end of the show....what the hell were they watching in the dub? Just Molly and Melvin standing on stage doing nothing?

They edit out where even more people appear on stage with Naru and Umino. I dunno.

Front of the Shan Shan Plaza is covered in Japanese text so they edit out the shot of it.
When we see shots of Umino, Naru and those two terrible joke girls as well as the cop, we're supposed to see that the stamps they got on their hands are glowing I guess to show that their energy is ripe for the taking. Edited out in the dub....they kept the stamps but got rid of the glowing.....I do not understand....Oh and Umino's crossdressing again....I really don't get it. There are plenty of guys there. WHY DID HE NEED TO CROSSDRESS!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

A front shot of Jadeite receiving the energy that has been shown tons of times and is recycled footage was edited out of the dub for some reason.

I guess at this point I should also mention that the subbed version has now started singing the actual Sailor Moon theme song too so I'm doubly confused.

Get a load of those bathroom signs....High heels for the ladies and top hat for the men. How sexist. Now I can't wear a top hat without being a crossdresser. My Thursdays are completely ruined now!

Visuals:

Couple questions about the ending....A discoball shatters above your head and that didn't at least give you several cuts? So, Mikan was just laying in a tub, naked, for the past few days?

Also, in the original as everyone's snapping out of it, one of the joke girls asks the other when did they start speaking in a kansai dialect. (I don't know much about dialects in Japan to be honest, but I'm guessing this accent was put on to sound more like a comedian or entertainer or something?) In the dub they just say that they never want to hear another knock-knock joke again even though they never said one to begin with at least that we heard so the joke is lost.

I never noticed this before, maybe because it's never happened, I'm not sure, but when the pink looney-tunes-esque circle closer comes up, it's pure pink in the original. In the dub, they add poorly animated crescent moons and stars to it.

HEY! WTF! In the Sailor Says segment they leave in the shot of Umino getting hit by the streamer! There is no such thing as consistency!
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:40:59 am »

Did you know? Mikan means orange. So the name Saffron makes some sense.

Usually when a translator translates a work, s/he looks at the context of what s/he is translating, and then turns it in such a way that it is culturally relevant to their own country, or in the very least, understandable in their language. Jokes tend to be lost in translation because of double entendres and/or context only relevant in their own culture, so translators have to work around it by introducing a joke from their own culture that is hopefully as close to the original as possible, otherwise people won't be able to see the humor. Of course, now that the world is much more globalized, people don't edit shows to make them culturally relevant to their own country anymore (like how translators turned Phoenix Wright from a Japan-heavy story to an American-heavy story. They really did shoot themselves in the foot there when the later games started introducing Shinto-ism/Japan folklore-related cases), but jokes still tend to get altered for people to understand the context.

Anyway, that's not really relevant for your post, but it's just an interesting trivia. Those translators in Sailor Moon really screwed up about the Knock Knock joke bit.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum