Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 12:46:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "My mind is complicated, like a puzzle....I just happen to be missing a few pieces."~DT

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Next-Gen Consoles

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next-Gen Consoles  (Read 1051 times)
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:46:12 pm »

So, I'm still debating whether there is any point in purchasing a next-gen console. My Wii is busted, so the Wii U is a dud. And all I've heard is some BS about how the Xbox One (dumb name) is going to be far more general. Since I want a GAMING console, and not one which gives up the ghost if it doesn't connect to the internet for 48 hours, I'm not that impressed with the new glossy features.
"Oooo - my Xbox will be able to recommend titles for me because it's intelligent." You mean like how Xbox Live already does?
"Oooo - my Xbox will listen to my voice and react accordingly." Great, so if I confirm that I'll switch my Xbox off in an hour once I finish doing x, all of a sudden it's heard "Xbox off" and will switch off.

I haven't heard anything at all about the PS4 yet, but hopefully some specs will be released soon. Thing is, I'm debating over whether it would be worth even getting next-gen or simply purchasing an up-to-date laptop so I can game on that.

What are your guys thoughts on the next-gen?
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:13 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:40:21 pm »

I'd offer my views on the matter, but CM already covered pretty much every point I was going to discuss.
Report Spam   Logged
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »

The Xbox One (worst choice of name they could've gone with) is, unless redeemed adequately through E3 or changes, doomed from the start line. What you've listed is the tip of the iceberg. I may pick up a 360 in the future (MAY), but I will never bring myself to so much as touch the Xbone.

Also, CM with wise imagery.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:02 pm »

Ignoring Terak and CM, I'll give you some information on the PS4, which I will be getting not any time soon, but in due time (when the price drops). My PS3 is still healthy and kicking, so I see no reason to switch this soon.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/22/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-specs/

Basically, the PS4 is superior in terms of specs compared to the XBone (That's what everyone's calling it to avoid confusion with the original Xbox), but it is unlikely that you will see any superiority when you play the launch games, since launch games do not usually utilize the full power of the consoles. There has been A LOT of bad press regarding the XBone, and they are all very well-founded, but it is always prudent to wait till E3 before making a decision (although XBone seems like the clear loser now, and I have never been a supporter of the Xbox), because that is when the games for both consoles will be released. In any case, it's not the games that will be putting me off XBone, but its policies and DRMs in-place that did. Many gamers have already been disgusted by those, and fortunately, PS4 will not have any DRMs (well, the game devs CAN put DRMs in place, but that will be the game devs' fault, not the PS4's).

Moving away from this topic, getting a high-end PC for gaming is also a good idea, since Steam makes games really cheap with all its event-related discounts and such, or you can just pirate the games. Another good thing about PC gaming is that you can mod the games to your liking. However, this also means that you will miss out on console exclusives that you may have wanted to play really badly. Furthermore, games on the PC are not always optimized for your computer, whereas games on consoles usually are, which means that you will have to do some extra legwork when you play PC games.

Well, these are my two cents on the topic.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:28:17 pm »

I don't have much say in this matter since I haven't been able to afford a new console since I got a PS2 for Christmas, but I thought the new Xbox was supposed to be called the Xbox 720. Also, the Wii U, like someone on Youtube stated, sounds like a siren WEEYUUWEEYUUWEEYUU.
Report Spam   Logged

Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:57:28 pm »

So far for me PS4 seems to have my purchase, with all the exclusives I enjoyed on PS3 and what not. Plus, I have a vita and there seemed to be some connectivity between the two.

The Wii U.... well so far only the backwards compatibility is what's appealing to me but, it'd be nice to already have a Wii U for whenever their games that I'm interested start rolling out.

Xbone.... well the whole reveal was just not aimed at me. All I took from it is what Ciel and EHW said and the fact that there will be a camera... online... the whole time.... kinda creepy to me. Also, I don't always have wifi and lend games a lot so those two things killed it for me right now. As with Tyren, I may pick up a 360 sometime after a price drop to try out the few exclusives I was interested in this gen.

A gaming pc is something I've been wanting for quite a while, so whenever I can I plan on building one and taking advantage of all the sales. My laptop starts heating up after a couple games, or minutes of playing small games so far.

I don't have much say in this matter since I haven't been able to afford a new console since I got a PS2 for Christmas, but I thought the new Xbox was supposed to be called the Xbox 720. Also, the Wii U, like someone on Youtube stated, sounds like a siren WEEYUUWEEYUUWEEYUU.
Wait, someone else has said this? I have been saying this since the name was announced and never heard anyone else bring it up... About damn time.

So, I'm still debating whether there is any point in purchasing a next-gen console. My Wii is busted, so the Wii U is a dud.
Wait, what do you mean your Wii is busted so the Wii U is a dud?

Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 01:15:47 am »

Xbone.... well the whole reveal was just not aimed at me. All I took from it is what Ciel and EHW said and the fact that there will be a camera... online... the whole time.... kinda creepy to me. Also, I don't always have wifi and lend games a lot so those two things killed it for me right now. As with Tyren, I may pick up a 360 sometime after a price drop to try out the few exclusives I was interested in this gen.

A gaming pc is something I've been wanting for quite a while, so whenever I can I plan on building one and taking advantage of all the sales. My laptop starts heating up after a couple games, or minutes of playing small games so far.

Wait, someone else has said this? I have been saying this since the name was announced and never heard anyone else bring it up... About damn time.

First off, yes, it's Xbox One. Secondly, how would you like to trade off your privacy at home completely with an Xbox One?
Report Spam   Logged

Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:59:07 am »

First off, yes, it's Xbox One. Secondly, how would you like to trade off your privacy at home completely with an Xbox One?
what?
Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:57 am »

Uh, it's a rhetorical statement. I'm just saying that because XBone is always on, the Kinect is always watching AND listening to you. It's a serious privacy concern right there.
Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:24 am »

Uh, it's a rhetorical statement. I'm just saying that because XBone is always on, the Kinect is always watching AND listening to you. It's a serious privacy concern right there.
No kidding. The exploitation that feature is subject to is amazingly, astonishingly, and horrifically high. I don't know many a gamer who would want that. At least with the original Kinect, it came late into the gen's market and is entirely optional. Good concept, too, though it had a rocky start from what I understood.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:42 am »

Who the hell would want that? I mean, I'd imagine there's a way to disable it, but why would that be the default? Friggin' creepy and borderline invasion of privacy. Though I guess since you agreed to have it, and it's probably in the terms of service somewhere, that a charge of invasion of privacy wouldn't hold much water.
Report Spam   Logged

Weirdo
Elite

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search Apple User
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:30 pm »

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Microsoft have already patented using the mic/camera on the kinect to gather information about you so they can target adverts more directly. Whether or not that's actually true it's still something that could be done...

But yeah I don't really care about any of them because for like the past year I've only really been gaming on the PC (other than the occasional replay of a PS2 game) because it's just so much cheaper and so many more of the games (especially indie games which are even cheaper) are so much more inventive and creative.
Report Spam   Logged

Shameless self promotion : Any Last Words
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »

Admittedly, I picked up a new 360 for Yule 2012, because mine had given up the ghost entirely. The fan on it is sputtering, and the disc drive is hardly responsive, unable to pick up a disc nine times out of ten. It was however, a shared gift and pretty cheap - it + new release Halo 4 was only about £160. Considering the console I got was the 250GB version in new stylish black, and the game itself was on release at least £40-45, it wasn't expensive for three people. So I'm not looking for something ridiculously expensive, and this is more scouting for mid-2014 at earliest if I choose to go the console route - I hardly need a new one on release when chances are some titles will be spread across 7th and 8th Gen platforms.

Actually, from what I've heard (so it's quite possibly incorrect, but still), the Kinect on XBone will be a permanent feature that cannot be turned off. Which is why its ridiculously worrying - it's a permanent feature with no ability to disabled, and will be on in perpetuity. At least, in theory.

On the Wii U - I thought that the Wii U needed the Wii for use, hence it being the only console to be backwards-compatible. Turns out I was wrong, but I'm still not overly impressed with Nintendo's attempt for 8th Gen. Exclusives are the only things separating the consoles now, but when EA decides that they are unwilling to give something a similar amount of attention as the other contenders, something has to be seriously wrong. I don't trust EA to be anything but self-serving, but the money-grubbing mooks at EA still push their titles at all times.

I think part of the trouble I have is with how things look right now.
Nintendo played themselves into a corner last gen, and seem unwilling to leave it. They are the only company currently producing a console who don't go for the chronological system name, and therefore calling their new console the Wii U feels a bit dumb. It only carries negative connotations for me, and the same goes for a number of gamers. And I am a judgemental SOB, so I will take my opinions of the previous product forward with me.
Sony are constantly upping the ante, but poor online gaming support broke their base essentially last gen in the UK, which while not a mandatory thing is definitely something I consider now that gaming is more universal than ever. Other than that though, I freely admit that it'll be a case of whether the improvement is worth the costs - the PS3 was ridiculously expensive against the 360 in the UK, but I heard that elsewhere that it wasn't so clear cut.
Microsoft had last gen in the bag, but now for some reason are trying to market gaming to families. Gaming isn't about families - they aren't going to be generating a lion's share of the profits. Gaming should be focused on gamers, the ones who will spend their months wages on new titles purely because they want to play them as soon as they are released.
And computer gaming robs me of a good deal many of exclusives, and is the most costly overall. PC games are cheaper, but needing to upgrade my system on a much shorter timeframe will inevitably cost me more money than a straight-up one payment for a console.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.
Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying anything next-gen. Then this happened.

Congratulations, Nintendo: you've done it. You've found my weak spot.

Now take my money.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum