Aisenfield
March 28, 2024, 12:41:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus. Goo goo g'joob.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

DT's Sub Dub Comparisons - CardCaptor Sakura

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT's Sub Dub Comparisons - CardCaptor Sakura  (Read 3680 times)
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:29 am »

She never really uses Jump any more after she got Fly, really. Even in the second season.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 09:51:39 am »

I'm up to episode 10 in CCS and so far I've seen her use it I believe once (maybe twice when Syaoran appears to jump on rooftops (even though she still could've used Fly...)) outside of the episode it premiers in. She used it to dodge her friend's attacks while she was being controlled by Sword......And also, it made the card look slightly dumb because she ends up falling into a bush because of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 04:26:09 am »

If I remember, her cards take on different forms in the second season? Like she actually gets wings instead of just wings on her stick.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:14:28 am »

Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 6 Sub Dub Comparison

Episode Summary:

Key Characters:
None are introduced in this episode.

Card(s):

Illusion
– Shows a person visions of basically what’s on their mind at the moment. I guess the illusion card is used to trick enemies into seeing something they desire and mesmerizing them.

Plot:
One of Sakura’s friends has had a run-in with a ghost. When Sakura and her friends go into the woods to see it for themselves, they all see the ghost as something different. What stands out most is when Sakura sees what she believes to be the ghost of her mother. Is it really a ghost or a clever clow card?

After the girl’s story of running through the woods, Sakura basically breaks the story by screaming. Her friends react to her screaming and tell her to calm down and she apologizes. In the dub, they flash straight from her story to the girls talking about it.

Surprisingly, Nelvana left in Sakura’s sweatdrop during their conversation, but they edit out her crying and whining that she hate scary stories and that she doesn’t want to go to the woods. Nelvana cuts straight from the back of her head to her smiling. The scene is also edited weird, because the girl with pigtails is so obviously talking to the girl with glasses when she’s supposedly talking to Sakura. I mean, how much clearer can you get when her face is three inches from hers and she’s staring right at her?

After the whistle is blown, Sakura walks off while crying that she doesn’t want to go and that she hates scary places. Tomoyo then walks by and asks Sakura what’s wrong. Sakura then runs into her arms while crying asking her to come with her and she agrees. This is all edited out.

As Sakura turns around when they’re standing at the cliff, she screams and the girls turn around. In the dub, they cut straight from Sakura turning around to seeing the light.

As the girls are listing off what they saw in the light, for the most part the scene is correctly translated until we get to Tomoyo. She says that she saw a giant nikuman. That is a Japanese dish that is like a dumpling filled with meat. Nelvana is apparently 4Kids long lost sibling because they changed this to hamburger. Also, Tomoyo’s statement was followed by a thought bubble with a nikuman in it. To combat this, Nelvana just repeated the scene where she was just talking over and over to fill time.  Give them credit for not putting some clip-art-esque hamburger onto the thought bubble instead…

Visuals:

Huh. I thought for sure that with all of the crap Nelvana edits out and changes that Sakura’s BATH scene would see the cutting room floor, but here it is. It’s not without changes though. Dialogue-wise, she says she can fight clow cards and not ghosts because she knows what a clow card is, but not a ghost. In the dub, she says she can sense clow cards, but ghosts can sneak up on her. To be clear, she can’t sense clow cards. Only Kero can. (Unless she can later, I don't remember) In addition, later on Toya says that she can sense spirits in the original, so none of this makes sense. She’s good at deducting when a card is appearing, but she can’t sense them. Actual edits-wise, they shorten the scene where she’s entering the bath. They also erase the sweatdrop from dream-giant-Kero’s head.

Right before Sakura picks up her mom’s picture, she makes a surprised face. Nelvana edits this out.

Name change: Sakura’s mom is named Nadeshiko. In the dub, this is changed to Natasha.

Right after Tomoyo says that the other group of girls saw the ghost, Sakura’s face takes up the whole screen as she cries and screams. Edited out.

During the next scene in the forest, Sakura makes a lot of faces, mostly crying and sad. All of these are edited out. There’s also a short scene removed where Sakura says she doesn’t know what she’ll do if it’s a ghost and not a clow card. Kero then falls out of the air and yells to her that they’ll never know until they go.

The scene where Sakura sees her mother in the light is emotionally ruined thanks to stupid music replacement…that and the dialogue and acting suck in that scene in the dub. But it’s almost always terrible so, yeah.

In the original, there are shots of Sakura waking up in a futon and a wide shot of the room in Yukito’s house. Since the bedding and décor are very much Japanese, this got edited out. Also, the very slight passing thought that Yukito might’ve changed Sakura’s clothes is left out. (His Grandma really changed her clothes)

Visuals:

Slightly after the scene where we see the women in sunglasses, Sakura imagines an angry Toya giving what I loving call a Kyo Sohma face. This is edited out due to those damn anime/cartoon-ish faces.

Visuals:

After Sakura gives the cup back to Yukito, he nudges her down and tells her to get more rest as she starts to get drowsy. Yukito then pats her head and Sakura explains that she believes the ghost in the woods is her mother. Her brother told her that there are reasons that ghosts appear and she wonders if and why her mother would be there. Yukito then asks if it really was her mother since it put her in danger. Then the scene slowly ends. All of this is edited out in the dub whether to reduce the amount of Yukito or because he was being too affectionate with her, who knows. Also remember this edit for later.

Visuals:

Somewhat minor, but when Sakura sniffs the flower she says that it smells good. In the dub, she sniffs the flower and says it’s pretty. Seeing with your nose!

Right before we cut back to the woods, we see another shot of her mother’s photo. Edited out.

Remember that scene they edited out with the long conversation Yukito and Sakura had about her mother? Remember that last line about asking if it was her mom, does she really believe that she would put her in danger and how that wasn’t present in the dub? Well, in the original, Sakura flashes back to that line as she’s falling again. In the dub, they leave this scene in. So basically we have a scene in the dub where’s she’s flashing back to a scene that never happened. Something that easily could’ve been avoided if they weren’t so edit happy.

The ending scene is slightly different. In the original, Sakura’s mostly crying because she’s happy her mother’s ghost isn’t wandering around because it’s sad or lonely and that she's in that beautiful place up in the sky. In the dub, she’s crying because she really wanted to see her, but is happy enough that she’s watching over her. I nearly cried at the subbed version. The dubbed version seriously sucks at capturing the emotion of anything and this episode was pathetic compared to the original…The music, dialogue, acting is bad enough, but when they try to do emotional episodes, it almost pisses me off.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:42 pm »

It's odd how the drawings are so much better in my head than the actual thing. Rose-tinted glasses.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:29 pm »

It may be better in season two. I know the movies look pretty good.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 08:07:40 am »

It's also probably because of the fan arts.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:35 am »

Cardcaptor Sakura Sub Dub Comparison Episode 7

Episode Summary:

Key Characters: Syao—Er, well. I’ll wait until next episode.

Card (s) of the Day: Silent – A card that absolutely hates noise, Silent has the ability to instantly silent anybody that is making noise. It can also remove them from the general area to ensure that the noise doesn’t return.

Plot: Sakura’s on a field trip to an art museum when she runs into a boy that is trying to alter one of the paintings that he states was defaced. When they find out that it’s really the work of the clow card, Silent, it’s up to Sakura, Kero and Tomoyo to capture the card and restore the painting back to its former glory.

Before we see Sakura drawing Kero, the dub adds in a shot of the exterior of her house. I guess because we wouldn’t have realized that they were at her house judging from the fact that they’re in her room. Yeah, I could’ve sworn her room was moved to that museum we were just in. SO CONFUSING. D:

They cut out Kero bragging about his long legs when he’s telling Sakura what’s wrong with her picture.

After the scene with Sakura drawing Kero, we’re shown Sakura eating dinner with her father and brother. She’s explaining to them that she was drawing upstairs because she’s going on a field trip to the art museum. Then Toya asks why she was being so rowdy upstairs if all she was doing was drawing and she says that she can’t draw properly unless she’s talking. Then Toya says that she better not act that way in the museum or else she’ll get kicked out. Her father reassures her that, though she should be on her best behavior, it’s unlikely that she’ll get kicked out for talking. This entire scene is cut for reasons beyond my understanding. I have a theory that Nelvana doesn’t like Sakura’s father, but I could be wrong. It just seems like a lot of his scenes end up on the cutting room floor.

Visuals:

After Sakura whispers to Tomoyo about it being quiet in there, she smiles embarrassingly and scoots away. This was edited out due to Sakura making an anime-face.

Visuals:

Before we see the drawing, Sakura has anime 'cat eyes' that are edited out.

Visuals:

Nelvana actually made an edit that makes sense for a change. They edited out the Japanese text that was on Kero’s edited picture and replaced it with English text that reads “What I REALLY look like.” Which is actually very accurate to what the original said.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Name Change:
The kid’s dad is named Tenkai Tachibana. In the dub, this is changed to Douglas Mills.

So we have a bittersweet moment of editing. The sign under the painting is edited clean of Japanese text and is replaced with another accurate translation, barring the name which was changed as I stated. However, about 30 seconds later, Sakura picks up a name label that was on the boy’s bag and fell off. It reads “2nd Grade, 2Nd Class, Yuuki Tachibana” In the dub, the scene where we see the tag is edited out. And they were doing so good too.
Visuals:

Subbed: 

Dubbed:

Name Tag:

When Sakura’s telling Tomoyo about the incident at the museum, she states that it could be the curse of a dead artist and makes a creepy goofy face. She then follows this up with a cartoonish crying face because that would scare her. This is edited out due to cartoon-y faces.

Visuals:

They edit out a short scene after they presume it’s a clow card where they realize that their class has left without them.

Well this is just confusing. In the original, the excuse that Sakura gives to Yukito as she’s leaving the house (Yes, they kept Yukito in a scene for a change. You may take a minute to change your pants since I’m sure they were dampened from surprise.) is that she’s going to look at the moon. Yukito then gives her a knowing look and then says to not forget about the tons of stars out there. In the dub, this is reversed. She says she wants to look at the stars and he says to not forget about the moon. I don’t even…

Despite leaving most of Yukito’s scene in, they edit out where Yukito leans down to talk to her and Sakura blushing because he’ll keep her leaving a secret. Because crushes and all that…

Visuals:

Huh, I probably should've picked a different line to get that screencap because that line makes Yukito look hella creepy.

They also paint away her blush in the next scene as she sighs.

As Sakura’s rollerblading away she keeps going back and forth with starstruck faces and depressed faces because she’s going back and forth between gushing over Yukito and thinking that he now believes that she’s a bad kid for sneaking out. All we see in the dub is one depressed face and Sakura believing that he thinks she’s a weirdo.

After Kero says that he doesn’t know what Silent’s other ability is, Sakura does one of those DOH falls. In the dub, they edit this out, making the scene look noticeably choppy.

Well, we go from disappointed in Nelvana to ashamed, they edit off the Japanese text (at least the stuff that is legible) from the security schedule for the museum. We don’t even get a close up of the paper, that’s completely pointless. Geez. Well, 4Kids would be proud.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Haha, Nelvana, you really think your audience is stupid don’t you? When Tomoyo sets her watch, there’s a noticeable delay before she hits the button that’s not present in the original. I bet $1000 that this was Nelvana’s attempt to lengthen the episode due to the amount of scenes that were cut. Something that wouldn’t have needed to be done if they just left it alone.

Another weird change; In the original when Kero’s trying to scare off the intruder, he says he’s the guardian angel of the museum. In the dub, he says he’s the god of protection for the museum. Huh. That’s the complete opposite of what 4Kids would’ve done.

When Sakura and Tomoyo are trying to explain themselves to the boy, Tomoyo mentions that they’re elegant thieves and would never tarnish the paintings. At the mention of thieves, Sakura makes a shocked face with dot eyes and says that they’re not thieves. This is edited out due to Sakura’s goofy face.

Nelvana, kindly stop screwing with me. Remember how that tag was edited out before? Well, after Sakura mentions the boy’s name to stop him from going, he asks how she knew that and then we see the shot of the exact same tag, edited of course. FFS, if you had no qualms in showing the tag, why did you edit it out in the first place?! The only reason I can think of is to save money on editing, but if you wanted to do THAT you would've left the tiny map text alone. Also, the tag only says “Alex.” It doesn’t mention his grade, class or his last name. Because only having a first name on it makes it so useful as a name tag. Also, why would the tag have been a clue at all if the last name wasn't included on it!? URHGHGHOASHDFOH2

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Name change: The little boy was originally named Yuuki Tachibana. In the dub, he’s Alex Mills.

Are you telling me that no one in the entire museum or even frequent visitors would’ve noticed that a painting was drastically different than it was before?

On their third attempt to confront Silent, Sakura holds up a sign that says “Quietly!” in Japanese, which Tomoyo follows that up with a sign that says “We don’t have much time.” Instead of leaving this in and editing the text, Nelvana completely removes this scene.

Visuals:

Minor nitpick, but Kero says Sakura’s leggings are knee-highs in the Kero’s Corner short in the dub when they’re clearly thigh-highs…..
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »

I wonder what's with their huge aversion to Japanese names. At least Sakura's name didn't get changed to Sally or Blossom something.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:22 pm »

I wonder what's with their huge aversion to Japanese names. At least Sakura's name didn't get changed to Sally or Blossom something.

Or if you prefer...

Forgive the crappy quality, I did them on a whim to make a lame joke. Tongue

But, yeah, I have no idea with the logic of that stuff. I'd say it's because the dubbers don't think kids will be able to pronounce certain Japanese names, but they still leave them in sometimes; and that just seems hypocritical because hardly anyone can pronounce Japanese names/words correctly in the dubs when they do use them, Nelvana and 4kids. Sakura's pronounced SaKURRah, sometimes SaKooRah and Syaoran's pronounced Show-ron and spelled that way too.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 11:36:15 pm »

Well, at least shows are okay with foreign names these days.

...Maybe liking them too much.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 01:25:54 pm »

Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 8 Sub Dub Comparison

Episode Summary:

Key Characters:

Syaoran Li/Lee Showron
– A boy who comes from a long line of Cardcaptors and may be related to the creator of the cards, Clow Reed, Li is initially seen as a jerk who believes that Sakura doesn't have the skill or knowledge to be a Cardcaptor. He's fairly cold towards her and wants nothing more than to take her cards and gather them himself. However, he eventually warms up to Sakura to the point of great friendship and by the end of the series, romance. Unlike Sakura who basically has a different outfit every episode, Li's Cardcaptor outfit stays the same throughout most of the series. His clothes are traditional robes that are family heirlooms.

Card(s) of the day:

Thunder – A dangerous card with the power of lightning, Thunder's main weakness is Shadow.

Plot: A new boy transfers into Sakura's school/class named Syaoran Li and he seems to have some vendetta against Sakura from the moment he lays eyes on her. When he reveals himself to be from a family that has a strong connection to the clow cards and demands the cards that she has in her possession, things get all the more complicated. The situation is made even worse when the Thunder card appears and Syaoran shows up during battle. Will Syaoran prove to be a problem or will he prove to be a useful ally?

Nitpick? The tower in Sakura's dream is Tokyo tower. In the dub, they just call it 'a tower'.

In the original, Kero tells Sakura that because she has magical powers now that the dream she's been having could be a foretelling dream and that she might meet the boy in Chinese clothes very soon. In the dub, Kero basically tells her that she needs to find the clow cards....in a very confusing way. I dunno what they were going for there.

A panning shot of the outside of the house is removed, but the actual shot of the house is kept.

Hey who wants another girly pop song? Me either, let's move on.

In the original, Toya tells Sakura that she was slow getting out of the house because she ate too much breakfast. In the dub, he says she's late because she spends all her time in her room talking to herself.

Two shots of Yukito are removed. One from so far away that you can barely see him and another shot of him under the tree.

Tori harps on Sakura talking to herself/her toys, unlike the sub which mocks her for making noises 'like a monster' while having a bad dream.

In the original, Yukito's foretelling dream was that he'd have roasted fish for breakfast, which he did, and was so amazed by it that he had six extra bowls of rice. That's too Japanese, so let's make it French toast!

Hey now, I believe we've had quite enough of Yukito in this episode. In the original, Tomoyo tells Sakura that she's in a good mood today and Sakura tells her it's because she spent the ride over to school with Yukito. In addition, he gave her another candy just like the one from the first episode. We then see a shot of him throwing the candy to her as he rides away. Then Tomoyo says that he always has food on him. In the dub, we have a completely pointless conversation talking about Madison's new digital camcorder and all the features on it. The candy, the flashback and any mention in the slightest of Julian is no more.

A shot of the teacher catching a glance to Rika, one of Sakura's friends, and then coughing as she smiles at him is cut out.

Name...change/mispronunciation?
Syaoran Li is changed to Li/Lee Showron. I had to look it up to see if they were just outright mispronouncing it or if they actually changed it and that is the correct spelling for the dub; Showron. I admit, his name is one of the harder names I've had to learn in anime, at least from spelling, but it's not that hard Nelvana. Sh-OW (Like ow, stop punching me in the face, I'm sorry for dubbing this show)- rahn (Like, he rahn away from me once he realized that I had a lead pipe.)

Well, this is just a dumb paint edit. In the original, the teacher writes Syaoran's name on the chalkboard.  Nelvana digitally paints this away, but it's incredibly obvious that the teacher was just writing something on the board. Is it invisible chalk, Nelvana, or did you forget how to write?

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

A scene of the middle of class with Sakura trembling in worry from Syaoran is edited out.

A scene where Syaoran stops Sakura in the stairway to bring her outside to talk to her is edited out, which makes the sudden jarring transition to them talking in private...sudden and jarring.

The chant to use the Chinese compass is too long to explain exactly what was changed, but it was changed somewhat. Much in the same way Sakura's chants get changed. Also, they removed all of the glowing Chinese text from the scene which makes it dunanana SUPER BORING. Also, I'm gonna say this is a moment where they're kinda missing the forest for the trees. That compass could not be more covered in Chinese markings, yet they HAD to paint away the glowing Chinese symbols from this scene.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

In the original, Sakura tells Syaoran that Kero doesn't have the power to become his true form anymore. Syaoran tells her that Keroberos uses the symbol for 'sun' in his name, meaning that the powers of Fire and Earth will restore his abilities. However, Sakura tells him that she doesn't have those.

Later, she explains that she's been collecting the cards since April and he mocks her for not having collected them all yet....To be honest, he has a point. She's not so much 'looking' for clow cards so much as dealing with them when they appear.

Toya originally states that the stance Syaoran's taking is one he's unfamiliar with. Then he theorizes that it's a form of Chinese Martial arts. In the dub, he just threatens Li.

Originally, Yuki mentioned he had Nikuman (That stuff I mentioned before) as well as pizza bread and curry bread. In the dub, there's no mention of what the food is. They show shots of it, though, so I guess kids are just supposed to think they're bread or something.

They cut out a shot of a blush appearing on Syaoran's face before he runs off.

A scene of Sakura with a cartoony confused face wondering wtf just happened is also edited out.

Semi-long scene time; in the original, Rika parts ways with Tomoyo and Sakura, then Sakura points out that her house isn't in that direction. Tomoyo says Rika's off to buy a gift for someone that she likes and apparently this guy is older than her. She then tells Sakura that she should take that kind of initiative with her crush.

This is edited out because yet another instance of a girl having a crush on an older guy. I realize this is 'worse' seeing as how the guy in question is her teacher and has to be like at least mid-20's early 30's instead of Yukito's likely 15-16 years old, but it can't be uncommon. I can't say I've been in that situation myself. 99% of my teachers were female and the only two male teachers I had were not exactly crush worthy, but I imagine it happens all the time. Also, isn't a fairly common sitcom plotline where the young boys have a crush on their super hot substitute teacher or something? Unless the teacher felt the same way, in which case edit away, Nelvana!

In the original, Sakura says she's tried to call Kero to talk about Li as he's usually in a good mood when he first gets up, but he's probably asleep. He won't answer the phone and he's known to not wake up for anything until he's ready to wake up. In the dub, they make a joke out of this. They have Sakura say that Kero's probably planning their next move now, but then we cut to him sleeping by the phone.

In the original, Kero states that Syaoran Li is likely a member of the Li clan, which is stemmed from the creator of the clow cards, Clow Reed. He was born of a Chinese mother and British father, thus the clow cards are somewhat of a mix between western and eastern magics. This is apparent in the fact that the magic circles on the cards contain both English and Chinese characters. (This bit is shown when the clow circle is shown behind Sakura.) Reed's mother was part of the Li clan, so, in a way, Syaoran's probably a very distant relative of Clow Reed.

In the dub, Kero basically repeats some dumb episode-exclusive catchphrase “Expect the unexpected” and says to forget about silly schoolyard rumbles and that the real thing to focus on is to collect the clow cards. This entire episode Kero's being nothing but a broken record about collecting the clow cards. It's freakin' annoying. The circle appears behind Sakura in the dub simply because they're discussing the clow cards, and the possibility that Li's a descendant of Clow Reed isn't brought up until the end of the conversation. None of the stuff about him being born of a British Father and a Chinese mother as well as the stuff about the magic being a mix between Chinese and English characteristics is gone.

They cut out a line exchange where Sakura asks why the outfit of the day has a cat theme and Tomoyo says because it's cute.

Another small line about the compass being left to Clow Reed's mother, thus it being a family heirloom is removed.

During one of the shots when Kero's getting angry, he says that he's been in Western Japan long enough to know that he can forgive being called an idiot, but not a moron. This is changed to just telling the two to stop arguing.

Dub Sakura: “Shadow! Release and Dispel! Return to your power confined!” Uh, Sakura, you're catching Thunder not Shadow...you already caught that card remember?

Well, this is weird, the Shadow and Thunder cards are digitally manipulated to look more colorful and brighter than they are in the original.

Visuals:

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Because of a line change in Kero's corner, a certain shot makes no sense. In the original, Kero states that the cat ears on Sakura's costume for that week were cute, but then we see a shot of Kero's ear and he says 'not as cute as mine, huh?' In the dub, he's basically jabbering about high tech whatnot and no explanation as to why there's a shot of him in there is given.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 12:26:44 am »

Syaoran Li is changed to Li/Lee Showron. I had to look it up to see if they were just outright mispronouncing it or if they actually changed it and that is the correct spelling for the dub; Showron. I admit, his name is one of the harder names I've had to learn in anime, at least from spelling, but it's not that hard Nelvana. Sh-OW (Like ow, stop punching me in the face, I'm sorry for dubbing this show)- rahn (Like, he rahn away from me once he realized that I had a lead pipe.)

Well, this is just a dumb paint edit. In the original, the teacher writes Syaoran's name on the chalkboard.  Nelvana digitally paints this away, but it's incredibly obvious that the teacher was just writing something on the board. Is it invisible chalk, Nelvana, or did you forget how to write?

In Chinese, Syaoran's name would actually be Shao Ran or something similar. Showron is just weird and is neither Japanese nor Chinese.

The teacher's probably writing in lemon juice. Gotta heat the chalk board.

Surprisingly, the dubbed version's cards look better.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 12:46:05 am »

In Chinese, Syaoran's name would actually be Shao Ran or something similar. Showron is just weird and is neither Japanese nor Chinese.

The teacher's probably writing in lemon juice. Gotta heat the chalk board.

Surprisingly, the dubbed version's cards look better.
I think you actually caught a mistake I made with that entry because when I say it out loud, it does sound more like ran instead of rahn....which means my joke would've worked better. What was I doing when I wrote that?

Okay, I heated up the chalkboard but I just got a map that leads to some place called Treasure. I washed it off, though. No worries.

Yeah I noticed that too, I just couldn't figure out why they were changed. I can honestly not think of one reason. None of the other cards have been changed to my knowledge so far but I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that now.
Report Spam   Logged

Crimson Curse
Mr. Curse
Resident

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:08 pm »

I remember this being shown here in India on Cartoon Network before/after (forgot which one!) Pokemon some 10-11 or so years ago, which was when I first heard/saw it. That was way back in school (7th grade). Now I feel so old.

And of course, it was Cardcaptors! Tongue

Quote from: DT
What was I doing when I wrote that?
You mean, what were you smoking? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The one and the same, whom you might have known or seen from a time long gone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum