Aisenfield
March 28, 2024, 10:32:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Elyrion Discussion Thread

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elyrion Discussion Thread  (Read 1075 times)
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 02:04:44 am »

Personally, I'm partial to the first idea. The other force at work could likely be both the ones who made the Queen ill and the ones who suggested Elsa take this course of action.
Report Spam   Logged

Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:55 am »

Two things I feel I should mention: first, that this is a reactionary roleplay, so be very careful when you make any plans beyond your own post, since someone else's post might completely change those plans. Secondly, I'll explain why CM's post is valid because of this.

While the posts in Elyrion have been outstanding, I'm worried that you guys are planning ahead too far. This isn't a book, where the ending is already printed and merely waiting to be read--literally anything can happen in a new post, as long as it doesn't break the story. I want to strongly discourage getting too attached to a particular plan you have for Elyrion's story, because the whole point of this RPG is to alter and challenge plans in order to have a more dynamic story.

The only things that are set in stone in this roleplay are the things that have already been written, which leads to why CM's post was perfectly legitimate. This is the heart of what Picard wrote on Elsa Touchstone:

Elsa Touchstone, serving directly under the royal family of the Queendom of Wynmarch, was the personal bodyguard of the queen, whom she was known to be absolutely loyal to.
"while I’d love to draw this out, I have a duty to perform in the name of the Queen."
After reviewing the material you posted on Elsa, this is what I've gathered about her that is concrete:
  • Elsa is the Queen's personal bodyguard.
  • Elsa is known to work faithfully for the Queen.
  • Elsa says she is working faithfully for the Queen.
  • The reasons behind Elsa's actions are as of yet unspecified.

Based on this, I would say CM's post is fine. It's a hell of a plot twist because of all the questions it raises about why Elsa has been missing for so long, but CM's hints about the Black Crescents being somehow involved in her disappearance creates enough possibilities to prove that there is a way to explain this.

We don't know why Elsa is collecting the Crystals. Her motivations are currently unspecified. We don't know what the Black Crescents are, either. These ambiguities leave ample opportunities for future posters to come in and fill in those gaps.

I won't offer any suggestions on how to fill those gaps, though, because (a) I don't have any ideas at the moment, and (b) that's completely up to the poster.
Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 10:25:51 am »

I understand everything you said, but is this not a discussion thread to discuss possible future scenarios (and the story in general), or are we just here to argue about it being a reactionary roleplay and talk about general off-topicness and absence notices? It might be fun to add your own twists, but I'd like to hear opinions on story ideas and what story route might be preferred for the participants. You'll have to pardon me about being attached to ideas, since I've never done such a kind of roleplay before. In any case, it's not that I'm not expecting changes to the plot, but I'd like to know which route would be ideal.
Report Spam   Logged

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 10:42:29 am »

the ideal route would be for you to surprise us. it is all about surprises, after all

rest assured we will surprise you back
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 11:01:13 am »

I understand that this style of RPG isn't what you're used to, Picard, and it's fine that you prefer to plan things out first--that's the way most writing works. Having your own ideas altered and tampered with is a huge turn-off for most writers, which is why planned-out, non-character-controlling RPGs are still a perfectly valid format. Elyrion simply isn't one of those RPGs, though, nor can it turn into one.

I'm not trying to single you out, anyway, since you've already demonstrated through your bit with Feryn and Ein that you're more than capable of writing skillful posts in this format. Seriously, the RPG is doing great right now. I'm just more or less fretting.
Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:26 pm »

My greatest fear here is being written to a standstill due to unexpected changes. It has always been my policy to plan the plot out in advance so I can focus on character development without worrying about the plot, but I will try it differently this time. Well, what can I say, I'm a giant worrywart. Don't worry though, I'll surprise you and CM when I can.
Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »

I had a thought recently about adding to my post. If anyone is thinking of posting, could they kindly hold off until Wednesday? Either tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to make a decent-sized addition to my last bit, and I don't want to be caught by the rule of no editing after someone else posts.
Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:07 am »

Alright, I've made my edit. Turned out longer than I thought. Carry on.
Report Spam   Logged

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:11 pm »

is arthur supposed to be august
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »

is arthur supposed to be august
And now we are reminded of why I don't type up longish posts at the dead of night. Fixing.

Edit: Fixed, I think. Thanks, CM. Let me know if I made any other errors.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum