Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 07:26:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Elyrion

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elyrion  (Read 1654 times)
Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:47 pm »

Feryn padded softly along the cliff side, hugging the rocky carapace and concentrating more on the placement of her footfalls than the yawning abyss that lay to her left. The air was silent and still, but she knew she was being watched, and so she kept a firm grip on her shield and dared not slow down. When she reached the mouth of a gaping cave, she muttered a brief incantation, and the shadowy gloom became clear to her eyes. She checked her pack once more to make sure the little box was there, before darting into the empty labyrinth. If Ein hadn't made it here yet, she was confident that she was at least, for now, safe from attacks.

She was more worried about the bleeding wound on her abdomen, however.

OOC: That's all this university student has time to write for now, but I hope you get the idea. Pick up where I left off or start a different story, either here or in another topic.

Oh wait, rules:

1. All power lies with the Poster
The current poster has full control over everything in the story, including ideas that were introduced by other players. In other words, you do not “own” any part of this story, except when you are making a post, in which case you own all of it. This applies to characters, places, events—the list is infinite.

2. You cannot change what has already been posted
Once you submit a post, there is no going back. This includes modifying your own posts in significant ways with the “Edit” or “Delete” function, as well as posting something that blatantly contradicts the contents of an earlier post. If you happen to do so, your post will either have to be deleted, or the inconsistent material will have to be edited out (I realize the irony). The goal of this RPG is to keep moving forward, and make the most of what we have. Naturally, this means you are required to read all posts in the RPG if you want to avoid the risk of having to lose your post because it just did not logically fit into the story.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:41 pm »

For what seemed like an eternity had the wound bled, showing no signs of stopping. The incessant throbbing pain, the sight of her own life force oozing out of her belly would have crippled any lesser soul, but Feryn was not deterred. For every drop of strength she lost, she gained a cup of spirit, and so was driven ever onward knowing that each second spent in doubt was a second she would never see again. Besides, if only she could make it back to Myrhun with the box -- this maddening, unadorned box for which she had fought and quested so laboriously -- it wouldn't matter if she died. All that mattered was her mission, and the indomitable voyager would let nothing stop her so close to its completion. Not even her own mortality. And certainly not that pale bastard Ein.
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Kendrix
Guardian Of The Timeline
Resident

Elemental Master Of Water and Ice

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Search Linux User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:24:26 pm »

To be honest, Feryn did not anticipate much difficulty when she was first assigned the mission. It looked to be, on paper at least, a fairly standard sneaking mission. All she would have to do is find the fortress, gain entry under the cover of darkness, locate and swipe the box and the make her way to the exit, all in all child’s play to an expert like her. It was for that reason chose to forgo her usual heavy duty equipment, except for her trademark shield, for a lighter and more stealth friendly substitute. The job itself was easy enough, nothing really to write home about, but it was on her way back that Ein and his guild ambushed her, and everything took a turn for the worst.

Feryn shook her head in an attempt to clear her mind. She had no time to be reminiscing about the past few days, especially with the chance that he was still chasing after her. She just had to keep moving, through this seeming endless labyrinth.
Report Spam   Logged

It seems as though, for better or for worse.... I'm Back

I had Kendra on my mind when I was replying for some odd reason...>_>;

Why, the world shall never know...
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:58 am »

I shall begin from another point, and converge with yours in time. For the record, I am also writing for Tyren/Kenji.

The crackling of the fireplace in the background, accompanied by the fuzzy sounds of white noise from the antique radio by the bedside, provided the black-haired man a peace of mind as he stayed comfortably beneath the woollen blankets, safely guarded from the pellets of cold white pelting outside the window of the small cottage. Miyamoto Kenji had taken a long journey from his home, a whole continent away from here, in pursuit of riches and fame. Mostly the former, since there was no such thing as having enough money. It cost money to travel, and his job paid him, but his job required him to travel. Sometimes the rewards barely covered his fees, and on some occasions, were not even sufficient. It did not help that mercenary work was a lucrative and competitive business. It was a never-ending cycle, like an Oroboros, eating its own tail eternally.

The figure beside him stirred, mumbling incoherently. Of course, he did not travel alone. Solitude was not ideal in his line of work, after all. Aside from the obvious danger, it would also be incredibly lonesome to be, well, alone. He slipped the blanket down slightly, revealing a mess of wild, flowing hair, like the flames a mere few feet away from them, accompanied by the slender figure of a woman under it. Kaen Akane was decidedly of the same oriental origin as him, as could be discerned from her facial features. There was something else about her, however, which set her apart from him. A pair of horns, approximately an inch in length each, protruded from her forehead. One could almost see a pair of pointed teeth as her lips part, if one looked close enough. She was, according to the folktales of his homeland, an oni, roughly translated to a devil, or an ogre, famously known for their love for alcohol and immense brute strength, both of which she proudly possessed. Nonetheless, her svelte body was hardly indicative of her physical might, but it certainly helped when she had to haggle with male innkeepers for a cheaper-priced stay.

A slightly louder snap of the firewood woke her up from her slumber, and she lifted her eyelids to gaze at him. Ruby red irises, almost blood-like. She broke into a warm, lazy smile as she saw him, like a dog receiving an affectionate head pet. Naturally, he petted her contentedly, carefully avoiding the horns. He would have done the same to the sleeping companion on his other side, but the latter resented it. In a way, it made sense. If the oni was akin to a dog, the other would be like a cat. An apt comparison to be made, considering that the third member of the team was a Felinefolk, a race of feral humanoids, mostly feline. Myrion Quirra provided the contrast to the hot-headed devil, given her cold, calculating nature. While Akane was fond of displaying her brawns in battle, the snowy-haired lass preferred the wisdom of arcane powers, spells that heal and magic that wound. How the trio had managed to form together was a story left for another time, but it was no exaggeration that they were more than close-knit.

“Evenin’…” Akane’s voice was raspy and lethargic, not unusual for one just awoken. She grabbed the gourd that had been placed on the floor by her side and took a swig from it, her face notably brightening up as she did so. Wine was like caffeine to her. “Much better.”

The Felinefolk’s sensitive ears twitched at the noise, and she sat up immediately as she awoke, like a vampire springing out of its coffin. It was a reflex reaction that the other two had gotten used to, being the most fragile member of the group and thus having to watch out for her own safety in the wilderness during their mercenary contracts. Myrion gave Akane a hard stare, as though her eyes had not focused, then she slipped out of bed, her ivory tail swishing left and right above her brown bare bottom distractingly. She was a person of few words, but it did not change her caring nature towards the other two. Without looking back, she tossed their clothes at them, picking hers up from a haphazardly-placed chair. “Time to go.”

Kaen Akane:

Myrion Quirra: http://imgur.com/a/5YSdJ
Miyamoto Kenji:

Edit: Tyren here (in one of my rare appearances, no less). Picard's doing Chinese New Year things, and asked me to make an addition. It doesn't affect any previous posts or the current one, so it shouldn't be in violation of the rules. For anyone who happens to pick up this side of the story at some point, we'd both like them to be aware of the characters' rough personalities (particularly me, since Kenji is an established character of mine).

Akane - She's friendly and warm, big-hearted with hearty laughs, and not very intelligent, though that's not to say she's an idiot; far from it. Fond of alcohol, but not so fond of the waking hours until she's had her fix. When it comes to combat, she's pretty reckless and more or less goes wild. Might makes right.
Myrion - For the tropers out there, she's a kuudere. For the not-so-trope-informed, she's a deadpan little catgirl. It shows more in her facial expressions than her words, though, usually in the way of scowling and frowning. That said, she helps out and does her part. She handles the majority of the healing and support casting in battle, but packs a few offensive spells.
Kenji - Overall, a nice guy, though far from being a pushover. With slightly lesser social skills than his oni SO, but more friendly than his Felinefolk lady, he plays with a sense of humor, and is protective of friends and lovers. A Duskblade (translation: Red Mage) who balances magic, swordplay, and agility in one neat package; also a combat pragmaticist.

Also, added in Kenji's image while I'm here. Back to your normal scheduled program. I'll very, very likely be posting today myself.
Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:13 am »

"So..." Kenji began. Ten minutes had passed since the last of them had awoken, then dressed. He now led the two lovely ladies he travelled with out of the cottage, taking a moment to stretch as the door swung shut. Akane continued to nurse her gourd on his left, while Myrion remained silent at his right, her nose twitching every time the scent the oni's alcohol hit. "Just a general reminder about why we're in this region: We're looking for my sister, Kaede." The Felinefolk nodded, her tail idly curling and uncurling behind her as the three set off.

Akane sighed in content as she lowered her gourd, glancing down at the mercenary. "My memory's kinda shot. Remind me why your sis's supposed to be out here?"

"Old contact of mine mentioned her name. Remember one of the last contracts we had, back in Bernhast?" Both girls nodded, allowing him to continue. "Knew this high elf around the time I was getting my start. He was basically my agent for the better part of four months, constant supply of jobs. Dubious pay, but to be fair, we did split the money, him for finding the work, me for doing it... Good guy, in any case." Myrion gently elbowed him in the ribs, bringing him back to the point. "Anyway, he's the one who gave us the last job. When I went to pick up the cash, he mentioned a girl with my family name passing through a week or so prior. Said she was headed for this region, and that she might be going to Myrhun."

It was the mage's turn to prod for answers, folding her arms under her bosom. "I thought you said you left Kaede at home."

Kenji nodded, "I did. When I left, we talked about what I was doing, and she understood. I really don't know why she's up here..." He cocked his head and tipped it back, looking up at the sky as he thought and walked. "Either she's become a merc or wanderer herself, or she's restless and came out to find me... The second one is more likely; we were all but attached at the hip as kids." The duskblade chuckled to himself, bringing his head back down to level. "Regardless, I have to see her."

The oni, who had resumed drinking occasionally in the meantime, thumped Kenji on the back somewhat hard, though not enough to knock him over, and laughed. "'Course ya do. She's your flesh 'n blood. I'm sure she'd kill to see who you've been hangin' round with... And sleepin' with." Akane grinned cheekily, her fangs gleaming. Though Myrion remained silent, she did nod and offer a brief smile, which faded in short order. Typical of the Felinefolk.

"I'm sure it'll be a fun reunion. Maybe she'll be at a loss for words when she sees you two, huh?" He laughed again, imagining the possibilities.
Report Spam   Logged

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:21 pm »

Weary and wounded, Feryn trekked ever onward into the bowels of the earth. To walk this stony corridor was to walk hundreds of years of history. Once upon a time, there had been only one passage to the elven enclave of Myrhun, a vast and tangled network of natural cave hollows and manmade shafts. The ancient founders of the subterranean kingdom had designed the so-called passage to be nigh unnavigable, that the shambling horrors that then stalked the overworld might lose themselves in its endless arms long before approaching the dim bastion of elven civilization. The correct route through the underground maze was, for centuries, a secret protected by the guardians of Myrhun. By the time of Feryn's birth, Idran's Plague was but a memory of the eldest of her kin (the deep elves, as they had come to be known), and the sprawling Berne Plains above had been again declared safe for travel and settlement. In recent decades, the underground nation slowly put an end to its self-containment, and efforts had been undertaken to streamline the passage, sealing off dead ends and hewing new shortcuts through stone, so as to make travel into and out of the earth practical for all who wished it. Centuries of mining technologies and magicks were applied to the construction of new passages to the surface, stretching as far as Castle Bernhast in the east and the foothills of the Gelherns in the west, without ever seeing daylight. And although these earthen corridors no longer composed a hopeless maze but a veritable underground highway, the deep elves were too stubborn to abandon habit, and continued to Feryn's day to refer to this network colloquially as 'the labyrinth'.

It was through a section of this ancient caveway that Feryn pressed herself now, though she was only vaguely aware of the history surrounding it. Though the renovated passages were simple to navigate, they were still quite long; the deep elf warrior supposed she still had to wander three or four miles farther, deeper, before reaching the outskirts of Myrhun. She began to wonder if she could really make it that far. Her pace was slowing and her thoughts were beginning to blur. The complex workings of healing magic were beyond her ability, a fact she lamented now more than ever. But failure was not an option, and Feryn would not be deterred. Whatever the box was, Lady Tatain insisted upon its importance, and so it was her sworn duty - her life's purpose - to recover it. Feryn repeated this to herself, silently, to keep up her resolve.

Then came a noise. Footsteps from behind, approaching quickly. Feryn knew this could only mean one thing. She swallowed her pain and broke into the fastest dash she could muster. Down the bumpy slopes of the cave road, into a centuries-old magically-carved tunnel, around an unnaturally angular corner down another gloomy cavern. As Feryn's energy dwindled, so too did her magical eyesight. It became harder to run, harder to see where she was running, and had she not in her last throes come upon a human family from behind, themselves descending by torchlight toward Myrhun, she might have given up all hope. Bernish farmers, she thought, moving from the plains. They turned when they heard her running, and she raised her hand for them to stop. Fumbling for the box, she lamely caught up with them on a manmade path over an underground pond.

The sight of the bloodied deep elf frightened the human family, of whom there were three members. The mother, a fair young bride in country dress, instinctively held her baby daughter closer to her bosom, while the father, a scruffy, hard-bodied young laborer, stepped to meet the warrior. The man opened his mouth to inquire about her wounds, but Feryn stole the first word.

"Take this," barked Feryn weakly in her crude Bernish, and thrust the dull treasure upon the stranger. "Give this to Lady Tatain. Everything depends on it. Run now."

She panted. The man returned a quizzical look. He wasn't going. Feryn repeated her command, but the farmer didn't budge. He opened his mouth and asked her a question. She didn't understand. It dawned on her that this man was no Bernish. Knowing him unlikely to speak Myrhuic either, she resorted to the only other language she knew. Feryn drew her sword from the sheath at her hip and pointed it at the man's throat. He took several steps back in surprise. His wife looked on, frightened. The wounded vassal took several steps toward him. "Go!" she urged again, coughing up blood at once. The young father seemed to get the idea this time and returned to his wife, still clutching the box, and the confused family scurried own down the road with their belongings and their torch, leaving Feryn alone in the dim cavern.

Feryn sighed, relieved but half-delirious. With great pain, the pain of finally resting after a great and lengthy labor, she crouched down next to the subterranean spring. Her mystic vision had all but expired now, and if not for the soft blue-green glow of the mana crystals growing in the pools around her, she would have been completely blinded by darkness. She had ceased to check her wound by hand; the feeling of blood trickling ever further down her legs was assurance enough that her condition was not improving. Not that it mattered; the deep elf was certain of her fate. As the dripping of water echoed about the cavern as she listened to the footsteps from without draw nearer. Their rhythm had slowed, as though the approaching phantom knew his prey no longer sought to escape.

Feryn rose at last to her feet, grasping her sword and shield in her bloody palms. Hopeless though her situation seemed, her iron will still animated her: if this was to be her last fight, she decided, she would have to make it count.
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Terak
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »

The trail of blood grew larger, granting some hope to Ein. The elf's wounds were opening up fast, and her pace was slowing: with luck, she would die before she could make it back to her city. He certainly hoped so. Once the Scorpion found out what had been lost, they were all as good as dead. Especially Ein himself. He was the one who was in charge of protecting it in the first place, and it had been his foolish blunder that had allowed the thief to enter and pluck it from its guarded store so easily. There was no good reason for its absence, either -- he had merely been careless. Passages were empty that should have been guarded; doors were open that should have been locked; eyes were dull that should have been alert.

The woman would die; that much was certain. Ill fortune had made Ein both predator and prey, and he focused more on the task at hand than the grim consequences of its failure.

Then he stopped. Over the sound of his hammering pulse, he could hear the sound of distant, ragged gasps. He motioned for his two attendants to slow down.

"Draw swords," he said, "and expect an ambush. She could be faking it."

He knew she wasn't, but he was feeling more cautious than usual.
Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:47:50 am »

Snowfall had reduced to a mere drizzle when they set off from the cottage, resuming the lengthy track to Myrhun. It was supposedly a shortcut, since the alternate route would have them waste a couple of days or more on a detour around the prospering kingdom of Bernhast to reach the entrance of the passageway into the elven enclave. Despite the elven effort to make themselves more accessible, it would have been a monumental task to drill a hole through a mountain to connect with the nearest civilization in the east. The only shorter way would be to take the road up the mountain. Fortunately for the hasty wayfarers, a few business-minded Bernhastians in the past had the brilliant idea to set up cottages in the midpoint to facilitate trade and travel. Within a decade from its conception, the founding merchants became some of the richest men in Bernhast from their foresight. Traders no longer had to go the full length just to sell their goods, and the once heavy main route to Myrhun was drastically alleviated of its traffic. From houses for respite, it had grown into a bustling town of Kraft, named after the merchant who brought about this change. Still, it was still bound under Bernhastian laws, and considered a property of its kingdom.

It was there that the group of three had rested, and it was time for them to resume their journey. The sky had already been washed over with a carpet of black, riddled with sprinkles of sparkling stars. Odd as it might sound, nighttime was the better choice to take when entering the labyrinth. It was a simple explanation: the tunnels were more brightly-lit in the evening than during the day, and there were more guards patrolling to ask for directions should they find themselves lost. Security was more lax in the morning, since monsters and thieves were mostly nocturnal. Restocking their supplies and provisions, the trio rented horses and went on their way, exiting through the west end of the cold town.

Even with horses on haste, it still took them two uneventful hours to reach the entrance of Myrhun. The borrowed mounts were trained to hurry from one end to another, not for the sake of the travellers, but for the profit gain of the Kraft merchants. The faster each round was, the more customers they can earn from. Regardless, it was a benefit for both parties involved. Returning the horses, Kenji stepped towards the ancient tunnel, now adorned with various signs in different languages and directional arrows to aid the wayfarers. It was clear to just about anyone how much the elves were trying to push for accessibility. Akane seemed the most excited out of the three about entering the elven enclave, yammering incessantly about the top-grade wineries that the elves had as they entered the tunnel, while Myrion simply watched on disapprovingly and quietly as usual.

“Nothing really beats the fire whiskeys made in Mythril, though! If only it wasn’t so hard to go there in the first place, I’d go there all the t-”

“Shush.” Myrion raised her leafy-looking staff before her oni companion’s face, stopping her in her tracks. The Felinefolk’s ears twitched, picking up the sounds of her surroundings. She was always the most reliable when it came to detecting danger, so naturally the other two trusted her abilities. The white-haired mage gestured towards Kenji and Akane to proceed onward cautiously, the former with his sword drawn and the latter wielding a wicked club. As they drew closer, a low, growling noise became audible, and it sounded nothing short of threatening. Whatever it was, it had sensed their presence, and was likely defending its territory, or awaiting its prey. What kind of creature would have a home in Myrhun’s labyrinth, however? The tunnels were a frequent route for travellers. It would have been dispatched by the guards before it could even set up any semblance of a den.

The moment Kenji stepped out, a wave of electricity flew right at him, bouncing off harmlessly as it struck an invisible barrier. He glanced over at Myrion, nodding at her in appreciation. There was no time for him to react to the initial attack at all. It was a leopard, or something akin to one. A Couerl, yellow-furred beasts that relied heavily on spells to attack their prey. The duskblade raised an eyebrow, puzzled by its appearance. Such a beast was not native to this land. Akane spent no time at all on contemplating the existence of the Couerl, pushing Kenji aside and charging at the spotted monster with her club swinging. It hissed aggressively, slipping past the oni swiftly as she tried to drop the pain on it, and firing several more spells of ice and fire at Kenji, whose barrier continued to shield him from the assault. The swordsman transited into a blur, rushing past the Couerl speedily with a magical buff of speed on his limbs.

Blood splattered across the floor, and the yellow creature whimpered in pain, scampering away before any of them could land the coup de grace. Akane looked over at Kenji, confused. “Shouldn’t we finish it?”

He shrugged. “The guards would probably take care of it, I think.”

Myrion stared at the fleeing Couerl for a while, till it scurried out of her line of sight, listening keenly that it was not trying to ambush them elsewhere. She turned to her companions, giving them a nod to continue.

“…Are you sure this is the right way? It’s darker than the other tunnels,” asked Akane curiously, breathing fire from her lips once in a while to illuminate the path around her. Myrion pulled a torch from her knapsack to the oni, who promptly set the tip aflame.

Kenji shrugged, walking onward as he spoke, “Don’t ask me. I’m just following the arrows.”

The redhead seemed unsure. “I think you probably missed one a while back or something. There’re no arrows here.”

Myrion stopped abruptly, causing the other two to halt as well. “…I smell blood.”

“See, I told you that you should’ve killed that Couerl,” chimed Akane matter-of-factly, shooting a tiny fireball right past the duskblade’s ear. He did not respond to her, drawing his blade again and staying on guard as they proceeded, just like before the Couerl encounter. Akane was probably right, thought Kenji. Now it had hurt someone else.

“Wha-” Akane paused. An elven girl, her body seeped in blood, sword and shield upon the floor, lied unconscious and motionlessly by a dim-lit spring. The oni shot a glance at Myrion, who did not require any further prompt, rushing over and pouring healing spells from her staff upon the fallen being. Making sure the wounds have shut, the Felinefolk shifted the elf away from the spring, afraid that the latter might fall in and drown by accident. Akane heaved a sigh of relief, releasing red-hot particles of fire as she did so. “She gonna be fine?”

The white-haired mage inclined her head, saying curtly, “Mm. Let’s go. We should backtrack, I think.”

Kenji sheathed his sword, turning around and heading back up where they came from. Over the course of their own journey, they had saved enough people to know the inconveniences that might occur if they stayed with the victims till the latter awoke. People tend to have the impression that their saviors were heroes, and would gladly take up some kind of quest from them. Best not to get tangled in the mess of others, as the trio decided. Myrion’s duty was to heal the injured, not to resolve their problems. Furthermore, the saved tend to try and repay them somehow, which might result in more wasted time, or sometimes even hinder them in their mission. Kenji was a nice person, but he was not by any means a saint. Akane used to be constantly annoyed by his inability to refuse the weak, until she hammered it into him. Myrion, on the other hand, was pragmatic, and knew that she could not possibly tend to everyone extensively. Healing was enough.

After another hour of confused wandering, they had finally arrived in Myrhun.

The trail of blood had led them wrong. Who would have guessed that they had been tracking a monster all along?

“No, that’s not it. We must have gotten the trails mixed up along the way,” decided Ein, running away from an incoming projectile of fire, while his attendants charged at the wounded beast. A desperate creature was a dangerous one. It was releasing spells wildly and unpredictably, making it hard to approach. A ranged attack might work, he thought, pulling out a dagger from his left boot. He needed to hit the monster squarely in the head, or he would just be enraging the Couerl even further. It was no easy feat, considering how much it was moving around, despite the blood loss. It had already turned one of his men to stone. Status effect spells was the specialty of its race, but not something that was often used, since there was not much of a meal to be had on a petrified victim.

Ein hesitated. His blade could get deflected amongst the barrage of magic, and he would have to fling his sword instead. Should that fail, his fate would be no better than his attendant. Steeling his resolve, he tossed the weapon as soon as he could see an opening, praying to God that it made its mark.

The spell bombardment ceased. The steel fang had sunk into the jugular of the monster. Not exactly where he intended, but it worked.

Drawing the knife from the now dead Couerl, he wiped the blood on its smooth fur before keeping it. Ein kicked the monster in frustration. He had to begin the search anew.
Report Spam   Logged

CM
ovelrord
Resident

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »

Neither Gerich nor Hensa spoke another word until they were deep into Myrhun. The farmer held his wife close as they wandered through the claustrophobic "streets", the narrow, crowded corridors lined with housing units carved into the stone that made up so much of the underground city. Though their lips were still, their minds were alive with thoughts of uncertainty; though they had banished the bloody elven warrior and her curious box from their minds, plenty of doubts remained to occupy their thoughts. It was Hensa who first vocalized them as they nudged and pushed their way through a busy subterranean street.

"We are lost."

Gerich tacit noted his wife's vexation, but continued to lead her and their child through the streets. In that moment he no more cheerful than Hensa. All around them were strange, dusty-skinned humanoids babbling in incomprehensible tongues, too close for comfort. The air was hot and stagnant, thick with the local smells: the odors of thousands of bustling citizens, street vendors' pungent sundries, and a subtle but undeniable degree of ancient must. In spite of his discomfort, however, the head of the family opted to remain quiet. Accordingly, so too did Hansa.

But the family's collective silence did not hold for long. Evidently as flustered as her parents, the bundle of defenseless flesh Hansa clutched in her arms began to whine, and then to wail. To those sharing the street with the Bernish couple, it was just another noise in the urban cacophony, but to Gerich and Hansa it was as vexing as all the commotion around them. As there was no place for them to stop to attend to the baby, the weary parents tried to ignore her cries, but the loving mother could not to leave her baby's suffering unanswered for long.

"Gerich," she said, "we must stop for the baby."

Again, Gerich said nothing, but continued to trek through the crowds. But as he progressed, he found his wife began to gravitate further from his side, on the lookout for some respite for her darling daughter. When he thought that his wife's detachment was more trouble than he willing to tolerate, by chance he spied a large, ostentatious sign on the wall at the end of the corridor. Though he could not read it, it seemed to suggest something important was in this direction. That was enough for Gerich.

He called to her, now separated from him by ten feet of indifferent elven bodies: "Hensa! This way."

Hensa trustfully followed her husband's command and closed the distance between them, and together the Bernish couple and their anguished child hurried through the portal at the end of the street. When they passed through it, what was previously obscured by traffic became abundantly visible: they had reached the heart of Myrhun.

Unlike its artificial sidestreets, Myrhun's city center was a natural limestone cavern of startling size, grand and open, tamed and refined by the hands of the ancients. Magical lamps warmed the humongous chamber with their soft golden light. The air here was much fresher, cleaner; as soon as Gerich and Hensa stepped into the cave, they were too much caught up in the relief of being able to breathe happily again that they failed to notice the grandeur of their milieu. As they descended the fanning stairway into the plaza with the dispersing crowds, they began to take note of exactly where they were. It was unlike anything they had ever seen on the surface. As they looked around, they saw the gigantic white likenesses of heroes and monsters carved into the hulking earthen pillars that upheld the cave ceiling, hundreds of feet above them. Fearsome visages and icons lining the walls, adorned with gold and silver and gemstones extracted from the mines below the city; subterranean waterfalls harnessed and redirected into aqueducts and fountains; and at the far end of the cavern, the walls and ceilings converging into the the exquisite, gleaming facade of what the poor Bernish farmers would someday know was the Temple of Elyrion. Hensa trembled at such a powerful sight, and Gerich held his overwhelmed wife close to him.

Perhaps it was the clean air, or perhaps it was the spirit of the , but as Hensa walked with Gerich further into the plaza, the infant in her arms began to calm itself and was soon sleeping serenely against her bosom. Relieved, the couple seated themselves on a bench before an ornate metal sculpture at the center's plaza. They sat in silence, regaining themselves in the shadow of a gallant, silver elf standing upon the severed head of a great, hideous serpent. For a moment all seemed to be well and the two were at peace, but worry quickly found its way back into their heads.

At length Gerich spoke: "We will find an inn. Then in the morning we will search for your cousin's... house again."
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:23:02 am »

Kenji wasted no time searching for his sister the moment he stepped foot into Myrhun. While Myrion and Akane took their belongings and went for the nearest inn they could find, he set about asking the locals and traveling merchants for sightings of a relatively short, black-haired human of the same nationality as him. He was unable to provide more details, considering the number of years he had passed without seeing her. She might have changed her hairstyle, or perhaps she had grown even taller than him, although unlikely, he mused. That would be somewhat disturbing, at least to him. He always remembered her as a hot-headed munchkin, and it was hard to imagine her sprouting like beanstalk.

Not much progress was made, unfortunately, despite having worked his way from the entrance to the central plaza. There were simply too many people passing through the elven enclave these days, so it was a nigh impossible task to take note of some random passer-by. He sat himself down on the pedestal of a towering statue, immersed in his thoughts. What would Kaede do in a place such as this? Myrhun was well-known for only a few things. He tried recalling his past interactions with her, trying to discern a clue out of old, perhaps even unreliable, memories. There was something that clicked, that connected reason with location. His sister had always wanted to become a mage, much like Myrion was now, but one that rained destruction instead of healing. A black mage, in short, not a white mage. She had an aptitude for learning magic, as he had learned when he taught her a few of his. What he took weeks to master, she did in mere days.

There was an academy for magicians here, in Myrhun. A very famous one, in fact, and it was also a member of the ubiquitous Mages’ Association, which had branches across the world to promote and regulate the use of magic, in addition to forbidding certain brands of sorcery.

“Still nothing?” Kenji looked up at the sound of Akane’s voice. His partners were standing in front of him, watching curiously.

“Well, I might have something. I think,” replied the duskblade, hopping off the pedestal.

“You think?” repeated Myrion cynically with crossed arms. Her skeptical look was telling enough. Kenji chuckled nervously, raising his hands up at her to fend her glare away.

“Why don’t you tag along? I might end up finding something useful,” suggested Kenji placidly, which seemed to satisfy the Felinefolk somewhat. Agreeing to his idea, they made their way off from the plaza, and towards the school. Myrion seemed much more at home than the other two were, perhaps due to her magic-oriented background. The academy was simple to navigate to, with tell-tale signs posted at every corner specifically for it. Without a doubt, the building bore quite an influence over Myrhun. After all, magical supplies are quite costly, which in turn translates to profit for merchants. With Myrhun’s difficult access to and from the nearest civilizations, it would be easy for the traders to mark up prices on the basis of traveling fees.

Calling the academy big would be an understatement. It spanned miles and miles into the distance, almost like a palace. While most houses were built into the cave itself, the academy was made from bricks and stones, more man-made than elf-made. Statues of famous magicians lined the entrance, and Akane was starting to think that Myrhun had some sort of an odd fetish for effigies. There were just a little too many of them in this city. Regardless, she had bought herself some elven wine, and was more than content to keep her comments to herself. Myrion would just frown at her if she did blabber, anyway, and mumble something to the effect of the oni not understanding the finer points of culture.

“So… where do we start?” asked Akane, looking about curiously. “I wouldn’t really want to start searching every room in there.”

“Simple,” replied the white mage. “Ask the staff.”

Kenji shrugged. That would work, he supposed. Walking into the academy, they were greeted with the warm lights from crystals that lined the windows, illuminating their path dimly but adequately. It had a comforting effect, probably to calm the panicking students who were nearing exam dates. Not that he had much of an experience with those. He never really immersed himself in studies, operating as a mercenary for most of his life instead. His feline companion, on the other hand, graduated from the Mysidia Academy of Magic as a valedictorian, being one of the few to have actually mastered the Dualcast ability in the school. Myrion led them towards the offices with an authoritative stride, inquiring the professors about a certain Miyamoto Kaede. Kenji stared at her as she did her work, surprised at her efficiency and confidence. As a student, consulting teachers was probably a frequent thing for her, he thought. Akane did a demeaning impression of a nerd behind Myrion’s back, but stopped quickly when Kenji jabbed her side.

The white mage turned around. “I know where they are. Follow me.”

Knock, knock, knock.

“Coming!” The door swung open swiftly with excessive force, revealing a petite brunette in a dark green-and-beige uniform with black shorts. She was more than a head shorter than Kenji, barely reaching Myrion’s height. And her eyes were wide open in surprise as they fell upon her brother. “Kenji!?”

“Hey, Kaede. Been a while, huh?” replied the duskblade, waving at her.

His sister, on the other hand, was not exactly glad to see him. Her cute face quickly turned nasty. “Don’t ‘been a while’ me! What the hell are you doing here!?”

“Wow! What a firecracker, eh, Myrie?” chuckled Akane, though Myrion shared none of her amusement.

“What’s the commotion, Kaede?”

Kenji paused. There was someone else living with her. And to top it off, a guy. He was not sure whether to be horrified or glad that someone would actually desire her, fiery attitude and all. One surprise followed after another as a blond Felinefolk emerged by the doorframe, roughly of the same age as Kaede. Neither of them seemed old enough for a proper relationship yet, in any case, or at least in Kenji’s mind. “Wha-, M-Myrion!?”

For once, the white mage looked astonished. “Hugo?”

“You KNOW each other? Man, talk about one hell of a coincidence!” exclaimed Akane with a laugh, taking a swig of grog from her gourd (despite prohibitions in the academy, much to Myrion’s disapproval). “What’s he to you, Myrie?”

Myrion quickly regained her composure. “…Cousin.”

“Wait a minute, you two…?” started Kenji, making the connection between the two roommates.

Kaede seemed to catch on quickly as well, hugging Hugo’s arm tightly. “Yeah, that’s right, we’re an item! We’ve even slept together! So don’t even think about dragging me back home just because mom and dad don’t want me traveling this far to study magic!”

“K-Kaede! You don’t have to tell them that!” spoke the blond quickly and timidly, his face turning beet red from her openness. Or it might be from noticing the oni’s curvaceous frame. The sister mage noticed his stare, stomping hard on his foot to get his eyes off of Akane, who broke into laughter.

“They didn’t approve?” repeated the duskblade, still reeling in from all the new information. “Wait, did you say you slept together?”

It only made Hugo fluster even more. “P-Please disregard that, Kaede’s brother! We didn’t do anything, I swear! All we did was sleep together!”

“Hahahaha! Look at him! How cute!” snickered Akane, tearing up from the amusement. “Yeah, he’s totally a virgin. And a goody-two-shoes to boot, haha!”

“Akane, please,” mumbled Kenji exasperatedly as he rubbed his temples.

“Who’re they, anyway?” asked Kaede, scowling from her failed attempt to intimidate her brother away. “Don’t tell me they’re BOTH an item with you.”

“Uh, actually… yeah.”

“…What.” She stared at him, momentarily dumbstruck. “Are you serious?”

“...Yeah.”

“…Wow.” Still dumbstruck. “I can’t believe my socially inapt brother landed not one, but TWO girls.”

“Uh… yeah.” Kenji scratched the back of his head.

Silence.

Kaede folded her arms. “…This is awkward.”

Miyamoto Kaede:

Hugo Anthony Oswald:
Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:42 pm »

"Well... That really wasn't the reunion I expected," Kenji commented, chuckling. Following the earlier awkward moment, Kaede had invited the three in, if only to be fair to her brother. Akane curiously examined and surveyed the many magical trinkets in the younger couple's room, while Hugo twiddled his thumbs further off from the two Miyamotos, and Myrion flipped quietly through the pages of one of Kaede's grimoires. As for brother and sister, they sat across from eachother at a small table near the window.

Kaede clearly wasn't pleased about Kenji being around; from what he'd gathered before coming in, she was apparently convinced their parents had sent him here. "Why the hell are you here?" she questioned, holding back her apparent anger.

"I heard you were here, so I came to see you," he explained in brief.

"So mom and dad didn't tell you I ran away from home, huh?" she interrogated.

"No?"

Her appearance softening ever slightly, Kaede looked less angry and more annoyed, as if trying to discern if her brother was lying. "You don't even keep in contact with them, do you?"

"It's a little hard to when my career keeps me on the move," Kenji began, scratching the back of his neck. "I send them letters when I can, but I've outright told them not to respond, because there's very little chance I'll get it. Wished you well in each of them." He paused, cocking his head. "...They didn't tell you that, did they? Before you ran off, I mean."

"Well, that explains it, then..." Kaede tipped her head as well and massaged her temple. Looked like she finally put two and two together. "And no, they didn't. I ran away two years ago." Two years? Kenji left four years back, meaning she'd been out for half as long. She brought her head back up at the same time he did and continued. "I still write to them nowadays, though. They never really mentioned anything about you to me."

"Thinking back on it, I guess this makes sense. I didn't exactly leave on good terms with our old man," Kenji detailed. "Why'd you run away? Besides the obvious."

"You know mom and dad don't want me learning magic and staying so far away," she reminded him.

"True... They wanted to keep you close to home."

Kaede sighed, almost groaned at the thought. "So I ran away!"

"I see..." Kenji processed everything for a couple moments. Given his parents' dispositions - their mother being more pleasant than their father, but all the same somewhat restrictive - it made plenty of sense. Disappointing, considering his sister's potential. Thinking back on them, he rubbed the back of his head, chuckling somewhat nervously. "This is really ironic in hindsight... You weren't home for this when it happened, but I had a talk with the old man a couple days before I left. I told him that they really needed to let you spread your wings. Our home's not exactly known for magic, so I knew all you'd do is stagnate if you stuck around."

His sister blinked, waiting for some kind of favorable response. Kenji's expression briefly shuffling into one of distaste served to disappoint her as he finished. "Needless to say, he didn't take me seriously."

"Well, I guess he didn't listen, then... Either way, I'd be here whether they approved or not." Kaede shrugged, sitting up in her seat. "And so here I am."

"I'm happy you're getting your wish, then." Kenji offered her a smile.

There was a brief silence as both considered how to continue the conversation. Kaede chimed in first, voicing a concern Kenji was waiting for her to express since the earlier awkwardness. "So what's your story? What's with the two girls?" On their mention, Akane turned away from the collection of curios to look over at the two siblings. Myrion's ears perked up, though she continued poring through the magical text.

Kenji chuckled. "It's a funny, interesting story, but Akane tells it better." He glanced over at the oni. "Hey, Akane, wanna help me out?"

"I'm lazy." Her amused expression told otherwise.

Myrion finally glanced up from her investigation to scowl at their companion before turning to Kaede. "Kenji defeated her in a mission to 'subdue the wild oni of the hill.'"

Akane reached for her gourd. "You sure sum things up pretty well, Myrie."

After being silent for most of the chat, Hugo finally spoke up. "What about cousin Myrion?"

"He saved me from drowning." There was the faintest blush on the Felinefolk's features; Kenji had learned to pick up on her suppressed blushes a while back, though he made no mention of it for her sake.

"Kitty can't swim!" Akane laughed before taking a pull from her gourd, earning a glare and more noticeable blush from the White Mage.

"I can now..." she hissed through her teeth.

Kenji leaned back in his chair. "Anyway, that about sums up how we met."

Kaede had finally dropped all impressions of irritation or anger, and looked more curious than anything. "And I guess all your adventures got you so close like you are now."

"Mm, pretty much!" chimed Akane, to which Kenji nodded in confirmation. She took another swig of her choice of drink, exhaling as her cheeks flushed. "Phew...! So what about you and Hugo, eh?"

"It's none of your business, drunkard!" The younger Miyamoto almost stammered with embarrassment and surprise.

"Is it mine?" Kenji innocently inquired, earning his sister's fiery rage, something he hadn't seen in years."

"No! It's none of anyone's business except Hugo and mine!"

"How fierce," Akane commented, then started laughing. "Hugo's gonna get it rough in the future!"

"W-WHAT?!" the male Felinefolk could only exclaim, thoroughly flustered. Kaede was less so, but enough to once again try to avoid stammering.

"S-shut up already!"

Myrion, used to Akane's antics and clearly unaffected by them, opted to bring the topic back to a civil discussion. "Learnt anything useful here, Hugo?"

"Y-yeah. We're one of the few that managed to master Twincast as a pair, actually."

The ogre amongst them blinked, her head lolling to the side. "Twin-whuh?"

"Twincast. Two mages cast the same spell in unison to make it stronger," Kenji explained to his magic-inept lover.

"Aaah, that's cool."

"I don't need it." Myrion shrugged, glancing down at the grimoire in her hands. "Still, that's a good skill to learn if you're going to work as a pair, unlike me."

"You mastered Dualcast, right?" Hugo inquired.

"That's why I don't need Twincast. I'm doing the workload of two mages." Kenji knew just how handy and convenient the Felinefolk's Dualcast was. It was immensely useful, combined with her preferred White Magic. In a sense, their party of three had three effective mages despite only packing two real casters.

"Wow..."

Kaede blinked, her brow furrowing. "But you can only cast White Magic, right?"

"Mm."

"Hugo and I are White and Black Mages respectively!" She seemed to take on a fiery, though not angry attitude, proud of her ability as a mage. "We balance each other out!"

"That's pretty good, I guess?" Akane offered.

"I know a bit of White Magic, too. I'm training to be a Sage!"

Myrion seemed slightly surprised, pulling her gaze from the book again to meet Kaede's. "Sage, huh..."

"She's a magical prodigy," Kenji stated. "Always has been."

"It's not an easy task, becoming a Sage." The Felinefolk didn't seem entirely convinced of the younger sibling's magical prowess, but made no further comment.

"That's why I came here to study." Kaede concluded. She waited a moment to see if anyone would comment or question further, then stood up, finally offering her brother a smile. "Anyway, you wanna take a look at the Earth Crystal here? It's inside the Temple of Elyrion. Pretty big tourist hotspot."

"Sure," Kenji responded and stood as well, returning his sister's smile. He had something of an interest in the crystals; it was another reason he wanted to come to Myrhun, second only to the goal of seeing Kaede again. Finding more work was third. Odd priorities for a mercenary, but they had enough money to roll with for a while, hence work wasn't immediately necessary... Just a good idea to keep an eye and ear open for.

"Earth Crystal? What's so nice about that?" Akane inquired, interested, but horribly uninformed. Or forgetful. Kenji couldn't always tell.

"Read a book," Myrion suggested with her deadpan expression, ironically setting down the grimoire.

"I'd rather have something edible."

"Edible, or drinkable?" Kenji began to laugh.

"Both!" The oni joined the Duskblade in mirth.
Report Spam   Logged

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:06:00 am »

The overpowering smell of aromatic leaves and fragrance oil greeted the now party of five when they stepped into the Temple of Elyrion. Myrion wrinkled her nose irritably, but her cousin, on the other hand, having lived here for two years, was already used to the scent. Akane was completely unaffected by it, having a dull sense of smell for anything that was not alcoholic, while her human lover had to take a breather to acclimatize before proceeding further. It was a clever way of delaying intruders, thought Kenji, by assaulting their senses before they could enter, although it was not exactly a perfect defense.

Elven monks, dressed in plain brown robes, wandered the open grounds before the Crystal Shrine, sweeping fallen leaves and performing general upkeep. Serenity permeated the air, creating a silence that people instinctively maintained. Kaede led the group down the stairs and pebbled pavements, to the wooden front doors that stood between them and the Earth Crystal. She held a finger up to her lips, and then pushed open the gates quietly. How odd it was, to allow tourists to enter and view the magical elemental stone that reigned over nature and life, mused the Black Mage’s brother. There were four of said crystals; Fire, Water, Wind, and finally Earth, which they were currently visiting, and each of them commanded such immense power, it was thought to be seemingly endless. The Crystals were harnessed by various kingdoms and civilizations, allowing them to prosper in ways otherwise unachievable. The dwarven kingdom of Mythril that held the Fire Crystal, for example, was able to produce the finest weapons and armor unparalleled by any other.

As they entered, the duskblade saw a line of monks standing guard in full body armor, preventing tourists treading past a hundred feet of the Earth Crystal. ‘Enormous’ was an understatement to describe the shimmering emerald, towering like a lighthouse over the group. How anyone would even decide to steal something of such scale was beyond Kenji. One would require an army, perhaps, and definitely plenty of rope, in addition to several Float spells. The logistics involved would probably be mind-blowing. Regardless, the mercenaries stood in awe of the fabled Crystal, while the Myrhun mages stared in admiration. The air felt warmer within the shrine, despite the absence of torches or flames. Magic was so saturated within the chamber that Myrion could almost taste it. Even the leaves on her staff were glowing with power just by being within the Crystal’s vicinity, and Kenji’s blade illumed inside his sheath. What was more noteworthy, in spite of the giant floating mineral, was Akane’s complete silence, which was a rare occurrence in itself.

Finally, Kaede spoke, “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

“How does something like this even exist?” asked the oni breathlessly, unable to take her eyes off of the green stone.

“Depending on who you ask, some say that the Crystals are gifts from the gods, others say that they are the ‘hearts’ of the planet itself, given form,” replied Hugo softly, staring fixedly at it as well. “Our academy here teaches us the second, and that we should not take their powers for granted, or they will run out in the far future, causing our world to die. They guide the stream of life, returning the dead back to its flow and taking from it to grant new life. If we were to use up the Crystals’ power…”

“Nothing can ever be born again,” concluded Myrion solemnly, “which is why they must be safeguarded, and not to be used for destructive purposes.”

“That’s a pretty good lesson,” commented the redhead with a smile, finally tearing her gaze away from the Crystal. “I think I’ve admired it long enough. Shall we head back? I could really use some wine.”

Upon the mutual agreement of the group, the party of five left the shrine, closing the doors behind them. As they were about to leave, however, they saw a freckled blonde with attractive features, clad in light armor and a billowing white cape, stood obstructed at the temple gates by the elven monks. She was accompanied by a number of knights, which indicated the possibility of her being one as well. Kenji could not hear their conversation clearly, although it seemed to him that it was some sort of a dispute. Casting uncertain glances at each other, they decided to try and slip past the two groups.

“We cannot let you take the Crystal, Lady Knight! This is a desecration of our temple!” exclaimed one of the monks disparagingly, gripping a wooden rod in his hands in preparation of defense.

“I do not wish to resort to force, sir,” said the woman sternly, her eyes cold like steel. Despite her austere countenance and her preposterous demand, she still sounded as if she held a high respect for the monks. Her hands were left by her sides, without intention to draw her blade. Was she seriously expecting them to hand over the Earth Crystal from a mere verbal order? Kenji stopped dead in his tracks before nearing the two parties much, and so did the rest of his group. He did not recognize her, but the insignia on her armor told him enough, as well as the pure alabastrine sheath which her sword, the Edelweiss, was kept in. She was the greatest swordswoman of their time, known to many as the Lady Knight of Wynmarch, or the White Lion General. Elsa Touchstone, serving directly under the royal family of the Queendom of Wynmarch, was the personal bodyguard of the queen, whom she was known to be absolutely loyal to. “I will not ask again, sir, so please relinquish the Crystal, and I shall be on my way. No one needs to be harmed.”

“She wants to take the Crystal!? That’s ridiculous! We gotta do something!” Kaede looked over at her brother, eyes burning with passion, or excitement, he could not really tell. Kenji was much more cautious than his petite sibling, and incredibly hesitant to take action. On one hand, fighting with the legendary swordswoman who felled a hundred knights single-handedly could be one of the biggest challenges he could ever hope for. On the other hand, that sounded like a completely suicidal idea that should not even be considered in the first place. Even with an oni that could rival the strength of several men, an expert on White Magic that could Dualcast, and a pair of mages with Twincast, Kenji doubted that they would be able to defeat her. Not to mention all the knights behind her. It was practically an army. Come to think of it, she likely brought them along for the sole purpose of transporting the Crystal, thought the duskblade, and possibly intimidation. In terms of combat, she could practically handle anything.

“There is no negotiation here! Leave!” yelled the head monk, standing firmly before the Lady Knight.

Elsa sighed, one hand reaching for her sword handle. “It seems that I have no other choice in this matter. I am sorry.”

“You there! Will you help us!?” cried one of the monks at Kenji’s group.

He raised his hand at the guardians to stop them. “Actually-”

“We will!” Kaede interjected before the mercenary brother could refuse, apparently fully oblivious about the Lady Knight’s capabilities. She seemed to have noticed his reluctance, quickly barking at him, “We have to protect the Crystal, Kenji! It’s the world’s heart!”

“I guess I don’t have a choice…” sighed the duskblade, drawing his blade.

The knights behind Elsa moved to join their leader in combat, but she halted them with her unsheathed sword. The Edelweiss shimmered beautifully, itself a source of light and warmth, much like the Crystal. It was said to be forged with the grace of the Wind Crystal, possessing sharpness beyond any earthly possibility. Air swiveled and pulled itself around the white steel, maintaining the blade’s polish and edge. The White Lion of Wynmarch advanced forward like an ominous cloud, and the Edelweiss akin to the squall which followed. The monks readied their poles, stepping forward in formation to surround her. As she continued relentlessly, they began their assault from all sides as a single unit, bringing their weapons down upon her. Elsa was faster; swooping down like an eagle, she swept the feet of her opponents with the gust trail of her sword, dropping all of them to the ground harmlessly.

Kenji’s breath was almost taken away from the sheer grace of her move. It was clear that the last thing she wanted was to harm any of her foes, or they would all have been dead by now. Elsa certainly lived up to her fame. The knights behind her flooded into the temple quickly, taking the monks aside and immobilizing them with ropes. Now, her attention was on the mercenaries and the Myrhun mages. “Kindly step aside. This does not concern you.”

“The hell it doesn’t!” yelled Kaede furiously, pointing her wand at Elsa hostilely. “Hugo!”

“Right!”

Plants sprang forth from the pavement without warning, wrapping around Elsa’s limbs swiftly and dragging her towards the earth forcefully. The Lady Knight struggled against the magic only briefly, but it was enough time for Myrion to cast her initial battle preparations; Hastega to quicken reflexes and speed, and Protectga for physical safety. Elsa broke through the shoddily-made defenses with quick strokes of her blade, retreating a few steps to size her enemies. Kenji and Akane moved into the front row, while the magicians stayed at the back. Kaede and Hugo were chanting together, uttering different words, but in the same tune. The Felinefolk tapped the floor rhythmically as she mumbled spells, weaving support magicks together across the entire team.

Elsa wasted not another second strategizing, for she knew that the longer she spent thinking, the more buffed her foes would become. The tanned White Mage was an immense threat, the shatter point, providing for the group’s health and safety. She knew not what the other two magicians were casting, but any aria longer than five lines was worth considering as a painful threat. The combined spell might be sufficient to take out the majority of her knights, and transporting the Crystal would become unfeasible. The oni was physically strong, but the Lady Knight was confident of her strength. What of the only male in the party? He seemed more agile than his red-haired counterpart, possibly another user of magic as well. In order to make it to the Felinefolk, she would have to fall the frontlines quicker than the healer could cast. The side of her lips curled up into a self-confident smirk. It was not arrogance, but an acute awareness of her abilities. Easily done.

It happened in an instant. Elsa charged forward, seemingly recklessly, provoking Akane into attacking. The Lady Knight slipped past the falling club deftly, striking the blunt side of Edelweiss on the redhead’s skull, while her eyes stayed focus on the offensive ahead. Kenji was already at her side, ethereal swords forming in the air around him as he swung his blade at her abdomen. The blonde twisted herself away from his steel edge to the best of her abilities, causing it to merely scrape the skin of her armor as she advanced simultaneously. Edelweiss had made its mark again, before the duskblade could fire his ghostly projectiles at her. The mages were next. Elsa returned her sword to its home, bringing one foot back as she settled into a low stance. Within a split second, she had withdrawn the white metal and sent it back into her sheath, releasing a pressurizing blast of wind at the remaining trio, knocking all of them down despite Myrion’s barriers. The Felinefolk had yet to cast Shellga for magical defenses, and Elsa had seized the opportunity. The White Lion of Wynmarch rose to her full height as the battle ended in a fleeting moment.

“Take the Crystal, and kill no one,” ordered Elsa to her subordinates, who promptly moved towards the shrine.

“It’s not over yet…” Kenji pulled himself to his feet, steadying the world that was spinning around his head. The blow from Edelweiss was a lot more painful than he expected, even with Protectga’s shield. She was much faster than he (and everyone else, in fact) anticipated. The blonde widened her eyes in surprise, gesturing to her knights to carry on without her. She pulled her sword out again, gradually making her way towards Kenji. The duskblade returned to his senses, raising his weapon against her and gritting his teeth to brace himself. “Forget about the Crystal, I’m not going down without a proper fight!”

It was the last thing he expected from her, but Elsa smiled a genuine smile at him, and it made her appear almost like a completely different person; an attractive, feminine maiden, for one, instead of a battle-hardened swordswoman. She nodded approvingly, as though he had met her hopes. “Very well. I, Elsa Touchstone of Wynmarch, shall be your opponent. Introduce yourself, so that I may remember you.”

“Miyamoto Kenji. I don’t have any fancy titles, unfortunately,” came the reply. As he finished his sentence, he darted forward in a flash, powered by both Myrion’s and his spells. Elsa was surprised, but not caught off-guard, standing stoic to parry the first blow. Kenji skidded to her side, launching projectiles he had quickly conjured at her as a distraction while he moved in for the coup de grace. It was a tactic tried and true, for people were bound to err eventually, and a fatal blunder it would be. Nevertheless, Elsa’s focus was of a league of its own, compared to his past foes, managing to deflect the pelting shots and parry Kenji’s sword methodically. Were they not on opposing sides, the duskblade might have taken the time to admire her swordsmanship. “Akane!”

Flames seared behind Elsa, setting the knight's cape on fire. The oni rubbed the back of her head to soothe the pain, fiery sparks escaping from her lips. “Sheesh, that really hurt.”

The Lady Knight spun in a wild circle, extinguishing her burning cape and diverting Kenji’s projectiles away with Edelweiss’ gales, before cautiously backing away from the duo. Noticing that the duskblade had ceased his magic assault, she stopped to speak, “I’m impressed. Not many can withstand such levels of pain.”

“We have Myrion’s magic to thank for that,” replied Akane, proud of her feline companion, who was still out cold. Unlike the two warriors, mages were much more fragile, and were unlikely to recover from Elsa’s direct hit as quickly. “You’re going down!”

The White Lion of Wynmarch gripped the handle of her sword with both hands. Kenji felt a sense of dread rising in his heart, as though his instincts were telling him to back down immediately. “You’ve fought better than most, Miyamoto Kenji and your oni friend, and while I’d love to draw this out, I have a duty to perform in the name of the Queen. In respect of your abilities, I shall show no quarter, save for your lives.”

Edelweiss started whistling, like the chirps of a songbird, as the air surrounding the blade picked up speed, as though creating a hurricane with the white steel as the eye of the storm. The song slowed into a moan, and then a howl, as zephyr became gust, and the temple begun to tremble in recognition of the sword’s power. It would be foolish to attack now, or at any other time afterwards, thought Kenji and Akane, watching in fearful awe of the gathering might. There was nothing they could do to stop the Lady Knight’s skill. Elsa’s sapphire irises shimmered for a moment, reflecting the brilliance of the violently quaking Edelweiss she held firmly in her grasp. “Fall before me! Climhazzard!”

The last thing Kenji could see was an all-encompassing whiteness, before passing out from the intense pain.

Elsa Touchstone:

Report Spam   Logged

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »

Time seemed to slow down in Kenji's mind as the White Lion of Wynmarch executed her brilliant, decisive attack. The violent sheath of energy loosed from the Edelweiss, producing a blindingly white light that zeroed in on both himself and Akane. Before it overtook his vision completely, his mind processed something curious: a slight, minor flaw in what was otherwise a perfect ability. What he beheld was the slightest of blind spots, enhanced by the fact that the whiteness also obscured its user's gaze. Elsa Touchstone had to be immensely confident in the power of Climhazzard, for she made no moves once loosing the attack; she remained still throughout the growing light, presumably waiting for it to dissapate and verify her victory. If Kenji could have seen it sooner, if he had time to exploite the blind spot... Maybe...

Too late, in any case, as the light overwhelmed Kenji's vision, and the pain overcame his resistance and knocked him out.

"--ji!"

The next thing he felt was a stinging slap to his cheek, waking him up.

"Ow..." Kenji didn't need to open his eyes to realize who'd hit him. It was an old habit of his sister's, during their childhood, to slap him awake if he slept too long... According to her, 'too long' was a minute past seven. Though he wasn't in the mood to be nostalgic, he was quietly thankful for her wake-up call for once. The duskblade sat up, Kaede sitting down next to him and hanging her head; much like he couldn't spare the mood to reminisce, she didn't appear to be in a mood to chastise him. As Kenji looked up, he realized why: the Earth Crystal was missing.

Myrion padded over to him, muttering healing magic. A rejuvenated, uncharacteristically solemn Akane walked past her, looking in the same direction as their mutual human lover as she rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, that sucked... Got our heads kicked in, Crystal's gone, and my gourd spilled over." The three of them, plus Hugo as he plopped down on Kaede's free side, nodded.

As the duskblade's strength and stamina returned to him, he stood up and stroked Myrion's head, eliciting a blush from the Felinefolk. He nodded again, silently thanking her as he took in the scenario they found themselves in. Taking a moment to survey the shrine, he noted the monks were coming to; Elsa truly hadn't slain any. Why would such a noble swordswoman steal one of the world's Crystals? She didn't even offer an explanation, simply citing her liege lady. It was puzzling and, frankly, disturbing...

The silence persisted amongst the group as Kenji stepped past his White Mage companion, returning his gaze to the new void in the shrine. He pondered how much time had passed. It didn't feel much longer than five minutes, meaning the instant he and Akane had hit the floor, and the White Lion's attack had faded, the Crystal had been removed by her knights. In truth, he was more disappointed with that fact then having lost the battle. Though he had been roped into it by his sister, and quietly enjoyed the thrill of his brief tango with Elsa Touchstone, the heart of the matter was that he should've priortized the Crystal more than he had.

That said, he wouldn't let this fact demoralize him. Kenji turned to his companions, sister, and her boyfriend, addressing the lot. "Whatever the Queen of Wynmarch wants, I doubt she's gonna stop at the Earth Crystal. Chances are, Elsa Touchstone will need time to bring the Crystal home, then I'm willing to bet she'll be sent out after another. I could be wrong, but..."

"Now you're concerned over the Crystal? What the hell stopped you before?" Kaede was clearly bothered, irritated even, but too disheartened from what had happened to get genuinely angry.

"I don't think that matters a whole helluva lot." Akane broke character, still staring at the gaping void where the Crystal once was as she responded for Kenji. "He's always got his reasons for feeling the way he feels. Learned that one at the point of a sword." She paused, meeting Kenji's gaze as he turned to find hers. "Facts are facts: World's heart just got lifted right in front of us. What're we gonna do?"

Myrion folded her arms under her bosom, turning toward the both of them. "You're both idiots if you go after her. There's no guarantee she won't kill you next time."

"We're not," Kenji confirmed, shaking his head. "We're going to find the rest of the Crystals, and warn people that Wynmarch is on the move. We should have time before Touchstone heads back out, assuming the Queen really does want all of the Crystals."

Akane put a hand on her hip, stretching as she spoke, "Mithril's got the Fire Crystal, doesn't it? I don't know much about them, but I hear things... Just have trouble remembering them most of the time if good drinks aren't mentioned."

"Mm," Myrion verified the oni's question. "They'll be difficult to get to, but it's a safe bet."

Kaede hopped to her feet finally, finding her nerve again. "Well then, we've gotta go to Mithril! Don't you dare think you're leaving me out of this, Kenji!" Hugo blinked and stammered down below her; whether it was due to the bold declaration of accompanying her older brother, or the enticing sight of looking up her legs, was uncertain. In either case, the duskblade turned and opened his mouth to talk down his sister, but stopped himself as something black flickered in the corner of his eye, prompting him to whip his head in the direction of the Earth Crystal's previous resting place.

A pool of darkness had begun to bubble at the center of the shrine. It merely bubbled up at first, then began to boil, violently sloshing about as if it threatened to rise and flood the structure. Something within hissed audibly, gradually picking up in volume as a putrid brown shroud rose from the shadow. Amber lights - eyes? - glared out from under the hood of the cloak, though no further details could be seen. As the rest of Kenji's party beheld its rise, the shrouded thing from below finished surfacing; it appeared to be hunched over, but even then dwarfed all present by at least half a foot. Surveying those in attendance, its hissing shifted into dark, amused chuckling.

"I sssee that bothersssome Earth Cryssstal is gone. How curiousss... No matter. Now, nothing remainsss to hold my glory in check..." The creature's lisp would normally be amusing to Akane and Kenji, perhaps even Kaede. However, in this context, it only served to maintain the tension in the air. The yellow beads under its hood drifted toward the exit to the shrine, then back to its would-be audience, as if deciding whether to attempt escape or launch an attack. "Where isss your fear? Do you not know that which you behold, mortalsss?" It shifted, and rose further within its shroud to now dwarf the party by another full head, taking a step forward. "I am the oarsssman who will ferry you beyond the veil! The Blighted Dessspot, Scarmiglione, Archfiend of Earth!"

"You gonna keep barkin', or are you gonna bite already?" Akane's rhetorical question drew the Archfiend's beady gaze to her, the oni stepping forward.

Kenji moved alongside his ogre lover, resting his sword on his shoulder. "You're not doing a great job at intimidation. Pretty good at causing tension, but if that's the extent of your power, I'm not impressed." His confidence had returned, a recovery Akane shared, and the rest began to duplicate. Myrion scooted in behind the two, Kaede and Hugo standing off further behind. The elven monks hefted their weapons. Although they had failed to defend the Earth Crystal, they would not let this fiendish beast to set foot into the city. Kenji turned and rose the tip of his blade, staring up his steel at the creature's hooded face. "Whatever you're thinking, it's not gonna happen."

"Foolsss! If the Earth Cryssstal is gone, that meansss you could not protect it! What makesss you dare think your pathetic power will ssstop me from resssuming my place as the Archfiend?!" Scarmiglione seemed to pause for a few moments, then brought out a dirt-splotched hand - a dried, withered appendage - out from his shroud to gesture to the party. "Perhapsss I will repurpossse your bodiesss and begin recreating my gloriousss legion of the dead... Yessssss... I like thisss idea." If they could see the fiend's mouth, the party could swear he was grinning.

"Like hell you will!" Kaede yelled in defiance, already charging a spell between her fingertips. Scarmiglione took note and stepped into a dead charge, intent on plowing through to the spellcaster. It seemed a reckless move on his part, but Kenji and Akane nonetheless reacted ahead of everyone else. While the duskblade darted to one side and palmed an array of flaming javelins at the Archfiend's head, Akane rushed the beast head-on and threw a wicked haymaker for its center of mass. Her strike connected with something, stunning the fiend for the briefest of moments where she normally would've thrown back an attacker or outright executed it with her might. However, it was still enough to give Kenji's spell the opportunity it needed, hammering Scarmiglione's head one after the other. He emitted a howl, conjuring a Thundaga above both combatants who wisely dove to seperate sides. The duskblade's little sister loosed her own spell, hurling a sphere of fire past Myrion's head and into the indiscernable darkness within Scarmiglione's cloak, provoking another scream of rage.

As the fiend vocalized its displeasure, the elven guards of the shrine decided now was the time to strike, leaping in en masse around the Archfiend. The monster's size was a liability as the much smaller, but much faster monks began laying into its cloaked form with their bodies. Much like Akane, they couldn't see where exactly their blows landed, or how much abuse they inflicted, yet they could be sure they were hitting something. Kenji took the opportunity to back off and plot his next assault, while the brazen oni leapt into the fray to join the monks, lending her shattering haymakers and punches to their flurries of blows. In short order Scarmiglione howled once more, then pulsed a wave of electricity around itself that struck the array of monks and stunned them; Akane was lucky enough to duck just under the counterspell in time. She immediately jumped up into a flying uppercut meant for the fiend's covered head. A sickening crack sounded over the chorus of the fight, Scarmiglione stumbling back and holding his face with one of its wispy-looking hands.

The perfect opportunity had been created. Kenji and Kaede seemed to act almost in unison; both of them each slashed a hand up skyward, two great plumes of fire warping into existence on either side of the Archfiend. The combined heat enveloped and roasted the monster, setting its cloak ablaze. Hugo and Myrion had to hold their ears as Scarmiglione let out an agonizing yell, clearly in pain from the combined attack. It was at this time, however, that Myrion had an epiphany. Remembering the fiend's earlier words, she processed what it was, and its most likely weakness - aside from fire, given how well its shroud lit up - she chanted a spell under her breath, everyone present recognizing it as a healing spell. Kaede stepped forward to stop her, but was too late, the Felinefolk releasing a powerful Curaga into the immolated mass that was the Archfiend of Earth.

Interestingly, Scarmiglione's shrieking came to a sudden halt, though the flames did not. His burning form pitched back, hitting the floor with a solid, loud thud. The monks recovered from their sudden bout of stunning to behold its defeat, Kaede pausing in her motion to also take note along with her companions.

"...Wait, what?" She questioned aloud, lost on what just happened.

"'Legion of the dead.' Only necromancers and ghosts have an interest in an army of rotting corpses. It's not hard to guess that he was undead," Myrion explained, her expression neutral as she turned away from the flaming body to stare at Kaede. "You have a book that mentions necromancy, and you didn't guess what we could've been fighting?"

The Black Mage tipped her head back, pondering for a few moments. Hugo stared up at her questioningly. "In your defense, that's usually a White Mage's conc--"

"A-ahaha... Guess I wasn't thinking, huh?" Kaede finally got out, rubbing the back of her neck. Kenji chuckled. It wasn't like his sister to miss a cue like that; that alone made it amusing to see her mess up. Thankfully, it was far from a lethal mistake.

Akane stretched back with her hands held over her head, exhaling in relief. "That was kinda fast. Thought it was gonna be a better fight."

"It'sss not over yet," hissed the pile of burning fabric behind the group, who was at this point only being watched by the monks.

The spellcasters and oni turned as one, laying eyes on the now-rising Scarmiglione. His body was growing and mutating, inferred by his increasing size. The flaming shroud slipped off of his form, revealing a creature that had slunk out from someone's nightmares. A hulking beast on all fours now stood before them, his putrid brown flesh decayed and dessicated, sporting a quad of tusks sprouting from his back and ribs. "Impresssive... However, my true ssstrength lies in death... Now, you will join me in it, for thossse who sssee this face of mine mussst DIE!" He rose up onto his feet long enough to tip back down and pound the floor with his fists, leaving a dent in the ground. "I'll sssmite your ruin upon the walls of this pathetic ssshrine, and bring it CRASSSHING DOWN on your remainsss!"

Without the slightest hesitation, the shrine monks leapt after the renewed Scarmiglione, only to be met with a vicious, sweeping arm that slammed into half of them, knocking them away. The remaining half landed blows that seemed to be entirely ineffective. Unfazed, the Archfiend snatched up one of the elves and used him as a makeshift club to bludgeon - in another sweeping move - the leftover elves. For all their strength and training, the might of the Blighted Despot rendered them floored and winded. What remained was Kenji's party, whom Scarmiglione eagerly set his sights on, a monstrous smirk plastered atop his ghastly features.

"Have I intimidated you now, foolisssh mortal?" he interrogated, clearly referring to Kenji.

While Myrion maintained a serious, focused expression, and Hugo cowered behind Kaede, both Kenji and Akane seemed surprisingly confident. The duskblade set the tip of his sword on the ground, the edge facing Scarmiglione. "Close, but not quite." He whipped his arm up, a wave of sparks flickering from his katana's tip and intensified by magic flying up into the fiend's eyes, blinding him for a few seconds. In that time, Myrion finished chanting her latest Dualcast, reapplying her Protectga spell onto the party and invigorating Akane, the oni charging the stunned monster and leaping up onto his head. Though his sight returned upon her landing, it was too late as she dropped onto her knees, used her massive strength to take hold of both sides of his rotting skull, and ram her forehead hard into the bone. Apparently, even a mighty Archfiend was not immune to an ogre's might; there was a visible dent left in his skull.

Scarmiglione, though stunned, managed to shake off Akane, who rolled upon landing and turned to stand off with the fiend as he held his head and moaned. By this time, Kaede had completed her Twincast with Hugo - having since dragged him out from behind her back - and hammered the monster with a 'healing' spell that further pained and disoriented him. Regaining his senses, Scarmiglione roared out of pure rage at the party, clearly angry with being made into a fool by their tactics. He struck the ground and howled again, a violet cloud seeping out from his flesh and billowing toward the party. Hugo and Myrion identified it first for what it was; a Gas attack. The rest of the party took a guess and assumed - rightly - that it involved poison, and quickly scattered to avoid the effects. Akane wasn't so lucky, being the closest to the beast, and took the brunt of the toxin. She groaned and took a knee, forced to hold her breath until the cloud dissapated, afterwhich she began to breathe hard.

"Fragile mortalsss! Sssee how your mightiessst fallsss to the sssting of death!" the Archfiend declared, and before anyone in the party could react, he brought his fists up, clasping one hand over the other in a double-axe handle, and brought the pair down.

Surprisingly, or perhaps unsurprisingly, Akane rose and crossed her arms in time to block the hulking Scarmiglione's attack. Were she not a strong oni, her arms would likely be broken. A confident smirk on her features, she began to force herself back onto both feet, staring up at the fiend. "Joke's on you. I drink stuff way more lethal than your bad breath...!" Asserting her might, Akane held fast under the fiend's axe handle, her stalwart resistance distracting him long enough for the rest of the party to act.

As Myrion relieved Akane of her ailment with an Esuna spell, and Hugo finished a Hastega spell for Kenji before beginning a Twincast with Kaede, the duskblade dashed off at a breakneck speed toward Scarmiglione's undefended flank. Lances of flame shrieked past and ahead of him, peppering the Archfiend's arms and catching the dried flesh on fire, a tactic that weakened his grip and allowed Akane to shove his fists up, reeling back with her own fist primed to strike. All at once, the party acted: the lady Felinefolk completed a Dualcasted Curaga spell that debilitated and heavily damaged the undead abomination; hot on her heels were the Academy students, their Twincast coming to its conclusion and pumping a second healing spell into the monster's form; with a great leap, Kenji zeroed in on Scarmiglione's dented skull and brought his blade across the cracked bone, a burst of energy detonating as his tip made contact and creating a hole in place of the impressive dent; finally, stepping into a dead charge at point blank range, Akane threw a heavy punch into the fiend's sternum, a sickening crack echoing through the shrine upon impact.

The combined abuse from the five brought Scarmiglione to his knees, one burnt arm held over his sternum. Then, he pitched forward, Akane wisely leaping back and out of the way as his upper half collapsed onto the floor, kicking up dust. The party waited, surrounding the fiend's body, but keeping their distance, even as he lay still.

"...I-is he dead?" Hugo stuttered, uncomfortable with the idea that it might rise again. After all, it did once already.

Myrion's ears twitched. "You can't kill what's already dead. Most likely, he's unconscious."

"Mm," Kenji agreed, sheathing his katana. "He got up pretty fast the first time, but he also mentioned his 'true strength lay in death,' meaning he'll either stay like this or get back up."

"What do we do, then? Burn the body?" Kaede questioned, hands on her hips.

Akane began walking toward the prone fiend, popping her knuckles with a smile on her features. "Lemme pound on 'im for a bit. He won't get back up."

Further off, the elven monks had recovered from their unprecedented beating, and saw the Archfiend's form. They only needed one look to verify what they already knew of the legend of Scarmiglione: if the monster's body remained, it could still get back up. They began to run forward, one of them calling out to the approaching oni, "STOP!!!"

Akane paused, glancing at the monks, failing to notice the hulking fiend's fists pushing it back up onto a knee, and reeling back for a sweeping swing of its arms. Kenji saw it, his eyes widening. "Akane, duck!" Too late; the moment she turned back to face the beast, its arms came around and slammed into her body, hurling her clear across the shrine and tumbling back.

Fully enraged and incoherent, Scarmiglione howled as it rose back onto its feet and hands. Sluggish from the damage dealt to it, but not ready to falter, it turned on the next closest to him, Myrion, and took a wild swing. Though the Felinefolk was as agile as her race is known to be, the force that the monster's fist carried, slamming into the spot she'd just leapt from, tossed her off-balance in the air and left her falling onto her front, banging her head on the ground and stunning herself. Hugo found himself terrified by what was happening, though Kaede refused to be intimidated, stepping forward and palming a Firaga at the Archfiend's center mass. While it clearly detonated on its intended target, it seemed that the Blighted Despot's rage serving as an anesthetic, numbing a portion of the pain he would've taken earlier from the potent Black Mage's magic. It did, however, provoke him into turning on the younger Miyamoto, shrieking and lumbering toward her.

From his spot, though Kenji was outwardly calm, his mind was panicked. He only had one healing spell, and it wasn't strong enough to destroy Scarmiglione. Further, he wasn't certain if he could reach his sister in time, and Hugo for that matter. For all their agility, the monks likely wouldn't make it either. Then, it hit him: the hole in the monster's head, created by both Akane and himself. He just needed a clear shot, and he could end the threat as well as keep his sister and her boyfriend safe.

Kenji pulsed a Firaga blast through his free palms and at the Archfiend's legs, following it immediately with a Thundaga aimed for his ribs. The first spell, though its damage was once more muted, did its job of stumbling its target, while the lightning bolt plowed into Scarmiglione's side, sending electricity arcing along its body. Stunned and further angered, he turned away from Kaede and toward the duskblade, distracting him from the coming monks, who leapt as a cohesive unit and fell upon him like a great wave, dropping onto his back and head with strong kicks. The Archfiend's accumulated damage seemed to be catching back up to his fury, a yelp leaving his throat before he shook and hurled the monks away. This gave Kenji the opportunity he needed; riding Hugo's earlier Hastega spell, he darted in front of his sister, charging a spell in his clenched fist. One attack was all he needed to finish this fight.

Well, that was the plan, anyway.

"Flare!" Announcing his spell, Kenji jumped up and reached out for the hole in Scarmiglione's skull, snatching it in time to avoid falling onto one of its rib tusks. The energy in his fist vibrated, then pulsed violently as he opened his palm and shoved it into the blackness of the hole. He grimaced as he felt something soft and slimy, but at the same time, knew he'd found where to deposit his attack. Pulling his hand out, he hauled himself up with the hand holding the skull and kicked off, leaping away and sliding on the ground before Kaede, who was quite incredulous at the reckless stunt she just witnessed. Before she could open her mouth, and as Kenji rolled over to look upon the Archfiend, a mighty, blinding blast of energy detonated the Blighted Despot's entire head, and then some.

A long, tense silence filled the shrine, Scarmiglione disintegrating into ash in the meantime. Myrion dusted herself off and rubbed her forehead, having stood up just after the explosion. Akane shuffled back over to the group, nursing a fresh bruise on her stomach. Nothing that some magic couldn't fix. The monks also rose back to their feet, taking in the sight of the destroyed Archfiend of Earth. Hugo's earlier fear vanished, staring at the ashes. Kaede glanced down at her brother after a few moments, who looked up at her.

"Well... That went well," he commented, chuckling nervously.

"...Uh-huh." Kaede seemed torn between picking up her brother and hugging him, and stomping on his head for doing something so stupid.

"So much for immediately making for Mithril," Myrion said, approaching Kenji's side along with Akane. "We'll need some Ethers first, possibly a few other things."

The oni among them groaned, glancing at her long since spilled-over gourd. "Do we have time for a drink? Or ten... Ten works, too."
Report Spam   Logged

Terak
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »

Feryn gave a low moan as a pounding headache brought her back into reality. She wondered why her mouth was so dry and her whole body felt so weak, until she remembered the amount of blood she'd lost from her wounds. Aside from her current discomfort, however, she was still alive, and this puzzled her. Through her blurred thoughts, she tried to remember what had happened after Ein had chased her in here for stealing--

Her blood froze. The box. Where was it? The thought sent a pulse of electricity through her nerves and she instinctively twisted to find the tiny parcel, but she found her movements denied. She was finally aware of the bonds of rope that bound her as they cut into her straining wrists and ankles. She also realized she wasn't alone.

"Don't bother screaming," said Ein, lowering his pipe. "No one can hear you."

Feryn's heart rate doubled, and she glanced around wildly through the dim light. She had thought she was still on the main path of the labyrinth, but she didn't recognize this section of the caverns. Ein had apparently moved her while she was unconscious. Her eyes fell upon some swirled markings on the ground, and Ein's last comment finally made sense. Silence runes. Ein had encased them both in a barrier through which no sound could pass. He sat perched on a nearby boulder, still smoking, seemingly content to let Feryn to collect her wits and take in her surroundings before continuing. It was Feryn, after a few deep breaths, who spoke first.

"I'm surprised you didn't just kill me."

This brought a small smile to Ein's face. "There's still plenty of time for that," he said. His expression turned serious. "In the meantime, however, I have some very important questions for you."

"Don't expect a helpful response," said Feryn, doing everything in her power to maintain a fearless front.

Ein nodded thoughtfully. "We'll see. While my attendant is busy collecting horses for us, we'll have plenty of time to catch up on things. You can answer me now, or wait until we're back at Ildrik, where I guarantee you will be much more cooperative."

Feryn suppressed a shiver at the thought of Ildrik's torture chambers. She was suddenly deeply uncertain about how well she could hold up to that kind of pain. Perhaps it might have been better if she had died here in these caverns before Ein had found her. Nonetheless, his threat also reminded her of something else that flooded her with relief -- Ein couldn't kill her because he hadn't found the box on her. She finally remembered practically throwing it at that farming family in a moment of desperation, minutes before losing consciousness. If she was lucky, those farmers might have already delivered it to Lady Tatain, in which case her mission would be successful and she could die in peace.

The young deep elf could not imagine the true repercussions of her actions.
Report Spam   Logged
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:42 am »

“Are you sure about this, Kaede? The journey ahead is going to be extremely perilous, and you’ve yet to complete your training. If anything, such a mission should be left to the professors. I don’t have the heart to let you and Hugo go on such a treacherous task, even if you have people to protect you. Even the elite guards are powerless to stop them from taking the Crystal out of Myrhun. What chance do you stand against Wynmarch? You should leave it to the more abled and influential men.”

“I have to, Prof! Other nations are in danger, and we have to warn them! We may not have the power to stop them, but we can get them to prepare themselves before Wynmarch’s army reaches their doorsteps. Besides, we will come back and finish our training afterwards.”

“Myrhun could have just sent some of their men to the respective nations to inform them. There’s no need for you to risk your lives for this,” argued the silver-haired professor, wiping sweat from his wrinkled forehead with a handkerchief. “It’s really not advisable for you two to go.”

Kaede knew that he was more worried about the reputation and existence of the academy being at stake, if two of its students could just skip class and meddle in the affairs of Wynmarch. Still, she was running out of reasons to rebut her professor. The blond Felinefolk suddenly stepped forward, speaking, “Professor, with Myrhun as it is now, it can’t afford to send men away. With the Crystal is gone, the entire enclave is susceptible to attacks from foul creatures, and the guards here will be preoccupied with increased monster activities. We’re one of the few capable of doing this now. Please let us do this. We’ll come back to complete our training and graduate, I promise.”

“…You really are persistent. Alright, I’ll release you, on the condition that you sign a declaration that holds us no responsibility for your actions.”

The black mage scowled. Figures, she thought. She had a feeling this would happen. She spat her response as indignantly as she could, “Gladly.”

Hugo simply heaved a mixed sigh of exasperation and relief.

“…And that’s how we got out of school. And got the principal to write a few letters of warning for us to show the other nations.”

“Huh, I’m surprised you didn’t just sneak out without so much as leave a note,” replied Akane, chugging down the contents of her gourd as they walked. The group had left the elven enclave in the morning (and getting their money’s worth of their stay at the inn), traversing through the other side of the labyrinth to the hilly Gelherns. The dwarven nation of Mythril was hidden beyond the undulating terrain, encircled by forests and mountains, accessible only through a narrow, treacherous pass. It would be easier to get there by an airship, but there was no such service between Myrhun and Mythril. Taking a detour pass the latter to get to an airship port would take even longer. The idea was to get there before Wynmarch’s White Lion does, after all.

“There are things such as rules and procedures,” said Myrion flatly.

“Yeah, well, I’ve never attended school, so I dunno about this sorta stuff.” The oni shrugged. “You guys always handle the smarts for me, anyway.”

Kenji decided to change the subject. “We’ll have to grab a few horses once we’re out of here. Going on foot will take too long. Can you two ride?”

Hugo nodded.  “I know a little bit.”

“Why the hell is Wynmarch suddenly so aggressive, anyway? I thought it’s a peaceful queendom or something,” spoke Akane abruptly, completely ignoring their conversation.

“Who knows. Maybe the queen’s getting old and senile. It’s not like it’s the first time in history that that’s happened,” replied Kaede nonchalantly.

“No kidding,” mumbled the white-haired Felinefolk.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum