Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 09:41:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sanity is for the boring.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

'Too Scary' Halloween Display

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Too Scary' Halloween Display  (Read 324 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »

So, I was browsing Reddit and I came across a topic titled something like "Trick or Treating with dozens of Toddlers and this was a display in one of the houses" Apparently this neighborhood has lots of houses that have themes, but for the most part they're kid-friendly. Except this one.

For those who can't be bothered, or if the link breaks, It's a Dexter Display. Dexter is a show about a sociopathic serial killer and the display shows a man dressed as Dexter holding a knife over a female victim who is strapped to a table by cling wrap. Also on the table is a fake arm, which could be construed as real, I guess (some wack-nut in the comments said it looks real, but it looks completely fake to me.)

Most of the people in the comments said this was awesome and not suited for WTF (the subreddit it was placed in) because Halloween is supposed to be scary and if you don't want your kids to see scary stuff on Halloween, then keep them home.

I, personally, see no problem with this. It'd be one thing if they showed like a realistically graphic mutilated corpse, but there's not even anything really graphic going on. He's just posed like he's about to kill her. In fact, the only 'blood' in the picture is on the wall to write out Dexter and some on his apron.

You're also not forced to go to this guy's house. You can easily walk away from it without the kids even seeing anything up close. If they get scared, explain it's fake. Because it IS.

I was pretty sheltered as a kid, but I don't think even I'd be affected by this display in my younger days. Heck, I actually remember stuff a lot scarier than that. Like the haunted house in my school or Haunted Hayrides where people would actually jump out of the woods and chase the haywagon with chainsaws (real I believe, just missing the chain) and knives, some even trying to climb up onto the haywagon and more.

I'm also a firm believer that Halloween is supposed to be scary and it's not just for little kids to get dressed up as Angry Birds characters and fairies as they go around just asking for candy. Adults have every right to enjoy it as much as kids do. And hell, what about people dressing up in 'scary' costumes? I'm gonna assume SOME people had to have dressed in costumes scarier than this display, have in the past and will in the future. Are you going to force everyone to dress in non-scary costumes so the kids won't get scared too?

Okay, I'm just rambling now. You get my view.

Now I want to hear your opinion. Is this display too scary to be up during Halloween or is everyone overreacting?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:55 pm »

Halloween's supposed to be scary. Everyone's just overreacting. Halloween's isn't about getting candies, I believe.

EDIT: GREETING FELLOW REDDITOR.
Report Spam   Logged

Weirdo
Elite

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

I can see why you'd want to rush your kids by quickly seeing as it was probably scarier than most of the stuff, but it's not really inappropriate.
Report Spam   Logged

Shameless self promotion : Any Last Words
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum