Aisenfield
April 20, 2024, 01:15:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "My mind is complicated, like a puzzle....I just happen to be missing a few pieces."~DT

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Game Released: Review of AC:R

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Game Released: Review of AC:R  (Read 304 times)
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:34 am »

Well, in the last week, I've picked up AC:R, and I think that it's a brilliant game. Not top notch in the sense of Skyrim, which I have yet to play properly to review, but more than good enough for anyone.

First up, plot summary. It's the curtain call for Ezio and Altair, with both characters making what is supposed to be their final appearances in the franchise, other than cutscenes showing "what happened so far". It's very much another expansion - showing a key part of Ezio's life as he attempts to thwart a Templar excursion to claim the Library of Masyaf, built by Altair. Ezio is now in his 50s, showing his age and feeling put out that he's spent over 30 years in a calling he did not choose, but ultimately still trying to stop the Templars from drawing in innocents into the secret war.

The game mainly takes place in the city of Constantinople, modern-day Istanbul, and it's effectively a much more expansive version of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, in the fact that you have no real need for the new equipment and that you spend a good portion of the game recruiting and training your assassins. While I feel the new equipment - specifically bomb crafting and the Hookblade - are much better additions than the climbing glove, the fact remains that you can go throw the game not missing any use of the bombs, and the Hookblade can be used just for climbing. Which, considering Ezio is now the Grandmaster of the Assassin Order, makes sense. There is a collection of Templar agents hiding in the populous to murder, and a "look for secret artifacts to unlock something cool" main/ side-quest, just like Brotherhood. Ultimately, if it wasn't for the fact that AC:B came first, I'd just advise not buying it ever.

The other parts of the games are detailing both parts of Altair's life, not shown in Assassin's Creed or the expansion, both before and after the events of each game, and there is a Desmond part somewhat key to understanding the game. in its fullmost. The Desmond section is very much a different sort of game, as it's 1st Person and there is very very basic physics in it, and that's it. However, it's a nice change of pace which reveals a lot of Desmond's previously untouched past, something we had very little information on.

The Multiplayer option, introduced in Brotherhood, has been improved on. The basics are the same, but the game types are much more varied. A Deathmatch; team gametypes; a zombie mode similar to that of the Halo series; a Treasure Hold game. These are ones I've played. There is now some customization, but unfortunately, it's not really enough - while I can customize my characters, it costs points which are used for buying abilities, and it can only be done after a certain level, often quite a while after you start. In other words, don't go Multiplayer for anything other than the option to compete against other people.

There is also, in-story, a Tower Defence-esque game, which is somewhat entertaining the first few times you play. Ultimately though - it's a necessary chore to hit 100% Synchronization and should only be done to hit that rank and no more than that. It's tedious, frustrating and upsetting if you lose, and it's fairly difficult to lose, but only if you have a perfect strategy. As the enemy is somehow much more efficient and intelligent in this mini-game than in the actual game, it can get very bad very quickly, and only timely intervention made by yourself rather than your "towers" will turn the tide at these points.

All in all, it's a great purchase. It is a nice final shout for Ezio and Altair, and it allows us to start to truly understand Desmond's character. While it is almost an improved version of AC:B, that's no bad thing. However, unless you pick up a special copy or are desperate to find out anything about the storyline, you'll be better off waiting until New Year to pick it up. It isn't going to punish you for not having it earlier, and it's just not worth giving up Skyrim for.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:22 pm »

I friggin' hate Den Defense. Good thing there's a work around. Assign an assassin to Den, do his mission, get him to level 15, and complete his second quest. He'll become a Master Assassin and your Den will be permanently secured.
Report Spam   Logged

EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:11:03 pm »

Yeah, I found that out when I got my last Master Assassin promoted. I was like, "F&$*! I forgot to do another Den Defence!" but it then counted as completing that challenge. Which is damn fortunate and just tells us that it was either a last minute addition or something which they scrapped but brought back at the last second, as it just hasn't the same pace as the rest of the game.

My real problem with it is that, while it is a great calling card and final thing for Ezio and Altair, they now only have a year to complete AC3 and their storyline, if they wish to hit their deadline. I'm somewhat... afraid that they'll postpone it and ruin their storyline, if you will, or that it just won't be as good as AC2. And since AC2 is, in my opinion, the best of the lot, as it had a much richer story behind it, and ACB and ACR aren't just running off the love of AC2 but are brilliant games in their own right, AC3 has a lot to do to hit my expectations. While I believe that the team are finally working together again for the first time since AC2, the pace is going to have to be balanced with the quality of the game. And it's a delicate balance if it wants to surpass the rest and be the best game of the lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum