Aisenfield
March 28, 2024, 09:16:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tonight, we dine... in Hell!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Horror Movies: Real Killer vs. Supernatural Killer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horror Movies: Real Killer vs. Supernatural Killer  (Read 310 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:09:32 pm »

This thought just came to me randomly while watching Scream.

I know there's a bunch of variables present in this like how well they're done etc. but which kind of baddie is more scary to you in a horror movie? When the killer is a mortal (Though has a touch of the average movie immortality to him, ya know what I mean) or when the killer is a supernatural force?

I believe that real, mortal killers are the most frightening. Not only is there the obvious of, hey, there could actually be people that twisted out there, but there's also the fascinating psychology that comes along with them. That's one of the reasons I love SAW, because Jigsaw was so fascinating. Silence of the Lambs' very own Hannibal Lecter is also extremely fascinating to many horror fans.

Supernatural killers are less frightening to me because of the knowledge that they're just fiction that can't really be matched in real life. They're frightening because you don't know what they're really capable of, or you do know what they're capable of so you just say "Oh sh--" and die.

Probably my main diversion away from supernatural killers in horror movies is that that angle has kinda ruined some movies. Like, Halloween is an awesome series of movies, but when they chalked up his amazing survival feats to "Hey he's actually cursed with ancient evil" or whatever that BS was, it got kinda silly.

I'd say the best supernatural-esque killer of horror movies is probably Freddie Krueger and that's just cuz his MO is so awesome. I mean, being able to control dreams and kill people within them? Awesome.

So what's your stand with this? Which one is better and why?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:40:05 am »

I'd honestly go with the supernatural killers, Scream used to scare the crap out of me as a kid but as I grew older ya know he's just a guy (or girl in one case). If you've got foreknowledge (actual word) of him coming at you you can fight him or run away. With Supernatural stuff you'd straight up know nothing about it, how to kill it, stop it etc. how to be safe in other words.

Only time I'd disagree on this is during some nightmares, I remember ghostface used to come in a lot of mine and because I was still younger I couldn't really think of anyway to stop him. Then I think around the time Scary Movie 3 came out I had one about that girl from the Ring and at the begining I had no idea what to do then run, but then I met my cousin and we kinda killed her..... yeah idk where I was going with this but I'd vote supernatural killers. :p
Report Spam   Logged
Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:52:10 am »

I'd say supernatural killers because the only horror movie that has ever really even given me any type of sensation close to fear has been the Paranormal Activity series. Movies like Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc. have never been scary to me at all because I think the whole premise is just so stupid. And it may have something to do with the fact that I do believe in demonic forces (I'm a Christian) so in the back of my mind I do see that as a real scenario while some crazy man in a mask with a rusty machete is just silly imo.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

Scary in a horror movie? I can't really answer that one - simply because a lot of things can fall flat if it doesn't fit into the plot or if it simply was expected.

Prefer though? The "natural" killers, which are humans with a different moral compass. In general, they aren't a nameless force, they aren't a somewhat stereotypical killer. They are explained, humanized for the viewer, and the best ones have their backstories explained so well you want them to succeed. Hannibal Lector is the alpha and omega of this clique, but it's hardly a difficult thing to be a part of, provided the character is worth the words spent coming up with them.

Supernatural killers in horror movies tend to fall flat. Which do you prefer, Death in Final Destination or Jigsaw from Saw? While the freakiest thing, for me, was Nature itself turning on humanity in The Happening, even that's a natural killer rather than some supernatural entity. The supernatural killers are mediocre, because the more inhumane they are, the more desensitized I am from the horror. It's when something is just twisted enough to cause the horror but realistic enough for it to be a potential thing to happen in real life that truly scares me.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum