Aisenfield
April 20, 2024, 01:23:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do a barrel roll!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Do game site admins have the right to hack?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do game site admins have the right to hack?  (Read 459 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »

I was going to just blog about this but I wanted to add a little life to this section and I wanted opinions.

Now, I can't really word this anonymously because if I made it that vague the situation might not make sense. So I'll drop names, however keep in mind that this is about the question in the title, not about the situation at hand. This is just an example and what spurred this. If you know me, however, you may see me ramble. Just ride through whatever unneeded babble you see and humor me. Smiley

In Pokefarm, the root admin and owner Kolink (You hay have seen my little rant about him in my blog.) hacked 3 shiny, very rare Pokemon into a user account so they would trade 38 of a novelty called "Sleeping Kolink" to him. He also apparently hacked a shiny legend for one of his friends, too.

Wolfin, his GF who is another admin on the site, later found out through a public outing of this situation (Supposedly Kolink was keeping it a secret from her, not entirely sure, but she didn't know so..) Kolink reversed this after stating the only reason he was going to undo the mess was because Wolfin badgered him. How lovely.

Anyhoo, much outrage was sparked by this as Kolink was basically cheating for his friends. Three sides of this came to pass;

1 - Kolink's the admin and the creator of the game and site, thus he has the right to do whatever he wants. Besides, he's not really hacking, it's his code, he just rewrote it to make the shinies.

2 - Despite him being the creator and admin of the site, it is still incredibly unfair to hack special, extremely rare Pokemon into an account. Especially when there's payment models for premium and ultimate services. Cheating for friends when other people pay for mere chances at the special stuff, even not shiny, is like conning people out of their money. Why pay when all you have to do is suck up to the admin and have something to trade/bribe to get special stuff?

3 - Even if he did this, he's reversing it, he's human, he makes mistakes, so shut up.

Let's take my opinions down the line.

1. Yes, he's the admin and he did create the site and game. As such, I would have no qualms if he "rewrote" the code to give himself stuff that was rare for everyone else. Sure, he gets the best with no work, but it doesn't effect what I do in the game (I don't play, though, BTW, just hypothetical.) so who cares? Zerxer, an admin of another Pokemon site you may have also heard me talking about, GPX+ does this in a way whenever a new novelty comes out, but what he does is more for example not benefit. You see, every time a new novelty gets released Zerx gives himself a shiny version of the novelty and then puts his box up for display (A box that is clearly labeled that they're not legit, he even has a separate box of shinies called "legit shinies" ) so people can see all the shiny versions of all the novelties.

However, he didn't cheat for himself, he cheated for his friends. Giving special treatment and cheating other users, paying or not, all because he had the power to do so.

2. I basically agreed with my answer to 1.

3. Yes, he reversed it, but he didn't do it because he felt guilty for cheating and giving special treatment, he only reversed it (and he even said straight out this was the only reason) was because his GF Wolfin wasn't happy about. He never said at any point in time that it was a mistake, only that he would reverse it because he got caught and Wolfin basically told him too. He never said he was sorry or admitted what he did was wrong, he basically said if people were gonna **** him out over it, especially his GF, he would reverse it, so shut up about it.

So if he's not sorry, saying stuff like "he's only human, he makes mistakes" is not a valid argument. He didn't make a mistake, it's not like he accidentally reworked the codes to make the shinies, he knew full-out what he was doing and he kept it a secret from everyone, including Wolfin. He got caught because the stats changed abruptly and someone reliable ratted to someone who made a public post about it. If that hadn't happened, he never would've changed it.

I've also seen other examples of this but I won't name where, these are various site examples. Note that just because an example says Pokemon, doesn't mean it's from GPX+ or Pokefarm.

Are these also unfair? Or, as the site admins, do they have the right to do these things?

- "Rewriting" code to make a shiny novelty for your GF on her birthday when no other user gets anything special on their birthday and can't trade on the site at all.

- (Flat out admitted this was Zerxer before so, whatever) Changing code to give you a shiny novelty for each novelty out, even when you're admitting they're not legit and they're just for examples for other users.

- Giving yourself or your friends the latest mount, pair of wings, etc. (Whether or not they give special stat bonuses)

- Automatically making your GF, who has no qualifications to be an admin at all, an admin.

EDIT - Admin breaking into a user's account and destroying their game profile (Ruining their gameplay, making them lose stuff, etc.) all because he deemed the user's account info not secure enough and just to make a point of account security. (And not reversing it, BTW)

If anyone else has any examples, go ahead and tell them. For now, this is your homework; Is it alright for site staff, root admins in general to "rewrite" their own codes to benefit themselves, for their friends' benefit or neither? Does a site owner have the right to do whatever they want if it's their site that they created? In places with paying models, do you feel if staff are cheating for their friends that you're being "conned" out of money? For people who don't pay for online games, would you also feel cheated if this happened?

Thanks for wading through the babble. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »

Normally, I'd be more inclined to share the first opinion but in this particular variable that I believe sways me over to the second viewpoint and that is the issue of money. Normally if the admin of a site that he owns and operates wants to give special benefits to his friends, I can't say I see any real harm in doing so (although it is a lousy move). However, once you bring money into the situation and make it so that other people must pay in order to get those same novelties, you are cheating your customers and just you're more concerned with making a few certain people happy than running a fair site that is enjoyable for everyone, not just special friends.

And as for his motives for reversing the decision, I can't really say if doing it because of guilt is any better than doing it because of a nagging girlfriend, unless you count the feelings of the members of the site.

Concerning the other issues, I see no harm in granting yourself special novelties in order to display them to the users and show them how they work and stuff like that. For the girlfriend, even though the things he did are questionable, I will say that my IRL girlfriend takes priority over online friends.

So to summarize my opinions on the main issue: Its an immature move to grant your select group of friends special benefits but technically there's nothing wrong about it. UNLESS the other members are paying for your services. That is when it becomes wrong imo.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:29:24 pm »

Personally, I don't mind if game site admins 'hack' their own accounts for better things, which is basically your point 1. After all, they are in charge of the game and they probably spend more time making sure the game runs smoothly than actually playing the game, not to mention the usual mental image of game admins are people with a lot of power, so having incredible equips for a game admin is to be expected. Furthermore, people look up to these admins. If they have those awesome equips, it inspires people to work towards those equips that the admins have in order to be as powerful as them. In a way, it's called in-game promoting. Of course, in a game where people have to pay for items and equips, I'd say game site admins shouldn't be hacking for other people, for reasons stated by Venom.
Report Spam   Logged

Weirdo
Elite

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:04 am »

My opinion is pretty much the same as the two mentioned above. It's okay if he does it for himself because it's his work. It's not really okay if he does it for another person except the GF birthday scenario which I think is fair.
Report Spam   Logged

Shameless self promotion : Any Last Words
DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:05:07 pm »

Hm, interesting sides. To make a note though, Wolfin's really only an online GF. I think she and Kolink have only met once IRL. Dunno how much interaction takes her off the online GF title, but just saying since Venom said IRL girlfriend.

I remembered another instance to ask about, I'll add to the OP.

- Admin breaking into a user's account and destroying their game profile (Ruining their gameplay, making them lose stuff, etc.) all because he deemed the user's account info not secure enough and just to make a point of account security.

[ramble/my opinion](In this instance, BTW, the destruction wasn't reversed. In fact, most people claimed it was the "hacked" user's fault for not having secure enough log in details. Which, IMO is a dumb thing to say, as the root admin on a site he coded, he could see the person's pass full out, it wasn't like he guessed it. Even if he did guess it, it's still wrong to ruin an account all to prove a point. That person didn't do anything besides, allegedly, having a poor pass. Not only that, but you just basically gave the green light to your entire memberbase that it's okay to hack other people's accounts.) [/ramble/my opinion]

Report Spam   Logged

Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »

Well if you've only met someone once IRL they are not your girlfriend. Just my thoughts on that.

As for the hacking for "security" purposes, that just seems low to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
Picard
Tamamo-no-Mae
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Beyond the Horizon

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »

- Admin breaking into a user's account and destroying their game profile (Ruining their gameplay, making them lose stuff, etc.) all because he deemed the user's account info not secure enough and just to make a point of account security.

[ramble/my opinion](In this instance, BTW, the destruction wasn't reversed. In fact, most people claimed it was the "hacked" user's fault for not having secure enough log in details. Which, IMO is a dumb thing to say, as the root admin on a site he coded, he could see the person's pass full out, it wasn't like he guessed it. Even if he did guess it, it's still wrong to ruin an account all to prove a point. That person didn't do anything besides, allegedly, having a poor pass. Not only that, but you just basically gave the green light to your entire memberbase that it's okay to hack other people's accounts.) [/ramble/my opinion]

That is just wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

Weirdo
Elite

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search Apple User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »

I would say that maybe it's not that bad if he fixed it afterwards, you know it's a good reminder. However the way he did it is just cruel.
Report Spam   Logged

Shameless self promotion : Any Last Words
DarkToph
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:40:14 pm »

I would say that maybe it's not that bad if he fixed it afterwards, you know it's a good reminder. However the way he did it is just cruel.
Exactly. I thought it was pretty harsh doing that, even thinking he had reversed it. Not changing it and saying it's your own fault is just....Jeez. Poor guy didn't even do anything.

Then again, this guy (The admin) had also tried to scold members for having poor passes by posting a list of the most common "Stupid" passwords of members on his site. (Yeah, apparently he had nothing better to do than scan all the passwords on his site for ones that were dumb just to point out they were stupid and not secure.) Which is basically just telling every latent pass cracker "Hey, here's a list of the most common, easy, passwords on the site. Have at it!" That was....stupid, hence my last sentence, but if people see that kind of post they may be apt to change their current one.

There really has to be a better way than that if account security is such an issue. Like making it so you have to have at least one capital, one number, one symbol, etc. in the pass. Or something like that. There has to be some method better than these two....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum