Aisenfield
March 28, 2024, 01:30:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sometimes when I get mad, I kill people...

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pokemon Gyms and the Battle Frontier

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokemon Gyms and the Battle Frontier  (Read 318 times)
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »

To be honest, after playing D/P/P, I already have all the basic knowledge of every gym in 4th Generation, and am a veteran Gym-defeater, now making up random teams with unconventional Pokemon in the cartridge games to battle my way through them. Yet the Frontiers of each series have continued to elude me, and to date I've obtained three out of twelve symbols, all in Emerald and at Lvl 50 Silver Standard. So not brilliant then...

I must say, I prefer the Battle Frontier to the Pokemon Gyms, as the Frontier gives areas which are more like the Gyms I envisioned facing by 4th Gen, at very least 5th Generation should be taking hints for their gyms from the Frontier areas. The Battle Factory for one would make an awesome gym, but rather than having it, combining it with the Battle Arcade to make a randomising Gym. You'd go in with your normal team, and have three battles before the Leader himself/herself. However, a rolette wheel would determine whether the battle would be 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, or 4 vs. 4 Double Battle, and the Factory part would be randomising your opponents team, albeit fitting the average level of your team, which would be the total level of your team divided by the number of Pokemon on your team. Similarly, the Gym Leader would have a same thing happening, except against them the choices would be 3 vs. 3; 4 vs. 4 Double Battle or 6 vs. 6 Double Battle. Obviously, this would be a Gym which could be anywhere between your 4th to 8th Gym, being on the mainland in an easy-to-reach area, so therefore the battling would be very different to normal. While it sounds difficult in theory, in practice it would probably be fine.

After facing down 35 different Gym Leaders over four generations, and taking on a grand total of 5 of the 12 Frontier Brains, I'm just wondering what other people think of each sector of the battling.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

TBH I hate the Battle Frontier. I don't like having my Pokemon's levels set to some silly standard the game developers came up with. I really can't even remember any of the Frontier Brains or their particular challenges because I never spent much time battling them. If I were to suggest a change to the gyms for the 5th gen, my personal choice would be higher levels and better enemy AI. I guess I just prefer the idea of me and my Pokemon versus the Gym leader and his Pokemon with no strings attached.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »

TBH I hate the Battle Frontier. I don't like having my Pokemon's levels set to some silly standard the game developers came up with. I really can't even remember any of the Frontier Brains or their particular challenges because I never spent much time battling them.
This pretty much describes my opinion toward the Frontier. As for gyms, they can be challenging or ridiculously easy, depending primarily on what Pokemon you're using, the level gap (made moot with some Pokemon, like grass types versus Rock/Ground), and the AI of the leader. If they MUST make a fifth generation or, higher powers willing, make an all-primary-region-encompassing game, they need to improve upon the AI in general, as well as Pokemon choices and move selections. I'd also hope that each gym leader has a minimum of three Pokemon, as opposed to two, which is how it started out in the original version.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum