Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 05:34:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sometimes when I get mad, I kill people...

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Double-Posting

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double-Posting  (Read 1760 times)
America
And I'll be the hero!
Resident

Alfred/America [Hetalia: Axis Powers]

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »

I have to agree with Starman and CM.

Double posts are not necessary. That's why we have a nifty edit/modify button.

If a forum were to allow double posts for "relevant stuff" (that can be added by editing anyway), then it is tricky to do, as then people start to argue over what is "relevant enough" for a new post. It's not useful to allow double posting.

Arguing is what I do best.  Anyway, "double posts are not necessary?"  I'm afraid that they are in certain cases.  For example, the art threads (writing is included) and character profile threads.  Also, they are most definitely needed for posting relevant info in Worldly Media.  Editing can only go so far, since it's not always reliable to say that "Hey!  Somebody edited something!  Let's go check it out~! 8D" on the side.

That's something left to be decided with the mods.  If an argument erupts, they should take it up to the mods and have them judge whether the double-post is allowed to live or die.  I'm sorry to say that we members cannot delete posts, only report them.

Also, the PM thing.  Some people might ignore it or (this just pertains to the RP thread) they might even glance at it, then look at the thread, and find that they can't post because they have no idea what they should post.  The idea flat lines. (This happens to me a lot) Then you find that nobody else posted, so what's the creator to do?  Let the thread die when there are still people interested in it?  The creator is gonna want to post something new to give people a better opening and possibly a better idea of what to do/say/whatever.  At least, that's how *I* feel about my RP's. :/
Report Spam   Logged

"To love someone... It is not to shut one's eyes to the other, nor to block one's ears to the truth... To love one another... Is to walk through life together... Open your eyes, open your ears... Look at each other... and together seek the best path for the both of you." -Endrance, .hack//G.U. Reminisce

*Didn't draw the icon.  I don't know who did, but they're amazing and they deserve the credit.
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 01:17:23 pm »

Arguing is what I do best.  Anyway, "double posts are not necessary?"  I'm afraid that they are in certain cases.  For example, the art threads (writing is included) and character profile threads.

Course they are necessary in topics where double posting is already allowed. They are allowed aren't they? It would make no sense if they weren't allowed in writing threads XP

^^ What I mean is the rest of the topics that people want double posting to be allowed in.

Media seems to be the prominent suggestion. I'm not convinced it's needed, hmm find me one thread in media that could do with a double post rather than an edit. I've looked through now and I can't see the necessity for double posting. I was trying to find a thread there where I had been the last to double post but I can't. =)

I don't know much about roleplaying, but surely that works via multiple roleplayers, and I guess all one can do is PM participants to remind them to post their parts so it can continue.
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 01:24:39 am »

"They're not necessary" is a lousy excuse. It doesn't have to be necessary - in fact, very little is, both on the forum and in real life. For an impromptu example, um... Why do I have a computer? I could write reports by hand rather than in a word processor. I could engage in long-distance communications over the telephone, if I so desired. I don't have to download games on my computer, because I could just shop around town until I find what I'm looking for. None of the services offered by my computer are necessary. They're just convenient.

They make life easier and they don't hurt anyone or anything. What I want to know is this: how are double/triple/four-or-moreble posts in any way detrimental?
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Malibu
Global Moderator
Resident

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 06:08:49 am »

"They're not necessary" is a lousy excuse. It doesn't have to be necessary - in fact, very little is, both on the forum and in real life. For an impromptu example, um... Why do I have a computer? I could write reports by hand rather than in a word processor. I could engage in long-distance communications over the telephone, if I so desired. I don't have to download games on my computer, because I could just shop around town until I find what I'm looking for. None of the services offered by my computer are necessary. They're just convenient.

They make life easier and they don't hurt anyone or anything. What I want to know is this: how are double/triple/four-or-moreble posts in any way detrimental?

It would cause more hassle and not actually make life easier because everyone would start to argue over what is relevant etc. Seeing as people have different ideas of relevancy, it would be chaotic and there would be lots of arguments. I can just see a moderator deleting an irrelevant double post, or merging the posts... and someone getting upset over it and arguing that it was relevant even though the mod saw it as spammish. I can see that happening a lot, as it's going to happen with allowing those sorts of things in a forum.
What happens after double posts? Triple posts...quadruple posts? In a multi-person forum. That's insane. The threads allowed in, like character profile, fan-fictions.. it's allowed because the topic is kind of dependant on one person I guess, in the other threads where it isn't allowed, a topic would be needless if it was just one person making posts for however many posts are needed before they realize that no one else is interested, but if we allow double posting then it could mean topics bump off topics that multiple people are interested in from the first page. So then you got people staring at these topics with some person having a conversation with themselves.. oh wait, a "relevant" conversation.. and thinking.. o_O wth? . The root idea of not allowing double posting is that there are other people to post and open a discussion with you about whatever subject.
It's insane to allow triple posting in common threads, obviously the builders of forums think so too or else they wouldn't have an edit button.

I guess the real problem with it is defining what is relevant, allowing double posting.. and triple posting and 4 posts in a row you say? It's just going to lead the staff and members to argue over what relevancy means to them.

I happen to think the edit button is more convenient and double posting unnecessary. It's not an excuse because as I said before forum builders obviously thought that the edit button is an awesome convenience for everyone.
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 12:41:01 pm »

I would definitely be siding with Renn on this issue IF we were on a forum with more than ten or so active members. I mean honestly, as long as this forum has been up and the users here have known each other do you really think we would have some huge arguments over what is relevant or not? I mean sure the mods may not see some stuff as relevant like we members do but that seems to be happening alot lately. Anyways I just don't see double posting as a huge detriment to the site with such a low and concentrated number of active members. However anything taken beyond that such as triple and quadruple posting could then be considered unnecessary.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
Chey
Resident

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:42:14 pm »

I've got a question that runs in a similar vein but isn't to do with double posting, I don't feel it's necessary to make an entire new thread on the matter though..

Is the "if a thread has been inactive for 30 days it's dead" rule really necessary when the forum itself is half dead anyways? I'm not taking a shot at Tyren or anything here but I posted my welcome message to MightyMike in his welcome thread because it was like, the fifth thread down or something, and it got a lock. Not a fantastic example but I didn't think that if the thread was still on the first page (and not even halfway down the page) it'd warrant a lock.

I mean, even in the Finding One's Way section, the second thread is one that's been dead for over a month and that's the second freakin' thread, meaning that in this section we only have this thread that we are technically allowed to still post in without the thread getting locked. The Pokemon section only has about 4 "active" topics yet the rest that are over 30 days old are still wayyy high up the list, same thing goes with the debate forum, the roleplay sections are all dead barring 2 or 3 threads, etc.

Do we really need to lock threads that are on the first page (and so far up the first page that they still appear active)? To any new members who may be looking to join it doesn't look good when discussions on the first page are all being locked due to necro posting even if the thread was the second or third thread on the first page. If it was the last thread on the last page of a section it'd be different but to lock more active looking threads on the first page just makes the forum look like a graveyard.
Report Spam   Logged
Malibu
Global Moderator
Resident

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:24 am »

I've got a question that runs in a similar vein but isn't to do with double posting, I don't feel it's necessary to make an entire new thread on the matter though..

Is the "if a thread has been inactive for 30 days it's dead" rule really necessary when the forum itself is half dead anyways? I'm not taking a shot at Tyren or anything here but I posted my welcome message to MightyMike in his welcome thread because it was like, the fifth thread down or something, and it got a lock. Not a fantastic example but I didn't think that if the thread was still on the first page (and not even halfway down the page) it'd warrant a lock.

I mean, even in the Finding One's Way section, the second thread is one that's been dead for over a month and that's the second freakin' thread, meaning that in this section we only have this thread that we are technically allowed to still post in without the thread getting locked. The Pokemon section only has about 4 "active" topics yet the rest that are over 30 days old are still wayyy high up the list, same thing goes with the debate forum, the roleplay sections are all dead barring 2 or 3 threads, etc.

Do we really need to lock threads that are on the first page (and so far up the first page that they still appear active)? To any new members who may be looking to join it doesn't look good when discussions on the first page are all being locked due to necro posting even if the thread was the second or third thread on the first page. If it was the last thread on the last page of a section it'd be different but to lock more active looking threads on the first page just makes the forum look like a graveyard.

I do agree on your points actually Chey. It is a bit weird to be locking threads still on the first page due to inactivity. Of course, Tyren can't be blame as he is upholding the rules, but maybe the 30 day rule is something that needs to be taken in to consideration for adjustment.
Report Spam   Logged

-Winds Of Water
Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51:42 am »

I would definitely be siding with Renn on this issue IF we were on a forum with more than ten or so active members. I mean honestly, as long as this forum has been up and the users here have known each other do you really think we would have some huge arguments over what is relevant or not? I mean sure the mods may not see some stuff as relevant like we members do but that seems to be happening alot lately. Anyways I just don't see double posting as a huge detriment to the site with such a low and concentrated number of active members. However anything taken beyond that such as triple and quadruple posting could then be considered unnecessary.
*coughthiswasoverlookedcough*
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
camelothux

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:44 am »

love it
Report Spam   Logged
CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 03:33:17 pm »

thanks, camelothux!
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Paul the Abstinence Panther
Resident

No, Paddleton, no!!!

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Linux User Combination
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:23 pm »

love it

Thanks, Camelo! I was about to give my insight into the matter and contribute to the debate at hand, but you beat me to it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
CM
ovelrord
Resident

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 07:13:01 pm »

I believe it's Camelot Hux.
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

Paul the Abstinence Panther
Resident

No, Paddleton, no!!!

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Linux User Combination
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 02:11:18 am »

I believe it's Camel o' Thux.
Report Spam   Logged
CM
ovelrord
Resident

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »

you're
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

CM
ovelrord
Resident

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 03:13:41 pm »

incorrect!
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum