Aisenfield
April 19, 2024, 01:57:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Double-Posting

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double-Posting  (Read 1763 times)
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:20:10 pm »

Okay, so I know Terak is following the rules and I agree that double-posting can be a bad thing if unnecessary such as the thread we saw with those to idiots arguing over Pokemon names. However, for certain threads that haven't been posted in for a while, I believe that double-posting may be necessary to bring it back on everyone's radar.

For instance in roleplays: the topic creator posts to notify everyone of what's going on or that they're gonna be waiting a bit before they post. No one else replies in the thread and a few days go by. The RP descends to the bottom of the page and it is unnoticed by fellow RPers. If the most recent post is merely edited, then the thread isn't put back up to the top of the page like it should be.

I really don't feel like PM'ing everyone in the RP to let them know it started, because that's retarded.

Also, in CM's Minecraft thread; there was at least a week between those two posts and it was vital information to the topic. I never would have known the new server was up if it hadn't been for that post.

I've been thinking about competition updates, as well. (Speaking of which, I have to go update it.) Suppose I make a post to remind everyone to hurry up and submit. Then no one submits/posts. Am I supposed to wait for someone to tell me to hurry up?

So doubleposting really isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. Sure, it can be a very good way to spam, but we Aisenfielders don't do that. We frown upon spamming if memory serves me correctly. I'm pretty sure a few doubleposts here and there that are vital to thread survival won't hurt anyone.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been permanently banned from Aisenfield.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »

People have varied stances when it comes to the subject of double posting. Still, although I won't promise that any outcome from this discussion will change our stance on the rule, as long as the input remains factual and respectful, I'm interested in hearing what members have to say regarding the issue. You're entitled to have your own opinion, after all. Try and carefully weigh the pros and cons.
Report Spam   Logged
Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:12 am »

I agree with you here, but don't we already do that? I mean the only thing I've seen is someone getting a verbal warning for posting something the second time that's pretty random. *Cough*Whooty*Cough*
Report Spam   Logged
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:02 am »

I agree with you here, but don't we already do that? I mean the only thing I've seen is someone getting a verbal warning for posting something the second time that's pretty random. *Cough*Whooty*Cough*
Terak's been making a lot of threats lately when he edits double posts.
Report Spam   Logged

CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:23:31 am »

oh hey

As long as the the subsequent post contributes relevant, intelligent content to the thread, and the last post is old enough for the bumping effect to come into play, then I'm a total supporter of double posting. As long you're not spamming, flaming or otherwise breaking the rules, I see nothing wrong with it.
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
XeroZega
Grim Reaper
Overlord

Aisenfielder #7: Lord of Lightining.

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Search
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:54:38 am »

oh hey

As long as the the subsequent post contributes relevant, intelligent content to the thread, and the last post is old enough for the bumping effect to come into play, then I'm a total supporter of double posting. As long you're not spamming, flaming or otherwise breaking the rules, I see nothing wrong with it.
Such as double posting in a thread based on a form of entertainment in which new information has just been released. If you were the last person to post, and you have found this new info, you may want to share it with others and make sure that others see it.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been declared amazingly awesome.
STARMAN15
Resident

Level 5 Level 4 Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:12 am »

I would not be opposed to it in the forms that are mentioned above. For example in "Worldly Media" I was the last one to post in the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" thread. Well, before HP6 I saw the first trailer for the movie, and I would like to post about it, but since I was the last one, I would have to edit my post and it might or might not be seen as it is almost halfway down the page. I believe that in these circumstances and these circumstances alone should a member be able to double post.
Report Spam   Logged

Please click me to help me grow!!!!!
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:07 pm »

Not wanting to message people during a role-play is just lazy in my opinion. They are going to notice a PM far quicker than a new post in any case.

If people have forgotten to submit for a competition, they obviously aren't visiting that thread, so what's more effective, a double post that breaks the rules or a simple PM. You can send PMs to multiple users.

Erm just quoting something Zarean said about this, which I think is helpful to know:

It's not entirely true that there is no notification of Edits. While the Topic's post count can't increase, if someone has edited an already existing post, the topic will change and it will say "New" to the side of the topic's name, meaning something new had been done

Double posts are not necessary. That's why we have a nifty edit/modify button.

If a forum were to allow double posts for "relevant stuff" (that can be added by editing anyway), then it is tricky to do, as then people start to argue over what is "relevant enough" for a new post. It's not useful to allow double posting.

Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:46 pm »

Erm just quoting something Zarean said about this, which I think is helpful to know:

It's not entirely true that there is no notification of Edits. While the Topic's post count can't increase, if someone has edited an already existing post, the topic will change and it will say "New" to the side of the topic's name, meaning something new had been done
I agree with you on the messaging part Malibu, isn't that how things worked on Crater cause it sure did work. But when you edit a post there isn't always a "new" thing on the side of the topic. I can remember many times where it hadn't said nothing and I looked to remember what was going on in the thread and see the last person having edited something into their posts
Report Spam   Logged
Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 11:57:22 am »

I agree with Renn as well on the messaging issue but I have to argue that double posting in the manner as presented by CM and Starman present no real threat for spamming or triple, quadruple, etc. posting dut to our smaller numbers here on Aisenfield.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
Oyashiro-sama
Mu?
Resident

Hau au!

Mobile User Level 5 Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »

God, I've never been good at this discussion thing, but here goes. First off, we do already allow double posting, but only in specific threads. Why only in those specific threads? Because the double post has to contain relevant information. The threads I'm talking about are the review threads that we have up. If we can double post in those with relevant information, i.e. a review, then why not in other threads with relevant information?
Report Spam   Logged

Video Game Favorites
Sho Minamimoto(character)(TWEWY)
LoZ: Twilight Princess(Favorite Video Game)
Nagrarok(Favorite weapon name)(FFTA2)
Never Ending Journey(Music)(Lost Odyssey)

While my friend was putting on his seatbelt, he touched his hot sister's butt.
Incest at it's finest...
Baron von Redberry
Banned Member
Warned Members
Addict

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:06:55 pm »

Because movies are the only relevant topic. Ever.
Report Spam   Logged

Doru
The Muffin Man
Elite

Bang!

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 12:42:21 am »

No, there's more than one, like games. I just realized about that review thread but yeah the main things have been exempt from the double posting rule.
Report Spam   Logged
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:47:20 am »

God, I've never been good at this discussion thing, but here goes. First off, we do already allow double posting, but only in specific threads. Why only in those specific threads? Because the double post has to contain relevant information. The threads I'm talking about are the review threads that we have up. If we can double post in those with relevant information, i.e. a review, then why not in other threads with relevant information?

It's really only allowed in specific threads as it's pretty universal what is deemed as relevant information in those threads.

But when staff think over allowing double posts in other threads, I think they just foresee arguments and no clarity over what is relevant.
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
STARMAN15
Resident

Level 5 Level 4 Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:28 am »

But even in other threads it seems as though it would be easy to see what is relevant and what is just spam. I don't think that people should double post unless the topic is out of date. Mainly all of this goes under the "Worldly Media" titles where we have one topic for a show/book/movie that gets ignored until a prequel/sequel/new season comes on and people start discussing it again.

Also, even though the "New" button appears *sometimes* (I've had it appear on edits, and sometimes it doesn't... I don't know why really) if the topic is so far down the page, especially where one would have to scroll down at all to see it, there's a better than average chance that it will go unnoticed.
Report Spam   Logged

Please click me to help me grow!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum