Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 01:23:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Put down the sandwich and step away from the hobo!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

DT's Dungeon of Horrors!!! =O Oh and it's a blog too....(PG-13 for swearing)

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT's Dungeon of Horrors!!! =O Oh and it's a blog too....(PG-13 for swearing)  (Read 39179 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4830 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »

184 – From Ghost to Ghost: DT’s attempt at getting excited for Ash’s fourth Johto Gym Badge Take 2! *snap* Aaaaaaaaaannnnddd ACTION!

We’re FINALLY ACTUALLY FOR REALZY REALZ at the fourth Gym match now. That title is giving me an ulcer and that’s all I have to say except YAY GYM MATCH! WHOO!!

- Why does the Pokedex have no information on Gengar again? This is the third time Ash has tried to Dex one with no info available. It’s not that rare of a Pokemon – surely they’ve been extensively researched, at least enough for a quick Dex entry.

Also, not going to throw a ‘Why use the Pokedex?’ note at Ash here since, even though he’s encountered several Gengar and Dexed them twice, the Pokedex keeps screwing him over.

- I absolutely love those moments when they use the Pokemon All Healed music from the games in the anime…..Even if it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

- First they say the treasure detector was lost when they blasted off, now they say it was blasted off with them. Did they have to add in this line when the dubbers realized he still had it?

- I dunno why, but it find it kinda adorable when Meowth gets all goo-goo eyed over a new charm.

- Misty: “Not another Ghost-type!” Oh dear, who ever could’ve guessed he’d choose another Ghost-Type? Morty, the Ghost-Type Gym Leader who protects a haunted tower, has a name derived from death and has only shown to own Ghost-Type Pokemon! This was totally a surprise!

- Swift is a Normal move yet it hit Haunter without it being affected by Foresight. I think I’ll give the writers some leeway here because Swift is known as a move that never misses, so it seems like a good ability to use on the super speedy Haunter, but they should’ve done a bit more research here.

- Meowth: “Ahhh, cat food that don’t taste like a cat.” Huh??…..!!!!!….!??!?!

- Morty: “Taking that Night Shade at such close range canceled the Confuse Ray’s effects!” Tsk……….Yeah, sure, let’s go with that.

- I thought Confusion in the anime was shorthand for Telepathy. Or does it just do whatever it feels like when the time calls for it?

- Why use the Pokedex? Ash should definitely know what Confusion is by now. For God’s sake, Misty’s Psyduck knows it.

- Morty: “I’ve never seen a Pokemon learn an attack during a Gym Match.” Then you don’t know Ash because it happens to him quite often.

Also, I would ding him more for this, but learning moves during battles does happen, it’s just that it shouldn’t/can’t happen in the middle of a match, IE – if you beat one Pokemon and gained experience enough to level and gain an attack before the next match started, that’d be fine, but Ash tends to have Pokemon learn moves when they’re in the middle of a match, which shouldn’t be possible. I guess it’s possible they learned a move the last time they leveled and never did it before now, but it’s always conveyed as them having learned the move in the moment.
- Morty: “Noctowl must want to fulfill the trust Ash has in his Pokemon.” Again, sure, let’s go with that.

- Ash: “Noctowl, send Confusion through the whole building!” Noctowl, negate the accuracy levels of your attack! They have no power here!

I’ll let it slide though. By all means, I should just be happy that 1) Messiahchu barely had any standing in this battle, 2) Noctowl, a great Pokemon in its own right and one standing up for all the tossed aside bird Pokemon Ash gets, getting the spotlight and 3) Noctowl being a badass and learning a new awesome move.

- Ash: *In reference to his badge* “We waited a long time for this one.” I waited even longer…

--------------------------------

Overall, I liked this episode, but it was a tiny bit underwhelming for a Gym match – Just a tiny bit. I like Morty, and I love Ghost Pokemon, especially Haunter. Plus, as I said before, it’s so nice to have a big match where a Pokemon besides Pikachu is the ace in the hole who gets to kick ass the whole way through.

I didn’t have many issues with how the match played out. In fact, it had really good rhythm. In addition to Pikachu not getting the spotlight here, it was damn near useless, which surprised me quite a bit, but was more than welcome as a change of pace.

I was also misinformed on the Ho-Oh and Suicune episode as that’s almost fifty episodes from now. Oh well. At least they have the set-up done with here, so hopefully it’ll be a nice revisit.

Team Rocket, thankfully, didn’t barge in on the Gym match this time, but their scenes still interrupted the flow of battle briefly and took me out of the moment. I wouldn’t have minded their scenes at all if they were placed differently.

As for how long it will take us to get to the next Gym – 27 episodes. That’s not terribly unreasonable, but it definitely seems like an eon with how long I take to make these reviews.

Next episode, the Eevee bros. have female kimono wearing clones!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum