Aisenfield
April 19, 2024, 06:38:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "I have no idea what's going on here." -Cieluscian

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What's the right age to marry/love/sex?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the right age to marry/love/sex?  (Read 804 times)
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:29:07 pm »

Should we ignore the relativism of each country/culture...or are there certain universal 'guidelines' that is human nature to believe in.

What prompted this was:
http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/02/10/8-year-old-married-off-to-47-year-old-man/2#comments

=/ All I could think about was my 8 year old sister being married.
What do you think of the article?

It's very late so I can't fit much else I'd like to say in so *posts*
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:41 pm »

I don't think there's a set age for that stuff. But you definitely have to be SURE that you're ready for all of the above. (And are within the legal age limits. But that's not what we're discussing.)

I mean, you can control marriage and sex but you can't control love.

I think actual children, like 13 and under, have no clue what love means and shouldn't even be contemplating sex or marriage until they get older so they can fully understand. (Though, with teenage pregnancies on the rise and the ages of said women getting younger and younger, age doesn't seem to play a part anymore..)

I say it's not the age, it's the intelligence level of the two people involved. For love anyway. Sex is another matter. Wait until you are ready to take the possible ramifications of having sex before you even consider it.

This article is sort of irrelevant to the question being asked because when I first saw the topic, I was figuring this was about the above subject. (What's the right age to fall in love, get married, have sex etc.)
This article is just wrong.

The mere thought of an eight year old marrying someone who's almost eight times her age is mind-blowing enough. I was ready to call "****!!" right there by the subject matter. Eight isn't nearly old enough to have maturity level needed to sort out everything about love and the trials of marriage and definitely isn't old enough to be having sex. (Though, evidently, the guy she's marrying has made a vow that he will not have sex with her until she's reached puberty. That's still pedophilia, though.)

I know different cultures have different views on things, and I know this isn't rare, but come on...

The reason I said this article is basically irrelevant to the topic is because she didn't fall in love with this guy; she's basically being sold as a slave.

She's being married off to this guy because her dad needed to repay a debt!? Forgive my swearing, but THAT LITTLE CHICKENS**T!!

That's your daughter, your little eight year old daughter! Not even old enough to really live her life yet and you're selling her because you couldn't pay off a debt?! Be a freakin' man and find another way to repay it, or why don't YOU take the heat? Don't trade away your daughter's future all because of financial issues...

I know if I ever had an eight year old daughter and I desperately needed to repay a debt I'd never even consider trading her for a day, let alone the rest of her life. If I was threatened or whatever, let them do whatever they want. They'd never kill ya, because as the old saying goes "You can't squeeze money out of a dead man." Beatings, torture, whatever. Anything besides pawning off your daughter like she's some old watch.

I feel really bad for her, as well as her mother. She's trying to stop all this and there's nothing she can do because apparently her opinion doesn't matter, only her husband's does.

The guy that's marrying her is nothing but a sick freak. Anyone who'd agree to such an arrangement is just going to use that poor girl for every last thing she's worth. And worst of all there's nothing she or anyone else can do about it.

Poor kid....
Report Spam   Logged

Paul the Abstinence Panther
Resident

No, Paddleton, no!!!

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Linux User Combination
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:41 am »

Well I think the universal age should be around 16, but I think that about a lot of things. I think things that can mentally hurt you if taken the wrong way should be 16 (depending) and things that can physically hurt you should be available at 18 (also depending.) If you're curious as to what I mean when I say depending, I think tobacco and alcohol should be legal at 18, but knives and matches should be available at 16. Also, consensual sex and **** I think should be 16, while being in **** and political positions (unrelated, I know) should still be 18.

That's your daughter, your little eight year old daughter! Not even old enough to really live her life yet and you're selling her because you couldn't pay off a debt?! Be a freakin' man and find another way to repay it, or why don't YOU take the heat? Don't trade away your daughter's future all because of financial issues...

I know if I ever had an eight year old daughter and I desperately needed to repay a debt I'd never even consider trading her for a day, let alone the rest of her life. If I was threatened or whatever, let them do whatever they want. They'd never kill ya, because as the old saying goes "You can't squeeze money out of a dead man." Beatings, torture, whatever. Anything besides pawning off your daughter like she's some old watch.

The only situation I could think of that would even give remote credibility to this guy's actions would be if his debt was making it so that he couldn't provide for his family. I think that if his wife and daughter would otherwise starve to death, it's still a dick move, but an understandable one.
Report Spam   Logged
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »

The question of the topic was kind of vague when I wrote it o_o sort of leaning towards a whether we have the right idea of the right age in the 'west' or do we have to just accept the relativism of it all.

o.o The question was less of a general thing (though not well worded) but more angled towards whether the 'right age' can be universalized across cultures.

As for the article, I was stunned at what the judge said. o.o as though it's some sort of great opportunity for an 8 year old and we're being selfish, trying to take it away from her. How twisted.. they are taking away her very childhood.
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:46:05 pm »

The mere thought of an eight year old marrying someone who's almost eight times her age is mind-blowing enough.
Um... DT, it's almost six time her age...

Yeah, that's just gross... All I can think of is this guy's **** tearing her **** to shreds. I mean for a girl to have her cherry popped should be something she reflects back upon with good memories. Not this.

Anyways, I think that the only way to prevent this is either improve women's rights internationally. However, this will take a few decades if not a hundred years or so. The only other way is to kill off everyone except for one religion. Then again, we'd just be doing the holocaust all over again. I don't think this would have happened if Arabian women had more rights. Her, husband should have spoken up for her daughter, too, but no; he's a pusillanimous cun7 nugget.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been permanently banned from Aisenfield.
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »

The mere thought of an eight year old marrying someone who's almost eight times her age is mind-blowing enough.
Whoops. Must've been stuck on saying eight. XP
Report Spam   Logged

Resident

No, Paddleton, no!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:28:38 am »

That would be WAY worse if he was almost her age squared. And I don't think killing off all but one religion would work, we're way too divided. Though that WOULD be a bitchin' way to cure our vast overpopulation.
Report Spam   Logged
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:49:14 am »

That would be WAY worse if he was almost her age squared. And I don't think killing off all but one religion would work, we're way too divided. Though that WOULD be a bitchin' way to cure our vast overpopulation.
I am euthanasian for the record. Death to retards.

Anyways, back on topic.

The woman in the video said that this stuff happens all the time around the world, but because women have no rights, they can't prevent this stuff and it's the father/husband's fault, because he was the one who birthed the idea to begin with and women aren't allowed to pursue law against their spouse.

I don't know. I hate that all the comments in those videos from someone who isn't American are usually "Shut up, you hypocritical American. You don't know anything." Honestly, I think we know a lot more about morals when it comes to this kind of stuff seeing as our country doesn't allow sexual abuse against children legally. I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but they could respect our views a little more no matter how ignorant the redneck Texans can be.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been permanently banned from Aisenfield.
Resident

No, Paddleton, no!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:56:08 am »

I am euthanasian for the record. Death to retards.

Anyways, back on topic.

The woman in the video said that this stuff happens all the time around the world, but because women have no rights, they can't prevent this stuff and it's the father/husband's fault, because he was the one who birthed the idea to begin with and women aren't allowed to pursue law against their spouse.

I don't know. I hate that all the comments in those videos from someone who isn't American are usually "Shut up, you hypocritical American. You don't know anything." Honestly, I think we know a lot more about morals when it comes to this kind of stuff seeing as our country doesn't allow sexual abuse against children legally. I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but they could respect our views a little more no matter how ignorant the redneck Texans can be.

Yeah, I try not to look at too many Youtube comments, because I always feel the urge to flame. Then I remember, though, that the people that post the retarded responses are their country's version of ignorant rednecks.

Also, I agree on being a euthanasian to a certain extent. However, I think it'd be in my best interests not to bring those views to the public.
Report Spam   Logged
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:39:31 am »

First off, that father needs to be shipped off to Arizona so I can show him the true meaning of desperation... And lots and lots of blood, bodily fluids, and limbs. Rest assured, I'll have fun with that.

Second, I believe anyone as young as 10 years old can love, seeing as that's when my first feelings of it came around. Those were great times... Any younger, it's a certified crush. As for marriage, the MINIMAL age should be 18, and regardless of the age you are, you must be fully ready to accept any and all responsibilities that come with the full-time job of marriage. As for sex?

They do it then anyway, and sometimes younger. Make it legal so they're not trying to hide it from the world nearly as much. That, and some people are honestly ready physically and mentally for sex by that point. I was, though I still know of no one who would come to bed with me here, let alone love. Not the point.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum