Aisenfield
April 20, 2024, 08:20:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

RP Subforum suggestion

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RP Subforum suggestion  (Read 970 times)
Crimson Curse

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:47:27 am »

Ok, the thing is, we have 3 sections for RPs of various genres. However, if you take a look at the 'Original RPs' section, you'd be looking at quite a number of RPs which are actually based off on a fandom topic for example Harry Potter, Heroes, various movies, comic books etc. So, instead of having separate sections for all such topics on whom the RPs are based off of, how 'bout just one subforum titled 'Other Fandom RPs'. This subforum would easily include any and every RP which are based on fandom topics; making the Original section strictly for RPs that are completely original.

So, I leave this poll as a method for you guys, our RP-ing populace, to express your views and/or suggestions on this question of mine. Any comments or further discussion on this matter is also welcome.

Regards,
Crimson Curse.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:54:28 am »

The unspoken law is that the Original RPs section also covers the unlisted fandoms, as you yourself have mentioned (Harry Potter, Heroes, movies, comics, etc). That said, I firmly believe that we do not require such an area.
Report Spam   Logged

LateForLunch
Newcomer

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:31:46 am »

Agreed. What's the point of calling it 'Original RPs' if they're not original?
Report Spam   Logged

"If one could run without getting tired, I don't think one would often want to do anything else."

--C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle
Nature_Dragon_Vivi
Queen of the Dragons
Resident

Happy Emo Chick

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:07:12 am »

If it's not an original idea that you created then it belongs there, but if it's based off of something else then it doesn't belong there. So, yes, we do need it.
Report Spam   Logged

I dont need a reset button, if I fail once thats it, I don't need to do it again.
"When I was your age, Pluto was a planet, and there were only 150 pokemon."
I have a curse for you all.... may all your bacon burn. =P

I Nature_Dragon_Vivi here by claim the following characters:
Zelda And her alter ego Sheik, Midna, Samus, Ike, Marth, Yoshi, Kalas (Baten Kaitos), All Characters from TALES OF SYMPHONNIA and SKIES OF ARCADIA. Of course I must state that I am indeed unclaimable.
XeroZega
Grim Reaper
Overlord

Aisenfielder #7: Lord of Lightining.

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Search
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 01:24:27 pm »

Why don't we just have an "Other" section?
Original RPs doesn't fit for RPs based off of books, movies, tv shows, etc.
Original RPs should be for RPs spawned purely from imagination with no alternate background from existing works.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been declared amazingly awesome.
EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »

No, we don't need it, to be perfectly honest.

We didn't have a problem on Crater, and in fact the reason we had Pkmn RPs was because it was a Pkmn forum, not because there were loads. There are no original ideas anymore, as everything can be placed under the other in that respect, for it is based upon an idea of a sort, which no doubt someone somewhere else will have had. It's far simpler to have what we have now.

I mean, what can be placed there? I can vouch for my "original roleplay" Nephilim that I have currently made... that isn't Original Roleplay material. The original idea came from a lack of angelic roleplays, and therefore I put some research into Wiki to find some topic or topics to copy from. It has traces of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in it, but is mainly based upon a board game of the same name.
Zega's god roleplay, where they're all demi-gods... again, not original, as I was a part of Guardians of the Universe which was, at the most basic of levels, fundamentally the same idea. Racing roleplays are all based around either current games or entertainment, or futuristic racers are from NFS or F-Zero, or at least can be argued to be influenced by them.

It's personally Ciel's choice, but I don't think the request will happen.
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:54:35 pm »

Just because you think everything is based off of something else, some of us might actually have original ideas.

Besides, I've always been confused why everything that is based off of something else is considered original.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been permanently banned from Aisenfield.
EHW
Addict

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »

Look - it's my opinion, not stated fact.

Regardless, you have a point, but the only way to remedy said problem in my mind would be to add a sub-forum for each different type, like Movie Roleplay etc. etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

XeroZega
Grim Reaper
Overlord

Aisenfielder #7: Lord of Lightining.

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Search
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »

With your logic, technically Everything is unoriginal as everything takes some sort of idea from some other source.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been declared amazingly awesome.
Psycho French Horn Almighty God of Soccer Tennis Bugler
Banned Member
Warned Members
Elite

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 04:46:55 pm »

That would work, too. Sorry, it's just that most of my original roleplays are actually thought up from the ass up. One of them's turning into a book even, and I must say it's pretty sick.
Report Spam   Logged

This member has been permanently banned from Aisenfield.
Crimson Curse

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:05 am »

Tyren: What you say is quite right, but having the proposed subforum would make everything more organized.

LFL and Vivi: Well, yes, which is exactly why I started this topic to discuss and know about what others think regarding this matter.

Zega: Yeah, that's what I've suggested. 'Other Fandom RPs' would include every RP that is based off of anything that doesn't fit under Anime or video games.

EHW: For one thing, I won't call it a request; it's merely a suggestion. And as you rightfully said, the final decision is, of course, DB's.

Secondly, in regard to what you have put forward, yes, I'll say that your new RP would belong to the Original section. What I'm saying is, if you've made an RP basing on the dynamics, style, etc. of an existing media franchise, it's original as long as you have a major role in bending and customizing the plot elements and/or any other things. For example, there have been many Angels-vs-Demons movies, games and whatnot, and your basic idea may have been/is inspired from them, but you have customized some stuff to suit it to call it an Original RP.

Also, if we're talking about Pokemon, it's gonna be belonging to either the Anime or Video game section, but if we're using the concept of Pokemon only, that is, we're making an RP where the plot says that we share our world with creatures which are unlike our earth animals, and we need to best them in order to save this world or something like that, and we give it a title like 'Creatures: The Invasion' or something, it does qualify for the Original section, if it has enough attributes that will be distinguishable from Pokemon, despite it belonging to the same 'other-creatures-coexist-with-us' gimmick.

And as I've already said, but I'll say it again, the Other Fandom section would include everything that is based off of an existing media franchise, whether they are movies, books, TV shows, etc, abolishing the need for a separate section for each genre.

Looking at the poll, people saying yes are ahead at the mo. Let's see what other RPers have to say on this matter.

Report Spam   Logged
Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 08:41:17 am »

I've a better idea. Rename the Original RP section as Miscellanious RPs, and put in its description that original AND other fandom-based RPs go there, as they do already. Would that satisfy you?
Report Spam   Logged

Crimson Curse

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:16 am »

That sounds like a good idea, too. It'd also save the trouble of creating another section. Maybe the others would agree with it also.
Report Spam   Logged
EHW
Addict

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:12 pm »

Go with Misc. RPs instead of Original - it solves all problems.
Report Spam   Logged

Kenta.....
Fallible Human Being
Esteemed Members
Resident

Emotionally Retarded

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:13 pm »

Here on Crimson Curse's request.  I think almost everything's been said already, but the poll results surprise me.

I don't think another subforum is needed, mainly for the reason that this site isn't popular enough.  In life, we have filing cabinets to keep multitudes of documents in order, but there aren't exactly hundreds of RPGs here, as there were in Pokemon Crater.  If we can navigate to them easily, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

Of course, you could follow the suggested change from the word "Original" to "Miscellanious," but to my ears it's really just a political correctness sort of thing.  I doubt its necessity, but if people want it . . . why not?
Report Spam   Logged

Recently discovered Pathfinder (modern D&D). Thanks for introducing me to the concepts all those years ago.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum