Aisenfield
April 19, 2024, 05:47:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Coming up next; When Mods and Admins Attack: The Terror of Aisenfield, right after this commercial break.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The 48 Laws of Power, True Or False?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 48 Laws of Power, True Or False?  (Read 948 times)
Toti
Darkness has come... To Steal from You.
Resident

I'll show you a sweet dream next night...

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 3
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:08 am »

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers
Link

How True do you think these are? I Find Most of them like Ben Franklin's Method for Achieving Moral Perfection
Link 

Do you agree/relate to these at all?  Do You agree with them? etc, etc.

[Edit] Can a Mod or admin please move this to Chaotic Gloria? Please and Thanks. Didn't realize i was in wrong section. My Apologies.
Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: News
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils
I KILLED Death and stole his scythe. Yes, it IS as bad-ass as it sounds.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kenji
Admincat
Administrator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

Harem Master

Nineth year Anniversary Search Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 20000 Posts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

Ugh... Why is it that even if I click on the right forum, it still takes any topics I move to the archives?

Anyway, I'll post my input on this debate later tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »

hah,,, *reads*

I'll do them one by one..gosh there are so many so I'll do a few to begin with then come back and do some more, I've read the first few and I have a strong desire to scream. 2 years ago I would have said something like..what a load of BS those..cowardly..-insert bad word- but now I have the restraint to explain logically why these so called laws are the acts of cowardly people (including myself) who don't really know who they are... I wonder if all politicians go by these laws... Smiley Okay..that was non-philosophical of me..and illogical, needed to get that out of my system before analysing these laws carefully.
How True do you think these are? I Find Most of them like Ben Franklin's Method for Achieving Moral Perfection
Link
I haven't followed that link yet but from the title 'Achieving Moral Perfection'... I could laugh...these 48 laws sound like the way to achieve moral imperfection.
These laws are so badly written...no examples or justification for each of them... no purposes set... grrrmmmmrmrrmrm. Okay.. now to do each one by one.

I can see them in real life... SOME people behave like this... they sound like they were written for people with big egos or something... who want to rise to power. But I don't want to choose to live by those laws... I suppose that could be the whole point of laws of power... they aren't very clear though are they.. laws of power..the people in power.. those who want it... those under someone else's control...

Okay now to finally do what I said I would do 2 paragraphs ago...
I'll do the first 3 for now.

Law 1

Never Outshine the Master

Always make those above you feel comfortably superior.  In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the opposite – inspire fear and insecurity.  Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power.

hmmm if the 'masters' are not very...what's a PC way to say this..sharp? Smart? then this works. I do it all the time, because it's not worth it to do otherwise...it's a way of not upsetting those in power...cowardly.
Just because you make your masters appear brilliant.... it doesn't follow that you will "attain the heights of power"..if anything it makes you less powerful, because you are actually giving these 'masters' power over you..making them believe they are not puppets or idiots when they are.

Law 2

Never put too Much Trust in Friends, Learn how to use Enemies

Be wary of friends-they will betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy.  They also become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove.  In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies.  If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.

All I can say is..Friends who betray you kind of don't live up to the definition of friend therefore these friends were never really your friends. I can't even make any other comment... it's beyond...ludicrous.

Law 3

Conceal your Intentions

Keep people off-balance and in the dark by never revealing the purpose behind your actions.  If they have no clue what you are up to, they cannot prepare a defense.  Guide them far enough down the wrong path, envelope them in enough smoke, and by the time they realize your intentions, it will be too late.

Yeh this is the law to being arrogant... I'll continue this later... it's quite late.
Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
Venom
Straightedge
Elite

The Heavy Metal Harbinger of Death

Apple User Mobile User Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:18:41 pm »

Lulz...I couldn't even make it through them all before laughing. What the hell were these guys thinking? Seriously....I don't even know what to say other than those have to be the most rediculous tips on life I've ever seen.
Report Spam   Logged

Xavier, making it rain on dem ho's XD. Credit to CM for the win pic.

*XBL Gamertag: xANTiVEN0Mx ... PSN ID: XMEGAVENOMX

"Only through struggle, have I found rest, but with a piece of me taken away. Remove from me this deception, that I called love" ~ As I Lay Dying
CM
ovelrord
Resident

Search Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

If there are still any opponents of the 48 Laws of Power, let them speak now. I have just finished reading the book from which these principles are taken (and which better illustrates and exemplifies them) and am ready to discuss it as an advocate of its teachings. It would seem that some of you misunderstand the intent of the Laws...
Report Spam   Logged

pıɐs ǝɥs 'ɟɹɐ

suıɐɯop ʇuǝıqɯɐ ʎןɥbıɥ ɹǝɥʇo puɐ ǝɔuɐuosǝɹ ɔıʇɐɯoɹɥɔuɐd pǝssǝɹdǝp-ןɐpǝd uı ɹoıʌɐɥǝq uosɹǝd-ʇɹoɥs ɟo ǝɔuɐɔıɟıubıs ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝpuod 'uoıʇɐɔıɟıpoɯ ɹǝɥʇɹnɟ ǝuobɹǝpun buıʌɐɥ 'bop ɐ 'uʎןǝʌǝ
Weirdo
Elite

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search Apple User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:14 am »

This stuff looks very cynical and interesting, I'll read the rest later and post my opinions.
Report Spam   Logged

Shameless self promotion : Any Last Words

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum