Aisenfield
March 29, 2024, 06:28:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: They've taken the hobbits to Aisenfield!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Official Anime and Manga Recommendation Thread

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Anime and Manga Recommendation Thread  (Read 770 times)
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »

We all love anime and manga.
(Well, all of us in this particular section of the forum do.)
And as anime or manga (or both) lovers, we're all on the look out for new, or old ("If I haven't seen it, it's new to me.") animes/mangas that'll catch our interest.

So I've created a recommendation thread. (Also, because I'm behind in anime news and don't know what's the goodin's are out there lately.)

Basically you give a genre such as; Action, adventure, romance, comedy, magic, gaming, historical etc.

Then you give the title (or titles) followed by a short summary of the anime, so we can know a little bit about it.

A strict NO SPOILER rule will be in place here. Don't say anything that you wouldn't find in, say, a DVD backing of the title in question.

Just give a summary of the anime. Don't say "Great anime/manga, but the ending sucks" either. Let the people decide for themselves.

Also, might I add that this is not a "I do not recommend" thread. Because that'll basically turn to flaming.

We all good?

Okay then. Suggest away, my otakus.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

EHW
Addict

Hey, it's that prick EHW!

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:20:35 pm »

If any manga (which, let's face it, in all but the most extreme cases is superior to anime) would be recommended by me, I would recommend Naruto.

Naruto is an ongoing Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto. The plot tells the story of Naruto Uzumaki, an adolescent ninja who constantly searches for recognition and aspires to become a Hokage, the ninja in his village that is acknowledged as the leader and the strongest of all. In his struggle for acknowledgement, we the readers come across many different characters with different abilities, as well as finding a plot which sucks you in and when you've finished the latest chapter, has you sulking for the next week until it comes out.

To read the complete series so far, up to and including the second installment, Naruto Shippuden, visit the following site: www.onemanga.com
Report Spam   Logged

Eido/ Eido Version 2/ Wraith/ Aidan - Credit to Zarean

Avatar courtesy of Zarean of Aisenfield/ miha-mimiko-kyattuha of deviantART.com.

Personal Text edited by EHW - so no-one need take offence or blame.
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:12 pm »

If any manga (which, let's face it, in all but the most extreme cases is superior to anime)
You raise a good point.
I can't believe I ignored that. Edited for manganess. XP
Report Spam   Logged

Sichlu
A Protector of the Omniverse
Resident

Delicious! Just like Mama!

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

Although some anime fall short of their manga origin, many actually match the standard. An example would be the hilarity that is Soul Eater. In addition, those which are made as anime first (and then maybe made into manga) are also often good, Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop for exam...ple...

Now i probably ought to advertise them all... not my original intention, but okay!

Soul Eater is an ongoing manga series by Ookubo Atsushi, which is also being adapted into an anime. The story tells about a variety of characters, most notably Maka Albarn and Soul Eater, who attend Shinigami Buki Shokunin Senmon Gakkō, or Shibusen, who train as weapons and meisters in order to prevent the return of the being of insanity, the Kishin. With action and comedy all in one big stew, it truly is a marvelous series. The only downside is that the manga is only released once a month, while if you were hoping to watch the anime online, recently some of the episodes are being taken down, but don't let that stop you.

Code Geass is a completed anime series of two seasons created by Sunrise, directed by Gorō Taniguchi and written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, with original character designs by CLAMP, and has two manga spin-offs. In 2011, the Britanian empire, the last remaining superpower of the world, attacked and conquered the islands of Japan, using experimental robots known as Knightmare Frames. As a result of the conquest, Japan became Area 11, and it's citizens, now Elevens, were stripped of their rights and freedoms. Seven years later, the story focusses on Lelouch Lamperougue, a former prince of the Britanian empire, who obtains the Power of Kings: Geass, with the ability to bend the wills of others to his own. With his newfound power, he seeks to destroy his father's empire to avenge his mothers death, and to create a world safe for his crippled sister, Nunnally. Although some might pass this series off as another mecha, the robotic battles are nothing compared to the complex and gripping plot.

Finally, Cowboy Bebop. If you haven't heard of it, you're missing out. This anime series of 26 episodes, also from Sunrise, with two short manga series, were written by Keiko Nobumoto and directed by Shinichirō Watanabe. Taking place in the far future, where Earth is no more, but it's people populate the rest of the solar system, Cowboy Bebop tells the story of Spike Spiegel and Jet Black, two bounty hunters trying to make a living taking down the large number of criminals now thriving in the solar system. Not only is the story funny and action packed, the biggest part of it is the intricate and varied music that is brought to the table, each episode being themed to different music that complements the show.

I actually could've recommended many more, but in the end, i feel it's better to let people find new, exiting things for themselves, and not be completely led in one direction. Who knows? Maybe they'll find something and advertise it that I would take interest in...

Most of the mangas mentioned can also be found at www.onemanga.com.
Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop can be found at good ol' YouTube (last I checked), though if you're having problems finding Code Geass, i can recommend www.animeblogz.com, which also releases the new episodes of Soul Eater, though many of the old ones have been removed.
Report Spam   Logged

"As I lay in bed, looking at the stars, i ponder to myself...
Where teh f*k is my ceiling???"

Who knows what evil lurks in the nostrils of men?
-The Shadow Nose

He who often falls asleep in fruit drink,
often gets punch in nose.

A cookie to whoever can guess where these come from!

Meh, I kinda felt all that stuff before was unnecessary, so I'm not gonna bother. I will, however, keep my claim on "97!", just 'cause I like it too much.

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at PokePlushies!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum