Aisenfield
April 19, 2024, 02:49:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Random news is random.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

FanFic Freak's Story Rating Center

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FanFic Freak's Story Rating Center  (Read 839 times)
The FanFic Freak

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:40:04 pm »

Hi everyone! If you haven't met me already, I'm the FanFic Freak, and I simply love reading and critiquing! With the consent of DarkToph, I have been allowed to post this Rating topic here on the board; its purpose is to help readers get some straightforward, comprehensive feedback on their compositions. I sure hope it doesn't infringe on the rules of the forum, as it isn't Fan Fiction itself . . . if this is, in fact, against the rules, then I apologize! Please delete it if need be. Thank you!

I usually rate stories out of 100 points because it's just easier that way for me and you to put your compositions into perspective.

Here is how I rate your FanFics:

P.I.G.S.C.O.W!

Confused?

Plot (20 points) - How deeply and thoroughly have you developed the storyline?
Interest Level (10 points) - How good is your story at catching the reader's attention and keeping it?
Grammar/Fluency (15 points) - How clean is your English, and how well do you use it in your writing?
Setting (20 points) - How well do you describe and expand on the surroundings, and how pertinent are they to the action?
Characters (20 points) - How well-developed are your characters, and to what extent do they contribute to the storyline?
Originality and Memorability (10 points) - How unique and unforgettable is your story among its peers?
Wholesomeness (5 points) - When I finish reading your story, do I feel satisfied? Does your story have a lasting effect on me? Does your story fulfill your capabilities as a writer? (This is sort of like the 'Tilt' feature; basically, your story gets a slightly higher or lower overall grade based on how I feel after reading it, regardless of the other categories.)

If you feel that I should not include one of these categories in your rating (for whatever reason), please tell me in advance and I will make sure not to focus on that aspect of your Fic. (Ex. The setting of your story isn't important, so it would be better for me to focus on the other aspects of your story, like the characters and plot.)

Here is the grade list based on the amount of points you collect:

(A+) >94%
(A) 85 - 94
(A-) 80 - 84
(B+) 75 - 79
(B) 65 - 74
(B-) 60 - 64
(C+) 55 - 59
(C) 45 - 54
(C-) 40 - 44
(D+) 35 - 39
(D) 25 - 34
(D-) 20 - 24
(F) <20

As you can see, this format makes it easier to get an okay grade and less likely to get a bad grade, but also makes it much harder to obtain a top grade. Trade-offs!

Here is a sample rating table (please keep in mind that my reviews will be much more specific and much less generic than this):

Keep in mind while reading my reviews that these analyses are only based off of my humble opinions. I am not an English teacher, a writer, or even a professional critic -- I'm just a high school sophomore! -- and thus I am prone to making mistakes. While I promise I'll be as fair as I can be when I review your story, you should always take my comments with a grain of salt. It's only one girl's opinion, after all.

In addition, heed this: I don't criticize, I critique. If your story truly deserves an F, then it will get an F. I will be completely honest when I give out my reviews. I will never bash a story without reason, but at the same time I won't mindlessly praise a heavily flawed story, because that will only lull the writer into a sense of satisfaction (and that's a very big no-no). We are striving for perfection here, people! My reviews are only here to help -- take 'em or leave 'em.

I hope that's all. Please either PM me or post on this topic if you'd like your FanFic reviewed. Although my analysis may not help your story out, in the end it might give you a sense of some of the basic elements that constitute a well-written story. That's all I can ask for!

By the way, feel free to ask me for multiple reviews. Your story might look very different two weeks after my first review. If you want, I can compare and contrast your original concoction to your edited tale; I'm up for anything, really!

Thank you for your time, and happy writing! ^^

Sincerely,
- F.F.F.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jirae
The Great One's Redemption
Esteemed Members
Resident

DAIEOSKAIL: REVELATION

Combination Topic Starter Level 4 Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »

Uhh...
DT allowed this?

I'm all for a fanfic rater, but...
You could just post your critiques in the fanfic's own topics.
Not sure the thread's really necessary.
Ah well. If somebody else allowed it, *shrug*.
Report Spam   Logged

I am Burninating_Torchic of Pokemon Crater. Call me Jirae or BT.

It's here.

Credit to Esepibe for the image.

Old Works:
Pokemon: Elemental Legacies
Pokemon: Elemental Legacies: Olemenun Academy
Daieoskail
Graycard
DarkToph
Ruler of all things Dark and Tophy.
Global Moderator
I ♥ Aisenfield!

I am the Queen of Randomness. You may gawk at me.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:51:04 pm »

Yeah, I did.
I thought it'd be okay.

I see reviewer topics for art and stuff in other forums so I figured a fan-fic one would be okay.

It's not disturbing anything, it'll be fine. =]
Report Spam   Logged

The FanFic Freak

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:38:53 am »

Uhh...
DT allowed this?

I'm all for a fanfic rater, but...
You could just post your critiques in the fanfic's own topics.
Not sure the thread's really necessary.
Ah well. If somebody else allowed it, *shrug*.

Oops! I probably should've been more specific about the purposes of this topic when I first posted it.

The reviews themselves won't be posted in here; like you said, they'll appear in the actual reviewee's FanFic. This topic exists only for two reasons:

1. Explaining the fact that I am a FanFic rater, so that people have knowledge of it, and
2. Providing a venue for those writers to contact me if they want their story rated, though they can also PM me if they choose to do so.

I hope that clears it up. Sorry about any confusion this may have caused!
Report Spam   Logged
Terak
Occassional Appearer-After-Long-Spans-of-Time
Global Moderator
Resident

Possibly a Ghost

Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:45 pm »

I support this idea, too. I do understand Jirae's reason to be doubtful, since technically this could mean anyone could open up their own fanfic rating thread and fill up a lot of space in the forum, but I don't think we need to be so cautious; as long as it doesn't go out of hand, I think it's a very good thing. I'd consider this an exception, anyway, due to the reason that FFF is using a carefully thought out system. I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread progresses.

Carry on. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Leon Magnus
WILL SCREAM YOUR NAME FOR HUGS.
Greenhorn

I swear, the place is crowded with Mods. XD

Combination Topic Starter Level 4 Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:33 pm »

I wonder, dear...

Have I seen you somewhere before? There's an idea which is kind of similar to this...

... Maybe not.

But ovarall, good luck on the rating. XD
Report Spam   Logged

SEIBA!

Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, "Unlimited Blade Works.

- Fate/Stay Night, Archer

I, Leon Magnus, hereby claim the following.

- Tales of Destiny boys
- Tomoya from Clannad
- Sunohara from Clannad

List is shortened because of emo admin Pickleee~  >(
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:35:01 pm »

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1544017/

^ That is a close friend of mine, well not that page, but the profile belongs to her. She suggested you read them if you like 'em. All of them are pokemon related apart from 'The Zodiac Spirits'. She updates every week and is interested in the feedback you have. =)

You can email her because her address is on that page.
 (NONE OF YOU READING THIS STALK HER! That is my job ^^)

Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water
The FanFic Freak

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:19:04 pm »

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1544017/

^ That is a close friend of mine, well not that page, but the profile belongs to her. She suggested you read them if you like 'em. All of them are pokemon related apart from 'The Zodiac Spirits'. She updates every week and is interested in the feedback you have. =)

You can email her because her address is on that page.
 (NONE OF YOU READING THIS STALK HER! That is my job ^^)

Oops! *sweatdrop* I apologize, Renn; for some reason I thought I had replied to this already! I really am losing my mind.

I have read all of The Map Route Less Taken (or at least what's she written so far) and four or five chapters of The Price as well, but I'm not sure which one Winds of Water would prefer for me to review. Could you please ask her which one she'd rather I focus on first?
Report Spam   Logged
Malibu
The main benefactor of DT's big shiny sword
Global Moderator
Resident

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 05:46:11 pm »

She would like you to focus on The Price, she is also uploading a sequel to it at the moment. ^_^ Thanks.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been...odd lately. ^_^

Report Spam   Logged

made me picture the mods as furry little animals about to be killed on the Discovery channel.
-Winds Of Water

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum